Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

When taking driving test, should I indicate when going around a parked car?
Find answers to your legal question.

When taking driving test, should I indicate when going around a parked car?

When taking my practical driving test, do I need to indicate to go around a stationery vehicle on the side of the road?

Ansell A
Rating
If you are moving out to pass then yes.

Caz
Rating
I think it depends on the positioning of the car.

For example if the car is causing an obstruction to you in that you would have to stop if a car was coming towards you in the other direction, then yes, indicate.

But a lot of roads have spaces at the side of the road for parking in. In this case, no!

I think just whatever feels natural to you!

Good luck in your test!

Alexa w
Rating
Yes if they are parked on the roadside, you should indicate to allow others to prepare to change their direction/ that there is an obstacle.
Remember to look in your mirrors first!

Pete the driving instructor
Like most things in driving it is not simply a case of yes or no!

If you indicate for every parked car then you are guilty of what we call 'flickeritis' the problem being that when you eventually indicate to turn right the driver behind might just take it that you are going around another parked vehicle.

If you do not indicate then there is a chance of another vehicle trying to overtake you as you start to move out round the parked vehicle and this is clearly dangerous.

The best option is to check both centre and right mirrors well before you reach the parked vehicle and indicate if there is anyone reasonably close behind you to warn them of your intention. Remember they might not be able to see that vehicle in front of you!

Also you should indicate if there is someone in the parked vehicle.

Lastly, the best advise of all is if you are not sure then indicate!

Your instructor should have explained this to you, if not maybe you should think about getting another instructor.

At www.academy.me.uk all our instructors on our residential intensive driving courses would give you clear advice that's why they are all grade 5 or 6 and you should expect the same level of instruction from your instructor

Hope the info helps

Kerry K
yes - you should always indicate when changing position in the road - follow the M S M rule of thumb - Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre.

Rachelle22
yes you should always indicate when performing any maneuver which causes you to cross the white line in the middle of the road. if however, you are going around a parked car that has a right hand turning opposite or close by be sure to indicate around the parked car but then cancel your signal as soon as you have pulled out to avoid confusion with the turning.

AussieGal777
Rating
yeah better to be safe then sorry

Angela D
Rating
It would depend upon how much of an obstruction the parked car was and therefore how much of a maneuver you had to make to go round it.

I would suggest you really should be asking your driving instructor this question....not us.

asker_it
Rating
Ive always been told to indicate only if there is someone there to see you such as a person in a car or a pedestrain on my driving test this happened and i had to overtake a parked truck but nobody was around so i said out loud nobody here so need to signal.. i passed so it should work!!

Trevor h
Rating
Always indicate at a junction
Always Indicate at a Roundabout

At other times (including parked Vehicles) - only indicate if it would benefit other road users. So you have to make the judgement here - in the main the answer is no - watch all the other drivers on the road - do they indicate around Parked cars?

Dirty Harry
Rating
I am 90% sure you don't. My instructor told me not to but I was never quite sure if he had accidently got confused.

antonylavender
Rating
What you should NOT do is not drive on the extreme left of the road, and keep swerving to the right and indicating.

What you SHOULD do is drive nearer the centre (but not dangerously near) and indicating isn't necessary as you're not changing lanes or direction.

Could you imagine yourself indicating past a whole road full of parked vehicles?

Nick A
Rating
Yes however only if it is well in your path and have to come close or have to cross the central line, it the car is well on the pavement and dont have to any slowing down or much maneuvering then no

L205
What I was taught when learning to drive was that you don't indicate when passing a stationary car. Unless:

* There is someone in the parked car, who might be likely to either drive off or open a door.
* You have had to stop behind the parked car to let oncoming traffic past and there is a car behind you. They might not know whether you are parking behind the car or are moving off. In this case, only indicate when you are about to move off; don't just sit there with the indicators on while a queue of traffic is coming in the other direction.

It is surely pretty obvious to other road users that you are going to pass a parked car (rather than run into the back of it). But a driver following you might think you are turning right into a side road if you indicate.

BTW a stationary vehicle is one that is not moving; a stationery vehicle is one that is carrying paper and envelopes!

Sam B
Yeah just do it any way, driving instructors LOVE it when you are Hazard Perceptive !!!
so every time you turn a direction, MAKE SURE you check that blind spot, go slow, do 10Klms under (or america 5mile) under, just make sure your really watching out =)

GibsonEssGee
Technically yes. Comes under the heading of making other drivers aware of your intentions. If there's nobody else about then it's less important.

killedbyzombiegirl
Rating
I believe so, I'm about to go for my driving test and my instructor has me indicating to go around parked cars, hope this helps and good luck.

lindybug
yes you should

UCANTCME
Yes always and good luck....

Minxy_uk
Rating
Yes of course you should - you are making a manouver which will take you over the central white line, therefore you must inform the oncoming drivers and drivers behind of your intention.

iluvnewfs
yes deinitely cos the car behind you may not see the parked car and will not be prepared if u suddenly swerve out of the way. good luck in your driving test! :)

drifttosun
Rating
NOT UNLESS THE
VEHICLE IS DOUBLE PARKED OR IS IN THE TRAVELING LANE, THEN YOU SHOULD INDICATE THAT YOU ARE PASSING A VEHICLE.me

nat_splat_95
nope, definitely not

good luck!!
xSpl@

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was caught speeding in my Kia Sedona doing 94 MPH. How much will the fine be?
It was a 45 MPH zone and I was drinking a latte....

How long would it take to walk 8 hours and 42 minutes?
I need to know this because (but only if i have to) i am going to walk from Virginia to Ohio! So Yea i NEED to know this answer or how to solve the math! T...

What is a goddess?

Is it possible for a speed camera to get speed wrong?
I havent got any problems with speeding but i was wondering if anyone has ever been wrongly convicted of speeding by an automatic camera. I know all about how they work but i cant beleive that nobody ...

Smoking behind the wheel.?
i would think that rubbernecking is more dangerous than smoking behind the wheel, any one any views.next it will be looking out of the window, are they taking this too far....

Why aren't cars being equipped with emergency floatation devices?
With more people drowning from driving in their cars than riding in a boat I wonder why the automobile industry hasn't thought to install some sort of floatation device to either float the car ...

Are ford mustangs bad in rainy or snowy weather?
I am looking into getting a ford mustang, but I have heard that they are not good in bad weather and are really bad in wrecks....

Do you think a cop would pull you over for this?
I'm new to driving. and I was just wondering you a cop pull you over for going a few miles over the speed limit? Like if it was 45 and you were going 48. I always go the speed limit but would a ...

Why do people tailgate???
it's even worse when they stop close behind a stick shift waiting up a hill at a stop light or something, absolutely rude...!
Additional Details
thought I would add, when people ...

My son's Driving practice, is it a little too early?
My son's Driving practice, is it a little too early?
My son is 13 years old. He and i love cars. Since we also love exotic animals we love exotic cars, so i bought a Lamborghini Murcielago ...

I have just failed my driving test?
I tried everything to calm me but I was still a bag of nerves, I even forgot the letters of the alphabet when trying to read the number plate. I have tried Kalms, Rescue Remedy and it never worked. ...

Was I right to report a bad commercial driver with serious road rage to his manager?
On the way to work, I encountered a tow-truck driver with a bad attitude.

He tailgated me through a 30 mph school zone, flashing his lights. After we got out of the school zone, I sped up ...

How can i stop my car brakes from squealing.?

Is drink driving worse in cities or the country side?

Can you get in trouble for a bumper sticker that says "Fcuk You?"?

Additional Details
lol I'm surprised how passionate people get in their answers, in particular the one accusing me of being an uneducated moron for having. Speaking of being ...

Serious men vs. women driving question.....?
This might be long but please read so I can finally prove him wrong....

Okay so my BF has never had driving lessons. He drives with one major belief- when you break you are supposed to ...

Why do people sit in the middle lane on the motorway, should it be made illegal?

Any advice for a first time driver...?
my first lesson is tommorow night, i need tips :P...

Which car would you rather be sitting in in a crash. Both doing 40mph head on?
A 1997 VW Golf .... Or A 2007 Vauxhall C...

Licence suspended because of drink-driving: what may happen if they catch me driving again?
I have been caught drink driving last week. Within 3 weeks I will have to appear before the court but I already know that, as is reasonable to expect, my licence will be suspended in UK. (I have an ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links