Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

WTF, PARKING on a residential street for 2 days, against law?
Find answers to your legal question.

WTF, PARKING on a residential street for 2 days, against law?

We have limited parking in our street and this guy who lives on the other side of the block came and parked his car in front of my house and left it there for 2 days. It was inconvenient for us to now have to park our car far from our house but we were nice about it when we politically informed him that we didn't mind him parking his car there, but for 2 days?

He's done this more then once.

MY QUESTION IS, is there a limit to how long a person can park and leave their car on a residential street?

there are no signs on my street that ban parking at any hours other then street sweeping. but still, 2 days, almost 3.. is there a law against that in California?

Brian
Rating
I found a website that has a list of laws for parking in California that I added below in my sources, but the second to last one says that "Some larger cities have residential parking schemes, where non-residents are limited to two hours' parking in the area on weekdays between 8am and 6pm (or similar times — the details vary)." Also, if he's blocking your driveway that's illegal. Don't know if that describes your situation exactly, but the other laws might so check it out.

Paul
Where I live, in Anaheim, Ca., you can leave your car legally in the same spot for 72 hrs. You will only be cited if someone complains to the PD, and they come out and mark the tires, and the car still stays there for more than 3 days.

About all you can do is "accidentally" let your lawn sprinkler spray water on the car for an hour or so, leaving water spots.

P.S. there are no parking regulations that are state wide. Each city has their own ordinances. There are no signs in my neighborhood regarding length of time allowed for parking, but the city ordinance says "72 hrs".

StephenWeinstein
In California, it is usually unlimited for cars. Well, almost unlimited. When a street is repaved, all the cars need to be removed. Therefore, it is effectively limited to the amount of time between repavings.

In the case of your street, the limit is the amount of time between street cleanings. The ban of parking during street cleaning is the only reason why a car cannot be left on the street for three months at a time.

UCANTCME
This is what I found for parking in California.

As long as there are no signs prohibiting parking in front of your house, then its public property and open to anyone. Your mailbox and your driveway cannot be blocked, this is a law violation.

Dawson
On a public street down town can the City counsel give a private (residential) Parking to an individual who lives in front of that space. I did not think it was legal for a city council to designate a private parking space for an individual who built a house with his business on a commercial zoned area on a street down town. If you have enough friends on the city council what are the limits? If it is legal then anyone who lived down town should also get there private space to park on property that we all pay for.

tgilbert510
what is the law regarding parking construction equipment on a residential street and leaving it for days in covington, kentucky? for instance large flatbed trailers with back hoe on it for one example.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Driving speed in school zones not on school days?
I live in Nevada and going to take a driving test, I know they are going to test me driv in school zones, but right now, schools are out, should I driv 15m/h or go with the normal speed? Thanks!...

How do you tell the difference between a Somali pirate with inocent fishermen?
They both from the same place, Somalia.
Fishermen carries weapon to protect themselves.
Pirates carries fishing gear to feed themselves.

What's your opinion on this?

Are there any classes in the US teaching left-side driving?
Surely somewhere there must be a driving school that teaches hands-on driving on the left side of the road? I live in NYC but could travel a bit. I just don't want to get clear to New Zealand ...

Has anyone heard about a mixture of the yield sign and stop sign?
i read an article about it the other day and wanted to know what everyone thought about it?
good idea or bad? and why?
-- it hasn't been made yet but a guy is trying to get it ...

do car seats go out of date?
i was told my sons car seat had went out of date 9 yaers ago how do i find out if this is true or ...

how to reset an automate car alarm?
I have a 2000 toyota corolla and with an automate car alarm with key less entry. Just today, I noticed when I disarm and unlock my car with the remote, the driver's door lock was already open ...

i f under age son drives drunken father in car what are consequences for both/ireland?
CAR BELONGS TO FATHER AND IS TAXED AND INSURED BUT SON HAS NOT COVERED

Should I risk driving past a due car service (please read details)?
Alright, so my mechanic has told me that in about 1000km, I need to replace my timing belt. Thing is, I can't afford it, and i'm meant to be going on holiday next week (driving about 2000km)...

A driving question!! its really easy?
i know this might sound like im an idiot but i was just wondering this, im 15 and i got my permit yesterday and i didnt read the book and passed the first time taking it, and i was wondering when you ...

does the switch allows for the safety device in this sentence?
the equipment must be connected to the power by way of a switch, which allows for disconnection under emergency and a safety device, which can protect the equipment.
does the switch allows for ...

Safety for myself.....?
Yes you see, I can't stand the ghetto. I have to go to work on a route that's in the ghetto. All those d@mn teenagers with their pants bellow their knees, gangsters, gangs, and graffiti. It ...

How come people can take the DMV Driving Test in DIFFERENT languages; but, ALL the STREETS SIGNS are in Englis?
this makes no sense to me!!
Additional Details
{{english}}...

Is this an illegal turn?
Today while I was driving my dad was in the car.

We came upon a four way intersection on a two lane road. I need to turn right on a divided highway but be in the left lane. Since there ...

How difficult is it to drive a car with the steering wheel on the right and on the left side of the street?
I am planning a trip to Ireland and Germany but the thought of driving a car there makes this middle age american woman more nervous than i am normally. i'd like to hear from other americans ...

does tires size matter on speed?
Hi. i changed my tires and placed it with bigger tires. not the rims just the tires. and my car seems to be much slower. i wanna know does it matter?
Additional Details
i putted taller ...

What are the new Airbags made of? Even If they haven' changed, what materials are used to make the airbag?
I've searched everywhere, but I can't find the materials used to make just the airbag? PLEASE HELP

T...

Can you drive other people on a learners permit, with an adult of 25 in the passesnger seat?
In the state of California.
Please site your source....

How many children die in a hot car a year in the U.S.A.?

Are People With Tourettes Allowed To Drive A Vehicle?

Additional Details
Is It Safe?...

Driving over potholes....?
What type of damage happens to a car when you drive over potholes???

Can it break your axle or anything???...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, July 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links