Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What do I do about a handicap parking ticket?
Find answers to your legal question.

What do I do about a handicap parking ticket?

I was with my husband grabbing a bite to eat on the way home and we parked in a handicap spot and I forgot to put up my plac card. 20 min later we were getting ready to leave and there was a $132 ticket on the window. It was snowing all day and i had just spent 9 hours in doctors offices and hadn't eaten all day he's in the military and was working out on the flight line in the snow all day so we were both exhausted. I live in Utah. Is there any way I could get out of this?

eric
Take the handicap plac card with you to court to fight the ticket. Tell the judge you forgot to put it up. If you have paper work or can get proof of when you got the handicap plac card, bring that too so you can show that you had the handicap plac card at the time you got the ticket. I think the judge would dismiss the ticket if you tell him you just forgot to put it out.

If there's a phone number on the ticket, call it and tell them the situation and maybe all you'll have to do is go and show them that you have a handicap plac card and the ticket would be thrown out.

Ryan R
Rating
Go to the police station with your placard and explain the situation. You can't wait, though.

Eric F
you can try to fight it in court, otherwise, pay the ticket and not worry about it. without that sticker up where it can be seen, a cop will assume you're parking there just because.

UCANTCME
The ticket will be dismissed once they see that you indeed have one and best of luck.

chevypride0310
Rating
if you don't have the handicap placard on the rearview mirror or have a handicap license plate then the cop doesn't know so he has no other choice but give you the ticket

i understand you both being exhausted and real tired but not to sound mean but if you both had the energy to walk in somewhere and get a bite to eat then you would have the energy to stick the handicap placard on the rearview mirror so you have no real argument but you can try to fight it, they might reduce the fine or throw it out since you or your husband are legally handicap and just forgot to hang the placard on the mirror, just got to prove you ahd the placard legally before that date

theresa Velasco
I volunteer in the community constantly for the last 56 years. I am 78 years old and on this morning I was going to a new volunteer group. There was no one there when I parked and I went to put up the handicap sign but put it down as I had to look through the front glass to try and find the room # I was going to. Then got distracted by seeing people enter the door, so I grabberd my purse and put the handicap sign between the 2 seats on the console. I wrote in with all the copies of my handicap sign and etc. I got a note back from the officer saying I admitting to not putting the sign up and had to pay $338.00 or I could contest it. I can see having to pay if you do not have one, but this is hardly a big violation of the law and it was by a building that unfortunately, the police go into the bldg. across from it to go to the Credit Union. Should I bother trying to contest it?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When someone says they Rolled last night?
dosnt that mean they took ecstasy?
Additional Details
wow thats what i thought. eew my brothers a dousche bag!!!!
ima kick him in the teeth....

Why has everyone's driving habits got so bad lately(i.e. no driver courtesy, no turn signals, etc.)?
It seems like these days that people driving have become worse drivers. It seems like people don't use turn signals anymore, they can't stay in their lanes, they can't drive the speed ...

Rules of the road #5?
Name and explain fully five differences between city and highway driving. Why is it important to recognize these?...

Right of way in an intersection...left turn or right turn?
If I am turning left through an intersection and have a green light (not green arrow, just green light) and the person coming towards me is turning right and has a Yield sign, who has the right of ...

Can I still get my license?
I'm 17 & currently have my provisional license. My provisional ended about a week ago and I'm not sure if I can still apply for a regular license.

About a month ago I was in ...

How can I drive straight?
When I'm driving, I tend to drive closer to my left lane. I have a difficulty driving straight(ish) and my instructurs are beating me up for it. Is there a way to prevent me from doing it and ...

Do you think this is safe?
Im a 13 year old girl and im so boredddd. My parents arent home so ive decided to take a bike ride to rite aid. Its about a 20 minute to half hour bike ride there. I wanna get somee chocolatee!!! :) ...

Does it seem likely that stupid drivers cause accidents that they're not at fault for?
Let me give you some examples:
Say suppose a car pulls out on the road in front of you. You swerve in the oncoming lane to avoid hitting it and hit an oncoming car. The car on the wrong side of ...

Is this link really helpful for preparing you for a learner's permit test in AZ?
http://www.drivingdirect
if not, is there any tests out there that can help?...

Air Bags & Collisions?
Hey guys! See if you can answer these questions for me I would be very happy, thanks!

1. How does an air bag resemble a parachute? How is it different?

2. Is it possible to ...

NJ DUI records (read below)?
My dad got his first DUI ticket in 1985.
His second DUI ticket was in 1991.
His third DUI was in March 2009.

The problem is that in the most recent DUI in 2009, he had an ...

I have a queston about uk laws on child booster seats............?
I have a six year old son that travels regularly in the back seat with a booster seat . He keeps wanting to travel in the front seat. If he uses the car booster seat is he legally allowed to do so . T...

What is the minimum stopping distance of this car ?
Car weighs 1500 kg , travelling at 10m/s , brakes have max force of 3750 Newtons ? Formula ?...

I have a question about drivers ed?
ok so like in Janesville Wisconsin how many hours do you have to have in drivers ed? Like I'm starting April 14 and it's from 4 to 6. How many hours do you have to have driving?...

Methods to avoid accident?

Do I need to provide a Car seats in Taxi's?
I'm just wondering what people do if they need to take a taxi with their children? Car seats are mandatory for babies and car seats. What do people do if they don't have a car and they need ...

Why is driving your car bad for the enviroment?
Im doing my senior project and is about global warming and in order for me to graduate i got to do it so I need as much information on global warming as i can get....

Nervousness driving help?

Reporting an illegal vehicle inspection?
How do I report both the dealer that had the inspection done, and the station that performed the illegal test?
I live in Missouri, and have searched everywhere for hours.
Additional D...

Is it true fordfocus c-max.s are unreliable?
ive herd the power steering and a.b.s work off the same pump and these are liable to fail? are they reliable or not.im thinking of buying a 1.6tdci ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links