Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

When driving an automatic car do you pull your hand break and put into netural when you stop at traffic lights
Find answers to your legal question.

When driving an automatic car do you pull your hand break and put into netural when you stop at traffic lights

JASON D
Rating
You should only apply the foot brake. your transmission is designed to be in an almost neutral position when your foot is on the brake.
some drag will be evident due to the torque converter ( kind of like the clutch in a manual trans car).
but just applying the foot brake is enough.

wendy_da_goodlil_witch
Rating
no, I just depress the foot brake. it takes too long to undo the hand break and put it back into drive when the light changes. there's no point in doing it anyway.

rookethorne
Rating
If you are waiting for any period of time, you should apply the handbrake and shift the transmission to neutral.

If you leave the transmission in drive, the torque converter is held in the stalled position and therefore no oil is circulated through the oil cooler causing transmission overheating.

Putting the transmission into neutral allows the torque converter and associated oil pump to rotate and circulate transmission fluid through the cooler maintaining correct operating temperature.

Hope this helps.

Fraggle rawk
Rating
No, never.

Switching to neutral and back at every light will wear out your transmission quicker. I'm not sure why you would engage the e-brake at a light. If you're worried your foot might slip off and cause an accident, I would seriously think about using public transportation.

Mick
Rating
No that is why it is called a automatic ,it do,s it for you .

bobby a
Rating
yes i think so, but just to be on the safe side, i'd ask the dealer atleast!

kibbi21
Rating
No it is an automatic no need the car will stay put unless you are on a hill use the breaks that is what they are there for.

Paul
What's the point of doing that? It just takes you longer to get going on the green light, annoying other drivers. Why not hold your foot on the brake like everyone else?

FRASER
depressing the brake pedal is enough except your concentration is .... or suffering some form of muscular paralysis...lol

seven_ms_man
Rating
in my 27 years of driving i have never even heard of someone doing this before

and i have no plans of starting either

I'm curious what made you think of this question?

slim36
Rating
No you don't need to put it into neutral, just keep your foot on the brake pedal, and I'd only use the hand brake if I was starting on a hill to prevent any roll back.

George T
No, I'm pretty sure It's not going to help your fuel economy at all and it just gives you the opportunity to forget to put it on and risk going into the intersection or forgetting to take it off and driving with the emergency brake engaged. It's simpler and easier to just push the brake pedal.

jamesbond1382003
Rating
The answer is no. An automatic transmission is designed to be in gear while completely still and pulling the handbrake completely defeats the purpose of having the footbrake anyway. If you'll notice the hand brake is properly called the emergency brake or the parking brake neither of which you are doing at a traffic light.

Neil
Rating
On the rare occasions I drive an automatic, I always do this if there's someone stopped behind me. Otherwise I'd be blinding them with my brake lights, which is a contravention of Highway Code rule 94: You MUST NOT
* use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users

I always keep my foot on the brake pedal, to keep the brake lights illuminated, until the car approaching from behind has almost stopped.

Bardic
Apply the handbrake - yes.
Shift into neutral - no. It causes more damage to the transmission when you shift in and out of drive than if you leave it in drive.

Jester
Rating
Definitely put on the handbrake, leave it in drive, and definitely keep your foot off the accelerator! When the lights change to red+amber, put your foot back on the footbrake, release the handbrake and when the lights change to green, take your foot off the brake and the car should start to slowly creep forward. When it does that, slowly squeeze the accelerator pedal to build up speed.

Roachy 2,
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrr yes dear !!!!!!!!!!

Johnny
Hellloooo
The hand break is referred to as the PARKING brake.
Note that when you stop at a light, you are NOT PARKED you are only stopped. Why would you put the park break on?
Constant shifting from neutral to drive will damage the transmission.

bluehash
Rating
no, just step into the break, if you are very low on fuel go to neutral and step into the break

lisa85
No just pull the handbreak up

rowdy
Rating
Well, you should do. Especially at night, as it's the height of bad manners to shine your brake lights into the face of the person behind you.

retep g
If you were on your test and you did'nt put the handbrake on you would fail.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should there be a speed limit of 20m/hr through all villages?
Are the advisory flashing speed signs adhered to?...

Standard of driving in UK appalling or not?
Do you feel that the above statement is true. I have a full UK licence for Motorcycles and I use them. Cars and HGV class 1 and I think it's time for repeat ability to drive tests say every 5 ...

'Why do people turn on their car FOG lights, when it rains?
Explain that logic - and don't give the rubbish about visibility?! High intensity fog lights only make the rain conditions worse. And don't forget what the rules are re turning on fog ...

What kind of driver are you?
Do you start effing and blinding and every other motorist who dares to test your patience, or are you calm and relaxed behind the wheel.

Also, do you stick to the speed limits. Be honest ...

Would you fail someone on their driving test if they splashed a pedestrian whilst driving through a puddle?

Do you think the UK legal driving age should be raised to 21?
I see so many teenage drivers who shouldn't be allowed to drive. They drive like idiots to show off in front of their mates and put their lives and other drivers' lives at risk. I'm ...

Are you allowed to drive home after your driving test,whether you pass or fail?
I read somewhere that your not allowed to,but wondered why?...

Does anyone know the number you can call if a suspicious unmarked car tries to pull you over?

If the maximum uk speed limit is 70mph........?
......why are cars manufactured to be able to go over this limit? There are all these campaigns like "Speed kills" so why are they allowing it to happen? It seems so simple to me.
A...

Should we ban 4x4s in urban areas?
there are too many 4x4s on our road i am starting a group to force local goverment and nstionl goverment to ban 4x4...

When driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission, is it proper to use your left foot for braking?
My wife says she was taught in drivers ed never to use your left foot on the brake....

When I drive through a tight space I hold my breath as if my car will breathe in too!!?
Does anyone else have any strange or unexplainable driving habits?...

Can i drive whilst using my handsfree phone kit?

Wat would you do if a police car comes from behind you with the 2 tones on and you are at a set off tra lights

Why do drivers need to stop for pedestrians? They should stop for us drivers instead!?
I got a ticket from a police officer last night because he said I came dangerously close to hitting a pedestrian in a crosswalk. However, I didn't see the pedestrian because it was dark outside, ...

Why do school buses hold their stop sign out when no one's even crossing?
Sometimes when I'm behind a bus or there's one on the other side of the street that has its stop sign out, I notice that there's no one crossing, which pisses me off because it seems ...

How is richard hammond doing?

Additional Details
no i do actually care....

Driving lesson advice?
My sons girlfriend is taking driving lessons (15 lessons so far) and wants to take her car out to get extra experience, my son says he go out in her car with her, he passed his test 3 years ago and ...

Should school buses have seatbelts?
I believe they ...

Would you ever drive at night with only one headlight?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links