Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

What should you do when your tire blows out on your car while driving?
Find answers to your legal question.

What should you do when your tire blows out on your car while driving?

I learned this in driving school, but that was like 11 years ago and I have since forgotten. . .bad I know.
This happened to a friend recently and so I thought now would be a good time to have a refresher.
Also what do you do when your breaks fail on your car when you are driving?

WPB_LV_AV
You pull off the road and call someone to help if there is anyone you know close by....this is more for safety reasons. Once they're there change the tire to the spare and get a replacement tire as soon as you can.

If you are on the road and don't know anyone....Pull off and change the tire. If you don't know how to do this. Use your cell phone to cal 411 for a local towing company to come pick you up. Or the Local police so that you are safe, especially if it's night time.

Pancakes
Do NOT slam on the brakes. Coast as gently as possible to the side of the road.
When brakes fail, put car in 1st gear and again, gently coast to the side of the road. Parking brakes generally are never used and will probably not stop a car if needed in an emergency.

Minister
Take your foot off the gass,(DO NOT USE THE BRAKES !), shift into a lower gear, and allow the car to slow itself, as it slows gradually move off the road, and then lightly apply the Brakes to fully stop.

Eagleflyer
Try to keep the car moving in a straight line and don't slam on the brakes, but tap them gently, easing the car to a gradual stop.

If your brakes fail, you still have your emergency brake. In a stick shift, downshift until you can get the car into first gear and pull your handbrake (slowly). If that fails leave the car in gear and turn off the engine.

Sugar
Hold it then steer to the side of the road. leave flashers on.

marcelabipo
Rating
DONT PANIC!!

Wisenheimer
Rating
Grab the steering wheel as tight as you can to keep control of the vehicle and pull off to the side immediately to avoid getting hit. If your brakes fail, look around for the best place to "glide" to in order to safely come to a complete stop, and use your emergency brake.

Joe T
Accelerate then get off the road safely as you slow to a stop.

For the brakes you downshift and pull the emergency brake slowly as possible.

earl r
Rating
pull over

The Mr. Pine
Rating
Just stop accelerating and brake slowly if you have to and get to the side of the road.

KIZIAH
Rating
Take your foot off the gas and decelerate slowly as you steer your care to the side of the road, then gently brake until you come to a complete stop. Try to park on a flat, hard surface so that you can use a jack properly. Consult your car's manual to see where to place the jack correctly. Put on your hazard lights.

If your breaks fail, if possible coast to a stop, or use the emergency brake. Proper and timely maintenance and inspection of brakes should keep this from happening. If your brakes start to squeal when you apply them, they need replacing immediately.

Porterhouse
Tire blow out: Remain calm and take your foot off the gas and place it FLAT ON THE FLOOR. Turn on your 4way flashers and continue to grip the steering wheel firmly, yet not in a "DEATH GRIP". If it is a rear tire, you may apply steady brake pressure, but not abruptly. If you have lost a front tire, after coasting to reduce roadspeed, you may gently brake in order to get off the road.

***If a front tire blows out, you can expect the car to pull in that direction*****

Loss of Brakes or brake pressure:
Tuck and roll..... Just kidding!! :-) In an automatic vehicle, pull your transmission selector to a lower gear, in a manual transmission, downshift.

Most importantly in either case, if you are going to cause a greater accident by remaining on the road or are totally out of control, find a soft patch of ground or guardrail to run against in order to save both yourself and passenger and anyone else whom you may jeopardize by not doing so. It is NOT first nature to do this, but replacing a car or having body work done is cheaper than seriously injuring someone in an auto accident.

bozotexino
brake lightly,pull to side of the road slowly.use the emergency brake,if it has a release button hold the button in while using the brake or down shift to a lower gear

gregthomasparke
Rating
First off, DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES, this is the absolute worst thing you can do. The best thing to do is apply moderate brake pressure, and come to a gradual stop, don't try to stop on a dime, you will lose control. If you just slowly apply the brakes, and come to a slow stop you will stop safer. When a tire blows out, you will start lose control and you will usually over steer to compensate for it. Just aim to steer straight and to not make any sudden movments, if you are on the rim (usually induced in a blowout), you will lose traction and that end of the vehicle will have the tendency to slide out.

alaisjones
Rating
I think you need a new auto.
Blown tire: Slow down and pull off road. Do not make any sudden turns.

Brakes fail: slow down and gear down. Move to side of road until you stop.

Good luck.

Rose
pull on the side of the road and flash your lights so know one hits you and call for help

md.pierce
A guess...

Decrease speed. Control steering as the car will be trying to go where it wants to now that it has three tires.

Pump brakes intermittantly? Has this changed since ABS?

mister ss
If your tire blows out never hit the brakes, let it coast until you can come to a stop, and if your brakes fail use your emergency brake to stop and also gear the transmission down to a lower gear until you come to a stop.

Joe Bunda
Rating
i have done this before! when a tire goes out turn to the oposite side of the blown tire and slow to a stop. if brakes goe out down shift or if in an automatic, use the e-brake.

loveyou
Stop or else you will ruin the tires. If you must drive a little ways to pull off the side you can.

jjc92787
Rating
Either pull over and fix the problem if you have the proper materials to do with you otherwise either stop and call Triple A or keep driving until you get to the nearest gas/service station.

mc
let off the accelerator try to keep your steering wheel strait and use your hand brake turn on your 4 way lights if your brakes fail use your hand bake a.k.a e brake (emergence brake) if you have to try rubbing the side of your tire on the side of the curb to slow you down

vette1
Rating
I had my breaks fail when all 4 tires blew out at the same time. I died. I learned my lesson. Now I drive on my rims so I don't have to worry about my tires anymore.

suzy
stupid question!

Helen E
well obviusly ...you eat ur tire and put a wheel of cheese for ur spare tire..and when ur brakes fail you...you can always put a clump of hair for ur new brake...i did this and it was awesome and i will never regret cutting all my hair off..and P.S i ate a pink lizard at the mall..maybe u will too :]

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Locked car doors whilst driving?
somebody told me that i should lock my car doors when i get into my car because somebody could try to rob/hijack me when i stop at a junction or traffic lights....

however i live in quite ...

Why do people speed when there is no other options but to be patient on the roads.?

How Many People Die From Drunk Driving Every Year?

Are you guilty of this?
I have been driving since the eighties and have never been the cause of accident (though I have been hit a few times). It never ceases to amaze me with the number of times people fail to indicate ...

Why did the chicken cross the road? I want the true answer.?
Do not say "to get to the other side" because that is not the true answer....

Why do people ride motorcycles without wearing a Helmet ??
they like the possibilty death ? Ignorance ? Stupidity ? "the law can't tell me , I need a helmet" attitude ??...

Why is there brail in the drive-thru ATMs?
explain....

Scared when driving, I want to give up!?
I am soon leaving for UK and need to learn driving I can't drive in highway here in Manila because I feel everybody surrounds me is practicing suicidal driving.I have some fear of height and ...

How many beers you can drink and drive?
Legal limit is 80mm alcohol per something, 10mm makes 1 unit one can of Stella has about 2.2 units which means I can drink nearly 4 cans of Stella and still drive safely??? A...

Does anyone think when you get to 65 you should take your driving test again? i do some of them are not safe?

Can a cop pull you over for suspicion?
If I am going the speed limit and not doing anything wrong, can an officer pull me over if he runs my plates? Second question: can an officer run my plates for the hell of it or does he need a legal ...

Have you ever driven in snow before.?
How did you find it? I drove in it for the first time today. Never again! I tried my best to be real careful but still managed to slide a little a couple of times when slowing down gently. How did ...

Whats the speed limit on a normal road?

Do you think that seat belts will really help you in a car acedent?
I want to know what real people think....

UK Driving test-Traffic lights; what is the correct rule?
According to the Highway Code, amber always means 'stop'.
But my driving instructor is adamant that when amber is flashing at a crossing, you can go on providing the way is clear. H...

What irritates you the most when driving in traffic?
I hate it when these idiot morons are driving like they're on a race track, or in a video game, they race back and forth, endangering everyone, and when you get to the next traffic light the ...

Used Car Seat "Issue"?
Ok, so I'm going back to work (Part-time) and so there will be a need for a 2nd carseat for our 12 month daughter. Here's the thing. My husband wants me to look at yard sales for a car seat....

Is it possible to bribe a driving instructor?
Im a learner and was wondering if any body knows of any way of bribing a driving instructor to passing you on your test. Are there any driving instructors reading this that could help, im scared to ...

Why do vehicles have speedometers showing 140+ when the top speed limit is 70?
doesn't that encourage ...

Teaching my niece to drive - should we purposely set her up to encounter "real" dangers while driving?
My brother wants to follow us around and kind of come at her like running a stop sign, to see how she'll react if she almost gets hit. I also thought maybe I'd yell something while she was ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, November 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links