Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What is a full stop - an instant, a second, 3 seconds?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is a full stop - an instant, a second, 3 seconds?

Traffic cameras in WA, at least in Lynnwood, take pictures 2.5 seconds apart. It seems that the car must be stopped 2.5 seconds to be considered a full stop. I have heard this but cannot find it in the WA law anywhere.

silver lining
Rating
A full stop is just that, a full stop. meaning your tires are no longer in motion, your vehicle is stopped. their is no "set time" and don't let anyone tell you different.
People who say their is a 3 second rule are probably the ones who grew up looking to their left, right, then left again before proceeding, this is a good habit to get into, and it takes about 3 seconds.

tommy44432
I figure if my wheels come to a complete stop...even for a millisecond...I complied with the law.

Michelle
Rating
When in doubt, just do it anyways.

logicalgal
Rating
In the Alberta Highway Traffic Act (Canada), the definition of STOP is "a complete cessation from vehiclular movement". This would mean no rolling whatsoever. I tell my students (yes, Im a driving instructor) to stop and then say to themselves "I HAVE STOPPED". This takes approximately 2 - 3 seconds. I can't see how a photograph would prove you didn't stop. A video camera would show this however. A policeman stopped around the corner would witness whether you stopped or not. In Alberta, there is a $289. fine and a loss of 3 demerits on your driver's licence if a police officer gives you a ticket. Added to that is the record on your Driver's Abstract, which the insurance company will see and increase your insurance significantly. Bottom line........make sure you stop! It hits your wallet hard! Oh, and that stop sign is probably there for a reason (smile).....

'Sunnyside Up'
Rating
A full stop is when the vehicle comes to a complete motionless stand still. Only then are you to take your foot of the break and apply it to the accellerator, of course checking for oncoming traffic. In our state, practically no one does a complete stop.

Superman
Rating
I found the count to 1-2-3 law right next to this one:
http://www.tomsjokes.com/content/legal-cynic.png

But seriously, a rule that you should stop only as long until it is safe to proceed is all that anyone should be required to obey. Washington is a sovereign state much like California so you have your own laws, much of which I am not very familiar. But I imagine if one would stop, count to 3, and drive into another, then that would be illegal by any law makers' standards. Obviously such a law if it does in fact exist does not exist for the right reasons and reform would be a necessity.

Cenobia
I think it's three seconds. When I took my driving test I was told to count to three at a stop sign, before moving on. I'm not sure theres an actual law, but that seems to be the rule of thumb.

Smarter than the average bear
Rating
The law in my state is that your wheels must stop moving.

Evan
Rating
When the cars' weight shifts. As soon as you stop and you feel that weight shift and your not being pushed on your seatbelt anymore that is a full stop.

Greg L
Rating
Laws in many states are different for how long a "stop" is. It is best, in any area, to wait 3 to 5 seconds so that you have time to see if there is any oncoming traffic, pedestrians, or other safety concerns. It takes 1.6 seconds, by the science, for your eyes and brain to see and begin to react to a concern. it then takes 0.5 seconds to get your muscles to start to move, so now you are over 2 seconds, and you haven't even put in radio, conversations, and other distractions. It is also helpful because Police have the same reaction times, and if you stop for 3 seconds, they will register the stop in their own heads.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How many people can be in a car when you first get your liscense?
Some people are telling me i can only have 1 friend and 1 family member, like saying i have two friends but no family members, Is this okay?
Additional Details
It is in TX...

If I witness a car accident, but...?
I faint at the sight of blood, should I stay and try to help, or do I just call 911 and wait for help? I couldn't live with myself if I just sat there while someone bled to death, but I'm ...

Having less than one drink can impair your driving?
true or false
i dont get this question... its ...

Is this another reason people who live in the city are so found of gas guzzling SUV's?
This is tragic.

Little Adrianna was hit by a 2 1/2-ton mass of steel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/
http://www.gregburch.net...

Just got a DUI?
I got a DUI and i got something from the police saying that my liscence was only going to be suspended for 6 months now i just got something in the mail from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety ...

Pedestrian crossings and cyclists!?
What is the law concerning the use of Pedestrian crossings by cyclists. In our area (and I am sure it is true elsewhere) cyclists seem to use pedestrian crossings without a thought for the motorist ...

How come so many people who own 4x4's or other expensive cars cannot afford hands free mobile phones?

Just a quick question?
I live on a small residential street in a small town and people drive really fast down my road. I, like many of my neighbors, have young children. I was wondering if anyone knows what government ...

So what exactly is Road Rage?
The first time I heard this term was way, maybe a decade ago on National news when these shootings on Los Angeles highways became common for a while. If I remember it was portrayed that the "...

What is the purpose of the "bright" lights on a car?
Aside from flashing your "brights" on other drivers that upset you, what purpose do they serve?
Additional Details
Alright smartasses, I live in SUNNY california and I've ...

A person was tailgating me in the right lane...?
To get rid of the person, I moved into the left lane to let them by. Then, at the stop sign they start making gestures back at me like I did something wrong. Of course, I said something out of my ...

Why is it against the law to drive without footwear?
Just curious about this. I was driving the kids to McDonalds and it hit me...why do we have to wear shoes when we drive?...

Do I need snow tires for the snow if I have a 4 wheel drive with all season tires?

How many drivers are at fault?
My question is actually about whether or not morality is absolute. Here's a scenario. Let's say there's a 20 car pileup on the freeway. Without further information, how many drivers ...

What have you learnt about driving from your parents i.e what to or not to do?
e.g I learnt not to drive too close to the car in front from my mum as once when approaching a roundabout the car infront slammed on their brakes and we went straight into the back. I learnt how to ...

Okay, someone must know. Why is it against the law to make a left turn into a gas station.?

Have you ever been a victim of someone else's road rage?
If so, what happened?...

Should you pick up hitchhikers?
What if it were you in need of help?...

How do u pervent getting ur pic taken by the cameras next to the street signals? ?
I'm just wondering, 'cause I don't wanna get a ticket for that, 'cause I heard their expensive....

Is it legal to drive a car with its boot open but tied down, for large loads?
on the motorway?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links