Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What do I do if I rear end someone, but they speed off?
Find answers to your legal question.

What do I do if I rear end someone, but they speed off?

Today I rear ended someone and their car was totally damaged. But, then the person sped off without even stopping.

I am home now and there is no damage to my car whatsoever. What do I do? Do they even have a valid lawsuit against me considering they could just write down anyones liscense plate number and use that?

cardinal
How could their car be "totally damaged"' and yours not even a scratch?
Worse case scenario, they sped off to go to the Emergency Room at the Hospital.
I would sit tight, admit nothing, and definitely not call your insurance company.
Another possibility is that they were backing up at the time and think they are to blame.

Casey
they probably didnt have a DL or Insurance. or it was a stolen car... normaly if i was rear ended, i would step out and ask the other guy if he or she was ok..

jack w
I would not worry to much about it. 1) They left the scene of the accident 2) They probably did not have insurance 3) your car was not damaged. good luck

Jeff
they no doubt had something to hide. No damage to your vehicle, I would not worry about it

One Day
Rating
If they ran off I doubt they even took the time to look what kind of car you were driving and obviously didn't get your tag number to be able to report you. If your car is not damaged I would not worry about it, they were probably illegal, or didn't have insurance.

kenbgray
Report it to your ins. and the police and then just wait and see what happens.

UCANTCME
I would still make a police report for your protection...

ThisGuy411
They probably didnt have a DL or Insurance or could have had a dead body or drugs in the trunk you never know these days. Just be glad the sped off because you would have been at fault.

mobilemark
Rating
its still hit and run and if caught (even though nobody was hurt(
they can get into trouble)

Kevin H
well what they did is illegal even if they were not at fault you need to call the police and tell them every thing most likely nothing will happen to you your a witness that is all just do not lie

fire fighter
Rating
well if you rear end someone it would be your fought. I f they speed off they probaly have something to hide. I wouldnt worry bout it even if there was damage. Just go get it fixed cause that is still your fougth and your citation.

kelly_f_1999
Rating
well if they drove off good chance it wasnt their car or wasnt legal to drive but shoul dhave see what color and type of car it was and got tag number then called the cops before driving away you wa **** by them you got a case if you hit someone they do an dyuo have no damage and they drove away i wouldnt worry over it they didnt stop to look sure it wasnt their car an dwanted to get away

.[]m[]®.X .+.
i got rear-ended by a drunk guy one time on a dark road. but there wasnt any damage so i told him he could leave. im a good guy like that

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does snow turn your local area to ciaos?
On the news all i have heard is how 'Britain' goes to pot when there is snow, which in some ways is true!
But where i live everything runs pretty smoothly, yes the schools close but ...

Why don't UK drivers fit winter tyres like they do in E. Europe?
...or at least buy them and keep them until snow is forecast, then fit them, or else buy snow chains and keep them in the car through the winter. Our problem is not gritting the roads, but making our ...

Who has right-of-way?
Let's say you come upon a four-way intersection without traffic lights. You arrive at the intersection at the same time an oncoming car does. The oncoming car wants to make a left turn while you ...

Who are the worst drivers?
men or women and list ethnic groups from worst to best with male and ...

What is the safest thing to do if a deer crosses in front of your vehicle?
We have lived in this rural area for almost a year and every so often you see a deceased deer on the shoulder and I wonder how the car made out? Cause they say that we have a large population of deer ...

My car was recently in an accident,car was hit at the left rear tire. there is a bulge in my tire safe or not?

My neice was in an auto accident, visible injuries, police didnt call EMT, put her in back seat..is this right
The airbag was deployed, which cause injuries to her face, neck, mouth, nose and arms. She was bleeding from several areas and the police did not call ambulance. They asked her (age 17..first ever ...

Is it poor driving practice to allow the steering wheel to slide in your hands as you "unturn" during a turn?
I am a senior and, when I learned to drive, test points were deducted if I allowed the steering wheel to slide in my hands. My daughter's driving instructor told her that it is OK to do that. H...

What does a continuous white line alongside the verge of a road mean? Especially with reference to parking.?

Why do people slow everyone down when they see car accidents on the highway? what are people looking for?
if its the gore factor, that means people dont think at all. public officials will not let the public see gore. thats the first order of bussiness...cover it up! another thing if they want to see ...

Teens, adults, should we raise the driving age to 18?
I'm tired of hearing about 16-year-olds dying in car wrecks because they were driving stupidly, or were otherwise outdriving their experience or maturity level.
Rather than the current ...

My car has an euro ncap safety rating of 5 stars. Does that mean it will be OK for me to have a crash in it.?

How dangerous is it for kids to ride in the car without child seats? I forget to strap them in when I'm drunk

If a driver hits a drunken pedestrian, whose fault was it?

Additional Details
This happened during darkness. Pedestrian was walking on the side of a road, not well lighted.

Very similar to a deer crossing the road at night, ...

I was in a mini car crash yesterday there was a cat in the road and i swerved into a nearby field lol...?
...what should i do?...

What are some ways to educate 16 to 21 year olds on driver safety?
I have to give a presentation on ways to improve and educate young people on driver safety. What is a good way to get them to listen and think seriously about driver safety?...

Should women be allowed to drive SUVs in cities?
I see them driving in Raleigh and go tsk tsk tsk. They are a threat to drivers getting distracted by their cell phones....

Should i report this car?
As i was crossin the road this morning, a taxi nearly hit me, and it was not my fault, should i report it or ignore it? I got his license number just in case
Additional Details
the ...

People who use mobiles whilst driving??
Despite this being illegal for quite some time now, I still see many people using their phones whilst driving. In my experience, the main offenders fall into the following categories and in this ...

Does pressing the "pedestrian" button at TRAFFIC lights really make any difference? I don't think it does.
I think traffic lights follow a sequence even if you press the button. - at least it appears so in Navan, Co Meath. I think it is a type of "Placebo" appearing to give you a choice. The ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links