Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What are my chances of getting this seat belt ticket dismissed?
Find answers to your legal question.

What are my chances of getting this seat belt ticket dismissed?

I was issued a ticket for no seat belt and I WAS wearing it. I was on one side of a busy intersection and the officer was across on the other side. I told him I was wearing it and he could clearly see when he pulled me over that I was but he said he saw the two straps hanging which is untrue. I was driving a single cab pickup and did have clothes hanging directly behind me. I just want to know how he believes he could see inside my truck with tinted windows and 50 ft away while cars were passing thru the intersection. Last but not least he also wrote down my race as white which I didnt know was a race and he didnt make me sign the ticket. By the way Im hispanic. If his vision is so bad he couldnt tell what race I am could he also have been wrong about the seatbelt. This was also on Dec 29 end of the month, maybe I fell victim to a quota deadline. I have til today to pay the ticket or be at court at 10 to fight it. What are my chances? I was also going to go back to the intersection and have my wife sit where the officer was and take a poic of me where I was b/c there is just no way to see inside my vehicle. Would pics help my case? BTW I live in a small town in Texas. I would love to hear from police officers or anyone who has fought a ticket.
Additional Details
I wasnt using race as a factor I was stating that since he made an error on my race that he could also make an error on the seatbelt and also I was stating that b/c since the ticket has incorrect information could it be grounds for dismissal. Thanks guys I think I will show up at 10, taking off work early, court costs etc. are gonna add up but I refuse to pay for something I didnt do.

Rock Firestorm
Rating
No, you can't fight it. You can try but you're going to lose. The law states if the cop walks up and the seatbelt is not attached, he can site you. You cannot take it off before he walks up and say "I had it on but I just took it of." Tell the story you just wrote in court and you will lose. Cops don't give tickets just to give tickets and when you start the whole racism thing on top, you look foolish. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, and you're going to do what you want to do, but just remember you were warned.

PS . And why waste the time? It's not a point on your record, it's simply a small fine. Pay the fine and be done with it and next time wear your seatbelt (although I'm sure none of this is what you want to hear)

mtwaites
I think that you should go to the small claims court, and tell them your side of the story. If you do nothing, then it will go onto your record. This is your only chance to clear it.

the lock man
Rating
you should get a traffic lawyer- judges hate people representing them selves

lj1
Rating
If you were in the right, you should definitely fight it. Going to the scene and taking a few pictures is a great idea. They could mean the difference between you winning and losing your case.

steve G
Rating
fight fight take it to the Judge and show it

UCANTCME
Just tell the same story to the judge, dress nice and speak when spoken too and it will be most likely dismissed and being hispanic has nothing to do with this at all...

Plus if you dont get it dismissed then ask to take the "Texas Online Seat Belt Course" and good luck.

fan_of_the_ninja
This seems to me like he really wouldn't have been able to see whether you had your seat belt on or not. I have no experience with court cases, but I guess any evidence would help. If he was sitting that far away, and you have tinted windows on your truck, I would say that he easily could have made a mistake, and possibly not cared whether he was wrong or not. I for one do not have good enough vision to be able to see such fine details.

travellin jack
Fight it. these cops are so rediculous

jeff nelson
can an policeman give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt when its poor visability with rain on the side window of my van and steamed up on the inside does he not have to be 100 percent sure i wasant wearing it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If you are over 18 in ohio do you need to drive with someone who is 21 or a just licensed driver?

Legal driving age as well as holding a license in the UK?
Anyone know?
The current age, that is..>.>...

What would happen to you if there was a car in front of your driveway for at least for 5 hours? Tell me!?
a red car in front of your driveway.for 5...

This happened twice.. is it bad if you accidentally turned your car off but it was still in drive?? ?
can't believe this happened twice but it did wasn't paying attention....

How invented street light?
how invented street the

How do I know a driver's ed class is safe and educational?
I need to take driver's education. I want to try doing it online because I won't be able to commit to the actual class. I do not want to spend money for a course that won't teach me ...

Almost got hit by a car?
i was crossing the street on my way home, and at a cross a man stopped for me. When i was about half- way there he slammed on the brake (which made a terrifiying sound) and began to turn. He almost ...

Pulling out of a Parking Spot Question...?
I am parked in the street in front of the school. Car in front of me and behind me. No cars are coming--and I start to pull out. I get as far out to where I am partially blocking the street, but I...

How do you open up a lock help please!?
I need help opening a lock. Its one of those twist around ones by master lock picture at link below: http://www.northerntool. if would help if you do step-...

When do you should use winter tires and not use them?
I was wondering when is the average temperature have to be for you to buy winter tires? When you know that you shouldn't use winter tires anymore? Right now,where I live it is about 25 degrees ...

What are the height & weight safety minimums for children in the front seat with an airbag?

Whats the best way to know what the weight limits are on a utility trailer if it isn't labeled?

How will u know if your lane is ending on a freeway?

I know its eco-friendly and power to the green...but are these super tiny cars you see on the street safe?
All Im saying is that these little tiny electric cars are a good idea when it comes to reducing pollution in the air....but what happens when these cars are involved in a major accident? Just say ...

Am I too light to drive?
I'm getting my learners permit soon. I'm almost 16. But I only weight like 87-89 pounds. Do even weight enough to drive?

I'm only 4'9...

So i got a speeding ticket ?

Additional Details
sorry, first time using answers. i got a ticket going 83 in a 55 in upstate ny on 17 by liberty. In one of the court documents that they sent to me, it said that i ...

How can I beat nerves for my driving test?
Hey I have failed my test three times now, yesterday I did the whole test and was shaking the whole time, only had one minor fault (didnt check one of my mirrors as my possition changed reversing ...

I have 235/65-17 tires on my vehicle can i use 225/65/17?
they gave me brand new tires 225/65/17 and my vehicle uses 235/65/17 is it ok to use ...

How do I report a driver to Michigan's government?
I was on the road, and a guy that had to be around 80 years old was swerving left and right, into oncoming traffic, looking around like he didn't know what the hell was going on, and he was ...

When I should use OVER DRIVE & when not to.?
if i drive 80% of the time on city streets, should i engage OVER DRIVE or not?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links