Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

When driving,if you hit a dog,should you report it?
Find answers to your legal question.

When driving,if you hit a dog,should you report it?

i am a passenger assistant with the council,the driver of the bus i was on hit a dog in the town,he just got out to see if it was dead,then when a passerbye came over,he left,i said ( while teary , that he should have reported it to the police) he said since the dog license stopped,you do not need to,he saw the dog on the pavement it was not on a leash,he was travelling at about 35 miles per hour and could not stop in time when it walked in to the road,,when i am travelling in my car through a town,that has children etc running around i annoy people by driving at about 25 mph.but at least i could stop in time,this guy is driving a mini bus..

Bardic
Good for you. Yes, an accident involving a dog IS reportable.

This is a legal requirement under the Road Traffic Act 1988. Cats and poultry are not covered by this act as they are classed as free roaming animals but cattle, horses, asses, mules, pigs, sheep, goats and dogs are included.

If you're concerned about this guy's driving, you ought according to your conscience tell your superiors about it. He has a responsibility to everyone, including his passengers.

Cat burgler
Rating
Yes you need to report a dog but not a cat funnily enough! This is because dogs are seen as part of the family and are seen to be missed more (or something like that).

ChocLover
Rating
Well if he didn't report it then you should, and report him while you're at it. He might knock a kid down next time, he shouldn't be driving if he's going to be this irresponsible.

rowdy
Rating
Yes, you are legally required to report it, because a dog is classed as a working animal (even if it's only a pet), same category as horses and oxen, etc. The law regards it as a "capital asset".

Not so cats - no matter how much you adore Tiddles, legally he's "vermin".

ROBIN HOOD
yes its the law

Dingle-Dongle
Rating
I thought you still had to report it as it is still classed as an accident. he could be in trouble for not stopping at the scene of an accident. When did it happen? Is it too late to call them? What has happened to the dog? Is it still there, dead on the pavement? Poor thing

mrmerc11
Rating
yes its the law.

WelshLad
Rating
When I did I reported it, police came, took my details, breathalysed me, had to produce my documents within 7days - and that was that. But I still images of the dog it upsets me. What makes me sick is, if I hit a child a lot worse would have happened.

London Girl
Yes if you hit a dog you must report it, but not a cat funnily enough!! That's law for you.

But I agree with you and you are right.

lilian c
yes

The original Peter G
Rating
A dog represents a reportable accident. He should have exchanged details with the dogs keeper or reported it to the police. It's also an offence to leave an injured animal.

djmowgli_2000
It would be nice to try and inform the owner or RSPCA but I'm sure the police wouldn't be interested and if you were driving a bus, you haven't really time to knock on doors to find out the owner. It's probably a judgement call and up to your conscience

finishdude99
no. the dog is dead and the harm has been done. it may sound mean to somebody who lives in a city but i live in a rural area and it's not unusual for someone to hit a deer and just move it to the side of the road.

as long as that bus driver wasn't doing something completely neglectful there is no reason for him to be in trouble.

uadbear
My neighbours dog got hit and killed by a bus drive today, he did not bother to report it to his supvervisors, but I did, I hope he looses his job

tattoo1094
my best friends dog was knocked down by a bus two days ago, driver went over him twice, he didnt stop, was only going 20 miles an hour with no passengers on board, absolutely no reason not to stop..as you can imagine there was not alot left of him, but he managed to hang on till we got to him, then sadly he passed away....the question being are the laws any different for buses??

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Who has right-of-way?
Let's say you come upon a four-way intersection without traffic lights. You arrive at the intersection at the same time an oncoming car does. The oncoming car wants to make a left turn while you ...

Who are the worst drivers?
men or women and list ethnic groups from worst to best with male and ...

What is the safest thing to do if a deer crosses in front of your vehicle?
We have lived in this rural area for almost a year and every so often you see a deceased deer on the shoulder and I wonder how the car made out? Cause they say that we have a large population of deer ...

My car was recently in an accident,car was hit at the left rear tire. there is a bulge in my tire safe or not?

My neice was in an auto accident, visible injuries, police didnt call EMT, put her in back seat..is this right
The airbag was deployed, which cause injuries to her face, neck, mouth, nose and arms. She was bleeding from several areas and the police did not call ambulance. They asked her (age 17..first ever ...

Is it poor driving practice to allow the steering wheel to slide in your hands as you "unturn" during a turn?
I am a senior and, when I learned to drive, test points were deducted if I allowed the steering wheel to slide in my hands. My daughter's driving instructor told her that it is OK to do that. H...

What does a continuous white line alongside the verge of a road mean? Especially with reference to parking.?

Why do people slow everyone down when they see car accidents on the highway? what are people looking for?
if its the gore factor, that means people dont think at all. public officials will not let the public see gore. thats the first order of bussiness...cover it up! another thing if they want to see ...

Teens, adults, should we raise the driving age to 18?
I'm tired of hearing about 16-year-olds dying in car wrecks because they were driving stupidly, or were otherwise outdriving their experience or maturity level.
Rather than the current ...

My car has an euro ncap safety rating of 5 stars. Does that mean it will be OK for me to have a crash in it.?

How dangerous is it for kids to ride in the car without child seats? I forget to strap them in when I'm drunk

If a driver hits a drunken pedestrian, whose fault was it?

Additional Details
This happened during darkness. Pedestrian was walking on the side of a road, not well lighted.

Very similar to a deer crossing the road at night, ...

I was in a mini car crash yesterday there was a cat in the road and i swerved into a nearby field lol...?
...what should i do?...

What are some ways to educate 16 to 21 year olds on driver safety?
I have to give a presentation on ways to improve and educate young people on driver safety. What is a good way to get them to listen and think seriously about driver safety?...

Should women be allowed to drive SUVs in cities?
I see them driving in Raleigh and go tsk tsk tsk. They are a threat to drivers getting distracted by their cell phones....

Should i report this car?
As i was crossin the road this morning, a taxi nearly hit me, and it was not my fault, should i report it or ignore it? I got his license number just in case
Additional Details
the ...

People who use mobiles whilst driving??
Despite this being illegal for quite some time now, I still see many people using their phones whilst driving. In my experience, the main offenders fall into the following categories and in this ...

Does pressing the "pedestrian" button at TRAFFIC lights really make any difference? I don't think it does.
I think traffic lights follow a sequence even if you press the button. - at least it appears so in Navan, Co Meath. I think it is a type of "Placebo" appearing to give you a choice. The ...

When your car starts to skid, are you supposed to steer into or out of the skid?

Do you mind driving on the snow and ice?
Do you hate driving on snowy and icy road, or doesn't it bother you much? I'm from Pennsylvania and I'm not bothered by the snow as much as the ice....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links