Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Where do you stop at a stop sign, when there is no line on the road?and is there such thing as double stopping?
Find answers to your legal question.

Where do you stop at a stop sign, when there is no line on the road?and is there such thing as double stopping?

rapierlynx
Rating
NY State vehicle and traffic law just says

(a) Except when directed to proceed by a police officer, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or in the event there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection...

Note it says nothing about stopping at the stop sign. I suspect most US states are similar, since all base their laws on the Uniform Vehicle Code.

On the other hand, the regulations on where the stop sign should go say to put it at the best place to stop, unless there is a reason that it should be somewhere else.

Chris B
I asked my driving school instructor and he said you stop directly at the stop sign and proceed with caution.

__A_YAHOO_USER__
Rating
All states laws say you should stop with your front bumper even with the stop sign when no white line is present. Then if you cannot see clearly inch your way out until you can then stop again. that is what is refereed to as double stopping. it is not against the law.

G6er
Rating
You must stop behind the stopsign as others have stated, unless there is a sidwalk. In the case of a sidewalk you must stop behind that, even if the stopsign is infront of the sidewalk. Where I took my drivers test they have an intersection right on the grounds of the testing center like that. The sidewalk is about 5 feet before the stop sign. Many people fail their test within the first 30 seconds becuase of this. They roll up and stop in line with the stopsign. They use to let the person do the entire test before telling them that they failed before they ever left the property.

eric
Rating
Stop at the stop sign and where you can see the road for traffic.

Kip
Rating
You don't need a line just stop before the sign. I have never heard of double stopping. That makes no sense.

sweetangel_1300
If there's no line, I stop a little behind it and edge forward just to make sure no one is coming. And I've never heard of doubling stopping. What exactly do you mean by that?

kenbgray
Rating
You stop at the sign. When there is a line, you stop at the line which is behind the stop sign, then pull up just beyond the sign and stop again and then proceed into the road.

rick b
Randy is mostly right, but here is an example of the stopping law here in Lakewood Ca and in Cerritos Ca and these are local city laws and if you break then and you are out of state and didn't know well tough nut according to LA county Sheriff
the intersection in the Cerritos auto center has cross walks with a custom patten of brick in the road but with no cross walk stripes, stop on it and ticket even though you are what looks like in the right place at a stop light and or sign
Now in a residence, you are coming to a stop sign and or light, Just before the main intersection there is a residential street with an island separating the main street from the residual street and the island is open so you can get to the main street, legal with gutter lining and all but with no lines or sign in the resident area.
you must stop just before the residential street to yield to cross traffic and then stop again to turn or go straight to access the main street. Double stopping and bam ticket if you don't stop the first time
Make sense, It does to the city's they make almost a Million a year in just those fines alone

Rapid Fire
Rating
The rule of the land in the country is that you stop completely before your front bumper gets to the stop sign. Then if your vision is blocked you pull forward so that you may see down the road. The second stop is optional but it is wise to be prepared to do so..

ruflubber
Rating
You stop before the stop sign and NOT after.

Turtle 6
disregard all answers except the first one. She states it clearly and positively.

Where there IS a cross walk, you can bet there's a wide white line before it. You MUST stop at the line with NO PART OF THE VEHICLE ON IT OR OVER IT.

UCANTCME
Rating
You stop behind the stop sign and if you cannot see then you move forward a little and stop again...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Are Angel Eye Headlights legal?
because my standard headlights are broke and i need new lights.... i like angel eye lights....but dont want to buy them and find out they are not road legal
Additional Details
also do ...

WHAT ONE SHOULD DO IMMEDIATELY WHEN HE SEE ANY ROAD ACCIDENT OCCUR?

Would it help if - when a cars brakes are applied forcefully, the brake-lights would flash quickly & brightly?

You're more likely to survive and accident driving a truck rather than a sedan right?
To me, the answer is obvious but my dad doesn't think so. I guess because he wants to buy me a cheaper car. ugh

(i'm a girl though....i guess you can tell by my name, but yeah. i ...

How is a Toyota Yaris for a 22 yr old who is just learning to drive and tried to learn before but got nervous?
behind the wheel. But wants to try again, and likes the idea about how small the yaris is, and has been practicing driving (sorta) on a golf cart for the past 3 weeks, and feels very conferble on the ...

First car accident.......?
i just got into my first car accident last night and can't get it outta my head. i was with my best friend at a red stop light getting ready to turn left, the light turned green i didn't ...

Is an evenflo infant car seat compatible with a graco car seat base?

OSHA Standards Violation?
I feel that my employer is violating my worker rights. I will explain in detail.

My Title is "Car Door Unlocking Technician" CDU Tech for short....

A brief description ...

Whats that piece that you see some people with in the left top corner of their car?
its like a light up speedometer, but its different looking and is powered with a led light....

Would like to use a Dodge Journey for towing an RV (V6 3.5 liter engine)?
I would like to use a Dodge Journey for a cross country RV trip. The car has a 3.5 liter V6 engine). What is the biggest towable RV I could buy or use?...

What is the exact percentage of plane crashes ratio-d to car crashes?
please help. i need to know this. whats the exact percentage of plane crashs ratio-d to car crashes??...

I have just bought an automatic car in the current conditions I have it in D but whats best in the snow & ice?
Some one has told me that it should have 1&2 on the gears but mine has M S P
I'm ...

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like with snow on the way up the A82 to Arrochar?

How do little people drive?
i just wanna know how they ...

Infant car seat for Porsche?
I have a Porsche 924S that I use as a commuter car. I need to find an infant car seat that will fit in the back and won't empty my bank account. Does anyone know of any regular car seats that ...

Been driving for over an hour and its raining mum saw smoke coming from bonnet..?
it is raining alot here mum and i both saw smoke coming from the bonnet. Does it mean something is wrong with my car or is it just that ive been driving for an hour and engine just got heated..
<...

Is it legal to place oil service reminder stickers on front windshields in Califronia?
I need to know this ASAP. I thought it was illegal to place any stickers on the front windshield and that in California anyhow they had to go somewhere else, like inside the door for viewing when ...

Does my baby need to be turned around in his car seat?
well my 7 month old is 23 lbs and he is about 29.5 inches long hes huge, and we are buying him a new car seat ...is it time to turn him around in the backseat
? thank ...

Can anyone tell me the law on carrying first aid kits on passenger vehicles including local buses?
bus companies say that because they have to stop so often they don,t need to carry them (which sounds a bit iffy to me )...

The indicators on the lefthand side stopped working?
the hazards work ok, the bulbs are fine i changed the flasher relay but the problem is the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links