Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What gap should be kept between you and the car in front on roads with fast moving traffic?
Find answers to your legal question.

What gap should be kept between you and the car in front on roads with fast moving traffic?

Dogsbody
Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule!
Once the car in front has passed a stationary object, you should be able to count 2 seconds before you pass the same object, or you are too close.
This applies at all speeds, but in adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain or ice, you should at least double it.

justme
Rating
The answers above or 1 car length for every 10 miles of speed you are doing. So if you are going 60mph you should have 6 car lengths between you.

Chariotmender
Rating
Speed Thinking distance Braking distance Total distance
20 mph 1.5 car lengths 1.5 car lengths 3 car lengths
30 mph 2.5 car lengths 3.5 car lengths 6 car lengths
40 mph 3 car lengths 6 car lengths 9 car lengths
50 mph 3.5 car lengths 9.5 car lengths 13 car lengths
60 mph 4.5 car lengths 13.5 car lengths 18 car lengths
70 mph 5 car lengths 19 car lengths 24 car lengths

These figures assume dry weather and good tyres and an average family saloon. Naturally, stopping distances will vary according to weather conditions, and some cars may perform in different ways.

Just Me
1 car length per 10 mph.
at 50 mph, there should be 5 car lengths between you and the car in front of you

nosdda
Rating
Generally it is one cars length for every 10 mph.

bill a
The two second rule. Find a landmark on the side like a speed limit sign and count one thousand one one thousand two. That or more. It is a five second rule for 18 wheelers. But you didn`t ask that.

Lizzie C
Rating
3 secs in dry weather and 6 secs in wet weather. This means that you should allow 3/6 secs in between you and another car. To judge this start counting when a car goes past a tree or post and as soon as it gets past it start counting how long it takes you to get there and past that same tree or post.

Del Piero 10
Rating
On any dual carriageway or motorway 3 or 4 car lengths is good. Always keep an eye on the brake lights of cars two or three cars ahead. On the M25 (and I'm being quite serious here) in rush hour the distance should be kept down to 3/4 of a car length, making the brake light spotting of cars further ahead even more important, otherwise you will have people dangerously cutting in front of you all the time ..

Mark B
The distances are given in the highway code which you learned when you passed your test.

The rule of thumb for dry weather driving is the 2 second rule. pick out a marking in front of you like a bridge and wait for the car in front to pass it. When it does, repeat the line 'only a full breaks the two second rule'. If you pass the bridge before you said it all then your too close. The distances can be nearly doubled in bad weather.

gearnofear
It's called the 2 second rule. look for a marker of any kind. once the car in front of you has passed that marker start to count if you reach the same marker before 2 seconds your following to close. 2 seconds may not seem like much but you figure at 60 miles and hour your travelling 90 feet per second. thats 180 feet between you and the other car. From 60 miles an hour it takes 130 - 175 feet to stop most cars... Hmmm .. Look 180 foot distance is a good buffer zone.

?
It's been a good 17 years since Driver's Ed for me, but I recall learning 1 car length for every 10 mph. So if you're going 70 there should be 7 car lengths.

WelshLad
The rule is 2 seconds.

When people don't follow this rule on motorways for example - that is why pile ups care caused - I have no sympathy for them.

Ladyfromdrum
Rating
One car's length for every 10 miles an hour is the correct equation I believe.

zaytox0724
I believe its 1 car length for every 10 miles per hour that you are traveling. But heres something to consider, if you are traveling at 70 miles per hour on the highway, and the vehicle in front of you swerves out from behind a stalled car, and if you are 2 seconds away, do you think you will avoid it? What if there are cars on each side of you? Anyway, just something to consider.

jenna
Rating
In australia its 3 car lengths....or 3 seconds. 1 second per car length doesn't give you much time for decisions, does it?

Mickey F
Yep,2 second rule.

Ian
A two second gap is the recommended minimum. Although four seconds is a more comfortable distance.
If you have an idiot driving 2 inches from your rear bumper then you may like to leave an even greater gap - just in case anything happens then you can brake very very gently!!!

ufo18
Rating
at least three of your own car lengths behind 50 MPH and above, increase seven lengths more at seventy (ten lengths )

loco_tech85
Rating
There is no definitive answer for this question, but I will give you the 2 rules of thumb.

Rule #1: is called the 2-second rule. Pick a fixed object (light pole, sign, overpass) ahead of you and the car you're following. Once the car in front of you passes it, start counting 1 thousand one, 1 thousand 2. If you get to the object before you get to 1-thousand 2, then you are to close.

Rule#2: is the footage rule. You should maintain 1-car length for every 10 mph of the posted speed. So if it's a 50 mph roadway, than there should be 50 ft. between the front of your car and the 1 you're following.

This doesn't apply to trucks, especially tractor-trailer combinations, buses & motorcycles. With these 3 vehicles you should actually have more than the amounts listed above.

zeggy
According to the Highway code the stopping distance of a car at 60mph is 73 metres (including thinking and reaction) so theoretically if you had to brake sharply to a stop at this speed you would need to leave 18 car lengths so to avoid hitting the car in front if they stopped and you had to. At 70mph, it is 96 metres (24 car lengths)

sastro 5
Rating
Approximate 5 m or 15 ft for safe your car moving

Elle J Morgan
Rating
When I learned to drive I was told ' tyres and tarmac '
As long as I can see these on the car infront then that's enough gap

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Standard of driving in UK appalling or not?
Do you feel that the above statement is true. I have a full UK licence for Motorcycles and I use them. Cars and HGV class 1 and I think it's time for repeat ability to drive tests say every 5 ...

'Why do people turn on their car FOG lights, when it rains?
Explain that logic - and don't give the rubbish about visibility?! High intensity fog lights only make the rain conditions worse. And don't forget what the rules are re turning on fog ...

What kind of driver are you?
Do you start effing and blinding and every other motorist who dares to test your patience, or are you calm and relaxed behind the wheel.

Also, do you stick to the speed limits. Be honest ...

Would you fail someone on their driving test if they splashed a pedestrian whilst driving through a puddle?

Do you think the UK legal driving age should be raised to 21?
I see so many teenage drivers who shouldn't be allowed to drive. They drive like idiots to show off in front of their mates and put their lives and other drivers' lives at risk. I'm ...

Are you allowed to drive home after your driving test,whether you pass or fail?
I read somewhere that your not allowed to,but wondered why?...

Does anyone know the number you can call if a suspicious unmarked car tries to pull you over?

If the maximum uk speed limit is 70mph........?
......why are cars manufactured to be able to go over this limit? There are all these campaigns like "Speed kills" so why are they allowing it to happen? It seems so simple to me.
A...

Should we ban 4x4s in urban areas?
there are too many 4x4s on our road i am starting a group to force local goverment and nstionl goverment to ban 4x4...

When driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission, is it proper to use your left foot for braking?
My wife says she was taught in drivers ed never to use your left foot on the brake....

When I drive through a tight space I hold my breath as if my car will breathe in too!!?
Does anyone else have any strange or unexplainable driving habits?...

Can i drive whilst using my handsfree phone kit?

Wat would you do if a police car comes from behind you with the 2 tones on and you are at a set off tra lights

Why do drivers need to stop for pedestrians? They should stop for us drivers instead!?
I got a ticket from a police officer last night because he said I came dangerously close to hitting a pedestrian in a crosswalk. However, I didn't see the pedestrian because it was dark outside, ...

Why do school buses hold their stop sign out when no one's even crossing?
Sometimes when I'm behind a bus or there's one on the other side of the street that has its stop sign out, I notice that there's no one crossing, which pisses me off because it seems ...

How is richard hammond doing?

Additional Details
no i do actually care....

Driving lesson advice?
My sons girlfriend is taking driving lessons (15 lessons so far) and wants to take her car out to get extra experience, my son says he go out in her car with her, he passed his test 3 years ago and ...

Should school buses have seatbelts?
I believe they ...

Would you ever drive at night with only one headlight?

How important are your children to you?
the reason i ask this is...on my way to the corner shop this morning i saw a lady putting her baby, which was in a car sit, into the back of her car and not put the seatbelt round it....i also saw ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links