Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

When were seat belts first required/put into cars?
Find answers to your legal question.

When were seat belts first required/put into cars?

When was the law instituted requiring drivers to wear set belts? When were seat belts first put into cars? (site your source).

Thankss!
Additional Details
If you sited your source that would be great :)
thanks.

Friendly Stranger..
Rating
The year was in 1966 when legislation began to be implemented.

"In 1966, the Highway Safety Act and the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act were passed, still the most substantial legislation to date regarding automotive industry standards. The legislation authorized the federal government to set and regulate motor vehicle and highway standards, and also created the National Highway Safety Bureau, which later became the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)."

"In 1985, at least one mandatory seatbelt use bill was introduced in all but two (Idaho and Nevada) of the 49 states holding Congressional sessions that year. By September 1989, 34 states had enacted mandatory seatbelt use laws."

scip779io
i think it was 1967 when it was required...and its a good thing they did

hank
Rating
pretty sure it was 1963 but thier use was optional.

George A
Rating
Seatbelts first appeared in American automobiles in the early 1900s. With few other cars to collide with at the time, seatbelts were popular not for their role in crash protection but because they kept occupants inside their cars during bumpy rides.

In 1950, the first factory-installed seatbelts in the U.S. appeared in the 1950 Nash Statesman and Ambassador models. This was nearly 20 years after U.S. physicians had begun urging auto manufacturers to provide seatbelts in cars.

Until the late 1960s and early 1970s, the automotive industry in the U.S. was almost entirely unregulated, and concern over traffic safety had been minimal.

UCANTCME
Rating
The U.S. National Highway Safety Bureau first required automobile manufacturers to install lap belts for all seats and shoulder belts for front seats in 1968.

However, most Americans did not regularly use safety belts until 1984, when the first state laws were passed mandating seat belt use.

At present, there are 48 states in which it is illegal for a driver or passenger to travel without a seat belt (the exceptions are Maine and New Hampshire).

Of those 48 states, 10 have primary enforcement, meaning that police can stop and ticket a motorist simply for not wearing a seat belt.

The other 38 states with seat belt laws have secondary enforcement, meaning that police can only ticket people not wearing seat belts if they pull the car over for some other reason.

http://www.enotes.com/science-fact-finder/cars-boats-planes-trains/when-did-seat-belts-become-mandatory-equipment

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Car Care Advice Question, Please Help.?
I am going to be driving about 1100 miles this weekend. I recently got my car tuned up, my oil changed, and my tires checked. The tread depth on my tires was 5/32. Is this normal or is it an average ...

What site can i go on to take?
a permit test? not the real one- just for practicew. I live in Maryland if that makes a ...

Legal tint laws for Arizona?
I have been driving with the same tint on my windows for the last 5 years and four of those years in Phoenix, AZ where it was originally tinted. I was recently pulled over in Quartzsite, AZ for the ...

Changing to permanent license?
I got my learners license about two years ago. On the card it says it doesn't expire until 2012 but I want to get my permanent license before then. Do I have to wait until the date expires or ...

Is parking suspended on election day?

Why do certain cars momentarily speed up instead of slowing down when you step on the break pedal?
I really need an opinion/advise/information on this one: The family vehicles (an '02 Nissan car and an '08 Toyota SUV) both speed up instead of slowing down in the first few seconds when ...

Age 16. driving or age 18.....what age????????????
hey did they pass that insane law that u no longer cam get ur driivers licence at the age of 16, that u have to wait till ur 18? =[...

Would it be legal to put?
a 3 seater seat in the back of my prelude, if so does any one no what might fit, or could i just put in a seat belt for the middle,but theres no seat just a hump. its a honda prelude 95.
A...

Help Someone Reversed Into Me?
Yesterday a delivery driver reversed into me outside of my workplace. I did all the usual, got his details phoned my insurance company etc. I called his office and in fairness he had already ...

Car light rules in California?
when can i use fog lights? Can i use them anytime at night? or in the day?? when can high beams? when can i use parking lights? when can i use low beam?
Additional Details
when do i need ...

Laser gun print out...?
I got pulled over yesterday and cop tells me that he used laser to record my speed. I have radar/laser detector Passport 8500 X50 which has a future to detect the signals. For some reason it didn'...

Parrallel parking? is there parallel parking on the california driver license exam? ?
can you tell me anything you know?...

Crashed into a car setting off onto a roundabout?
I set off behind a black cab onto a roundabout, he stopped i didn't, hit him at about 5mph and i did brake as well. No damage to my car at all, not even a scratch or cracked number plate. Yet ...

What days are plumbers off?

Looking to plow driveways and parking lots, is there a certain price they go by, or is it based on inches, mig?
have a 3500 dodge with new plow 8 ft, looking for priceing, please ...

Who do you call after a car accident (freeway)?
If you get into a freeway accident and it's not an emergency situation, but your car is in pretty bad shape, do you need to call highway patrol or something? I know it wouldn't be 911 ...

How safe is the USA mail system?
i need to send a game to THQ game company to replace it. i need to send 15$ also but my parent say do not send cash in the mail. i need to use a check or something. is it safe to just send a 10 and 5...

Driving test in Simi Valley California?
I am going to take my driving test soon at the simi valley dmv. Do they take you on the freeway? Any info on the test out there would help....

Is it not safe to...?
drive a used car 2000 miles [i.e. from cleveland to naples and back], what if you get it checked out first?...

If someone crosses the street and gets hit by a Model-A what insurance will cover it?
Should the pedestrian who broke her hip go after her health insurance first or the car insurance of the motorist who hit her? Do they pay it 50/50 or what?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, September 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links