Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What age can a baby sit face foward in a car seat?
Find answers to your legal question.

What age can a baby sit face foward in a car seat?

jeffrey b
Rating
you can baby sit tight the car seat. child seat for child not age of 8 or 1.2 metre height. drive safety .

It's snowmobile season
The book that came with our car seat recomends, Over 1 year old and 20 - 40 lbs and 29'' - 40'' tall.
Hope this helps....

wendytischler
It is recommended by the AAP (2001) and child passenger safety technicians that you keep a child rearfacing to the maximum limits of the convertible seat (30-35 pounds, depending on the seat).

Each step "up" in carseats is a step down in safety. The safest person in a car is a rearfacing child. Next is a forward facing and harnessed child, then a child in a booster seat, then a person in nothing but the seatbelt. To go beyond that, people in the backseat are 40% safer than those in the front. Though that number is probably changing with the number of airbags surrounding front passengers.

A child's vertebrae are not fully formed and ossified until close to six years of age. Initially they are comprised of three small bones held together with cartilage. The cartilage can move up to two inches in a forceful collision, taking the three bones with it. However, the spinal column that runs through the bones can only move up to 1/2" on a good day. So you want to give your child's vertebrae as much time to ossify and strengthen as you can, as close to six as possible.

When a child is rearfacing the entire seatback takes the brunt of the force in a frontal or side impact collision. Those are the most serious collisions, accounting for 96% of serious collisions (not accounting for 96% of all collisions, rear enders and minor fender benders are the most common, but only 2-4% of serious collisions are from the rear). With the crash forces spread out over a larger area, the amount the body feels is less. The entire child is cradled during the inital impact. The harness then has to catch the child on rebound, which is significantly less force than the initial impact.

When forward facing the child's torso will take the initial impact, slamming toward the point of impact into the harness, rather than into the entire seat. The head slams forward and then is caught by the seat on rebound.

Someone else already posted my favorite crash test videos, but I'll post them as well.

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg
http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWside240.AVI
http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWoh200.AVI

Here is a great article about when to forward face. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

Heather S
It is safest to have your child face rear for as long as possible. There are seats on the market that rear-face to 33 or 35 pounds. Just be sure there is an inch of shell over your childs head.

Here are some links to videos of crash tests with front and rear facing dummies.
FRONT FACING: http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos
REAR FACING: http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWside240.AVI
http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWoh200.AVI

Here are a couple of video that also discusses the benefits of rear-facing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
v=kRP7ynNI8mI

babygirl13
Rating
In Washington State they have just changed/upgraded the law. Here are the key points:This goes into effect June 1, 2007
1. The driver is responsible to make sure all children under 16 are secured in their seat belts.
2. Children under the age of 13 must ride in the back seat at all times, unless it is impractical for them to do so.
3. Children over the age of 8 must wear the seat belt correctly over the shoulder NOT under the arm.
4. Children under the age of 8 must use the correct child restraint system.
5. Infants must ride in a rear facing car seat until they are one year of age OR weigh 20 pounds (whichever comes first).

Hope that helps!

?
Rating
One year AND twenty pounds.

andrew_major2002
Rating
Best thing to do is to contact a local law enforcement agency. I know in Colorado you can even take your car and seat to the state patrol, and they will even install the seat and give you all the info you need.

i_follow_railway_beds
Rating
never put a child seat in the front seat. use the most centre position avaliable in the rear.

deepzenpill
one year old

contrary mary
Rating
At my sons Dr. office the chart says that front facing child seats should be used once the child reaches 20 lbs.

lovepets
about 10months

J messy pants
I believe that the child should be first off, clean and dressed, next seat the childs' bottom (butt) should be placed gently into the secured car seat, knees bent, fastening only then the belt/harness over the childs' head and across chest and belly, next "click" the metal end of the belt securly into the female portion of belting system. Give it a good tug to ensure correct connections and I think you should be all set.
Drive Safe

Vman
When there neck is strong enough to hold their head up and their back straight for an extended amount of time or about 1 year or a little bit older.

Hannah
10 or 80 pounds

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If you can make a right turn on red but choose to wait until it is green, is that illegal?
I know people dont like when you do it.
That is beside the point.
Just answer my qustion. :D...

Do dwarfs, and midgets, have to use child protective car seats, is it a law

Why do imported cars have to have a governor put on them?

How much over the speed limit can you drive before being arrested?

What are three reasons people should wear their seat belts in the back seat?

Car seats? is my 5 year old allowed on the front seat?
is my 5 year old allowed to travel on the front passenger seat if he has a booster cushion? or does he have to stay on the back seat?...

Points on Licence?
What i mean is if you drive 3,000 miles per annum you are allowed 12 points i.e. 4 errors however if like me you travel 60,000 miles per annum i am only allowed 4 errors !!!!! sureley following the ...

Is it illegal to put your feet on the dashboard while driving?
I love sticking my barefoot on the dashboard, half out the window and stickin my hand out the window to feel the wind push it back as I resist it. It's my favorite thing to do, but I always ...

Who is at fault for this incident / accident?
I was going down the road in my gmc truck and the spare tire thats mounted under the truck fell off and the car traveling behind me hit it.. (the spare tires on these trucks are mounted with a cable ...

Why do drivers have to drive past road closed signs???
we work on the highways and when we close a road to carry out roadworks we attract more traffic than ever, then get abused when we send them back. why not read the signs ...

Is it safe to drive with a small dog on your lap?
To me, this is dangerous. Does anyone else feel this way?
Additional Details
Is there anyone I can call to report this? Maybe my local police station?...

My friends daughter?
Got flashed by a speed camera a couple of weeks ago. She was doing about 10 miles over the speed limit (silly cow) but she's never been 'got' before. She asked me how much I thought ...

New Driver-question about letting go of the wheel?
I just got my permit a couple weeks ago and I had my first required lesson with a driving teacher. He told me to, after making a turn, let go of the wheel so that the vehicle can automatically ...

Is it illegal to use a car seat in a single cab pickup?
I'm not positive but I think it's illegal to install an infant car seat in the front seat. So if the vehicle doesn't have a back seat, is it illegal to use it? If it makes a ...

Why is it a law that people are required to wear a seat belt?

Anyone else afraid of old people driving?
anyone else afraid of old people driving? The other day, I noticed an old person driving so nervously, that his car kept drifting along the lanes. There was also some glare but still. He was an ...

Whats the best airline to go on?
i say emirates and sudi arabian airlines but are they better 1s?...

How long do i have to keep my 'p' plates on after i've passed my driving test?

Why do people not wear their seat belt?
i mean come on they save lives its proven why wouldn't you wear one... don't give me that its uncomfortable crap... they save lives its proven...trust me i know
Additional Details<...

What is the speed limit in a school zone?
cuz i just got a ticket for going 28 mph even though i am sure i wasn't going 28
Additional Details
i live in ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links