Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Which side of the road should people walk on? If there is no sidewalk (mountain roads, etc) then which side?
Find answers to your legal question.

Which side of the road should people walk on? If there is no sidewalk (mountain roads, etc) then which side?

Yesterday, while driving in the mountains, my wife and I saw a woman walking up the right-hand lane, facing oncoming traffic. We immediately started discussing which side is legal, and/or appropriate, The woman walking was not on the road, but there wasn't much of a shoulder. Thank you.

Quiet.Buck
You should walk against traffic so you can see what is coming. To walk with traffic will 80% of the time get you hit from behind.

Sonya K
Rating
hi
i think that the woman was walking the right way towards the on coming traffic. therefor the driver could see her but i am not really sure

marystoy_2000
Pedestrians should walk facing traffic.

Sherie D
I was always told that you are supposed to walk/ride your bike facing oncoming traffic, so they can see you better....i think she was right

Veronica Alicia
If you face the oncoming traffic, you have a chance of leaping into the bushes when a driver cuts too close. If you can't see him/her you are unable to take evasive action quickly enough.
You will also be more visible to a driver if you are facing him.

leonard s
she was doing the right thing.that way she could see the traffic come and get out of the way.

Pedantic Scorpion
In the UK, the official guidance is to walk facing on coming traffic - so you can see better. Unless you're a troop of soldiers, in which case you behave as if you were a vehicle!

Wired for Sound
Rating
Ok... My turn...

According to everything I was ever taught on this subject, as a pedestrian, you move against traffic. That is, you walk (or run) on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic in the US and on the right in the UK. This affords you the opportunity to see those coming at you and maybe have a chance to get out of the way if they swerve toward you. It also keeps you away from traffic going the same direction as you that is coming at you from the back. It's hard to duck if you can't see them coming. :-}

If you are riding a bicycle, you are classified as a vehicle. You ride with traffic, on the same side of the road as traffic moving the same direction as you are going.

If given the choice, you should use a sidewalk or bike path and get as far away from cars as you can get.... Yeah.. .I know..." I have the right to be there" ... but it's a decision that could make you dead right!

Safe walking... or riding...

Kayleigh-Emma
This is one question that I need answering! lol. Living in the UK. If the traffic is on the left side, shouldn't you run on the right side, so that you can see the cars which are/aren't coming and so they can go round you. I do a lot of running so this topic is definately relevant!

Fred C
Rating
Facing traffic, didn't you learn that in kindergarten or grade 1? If you are walking on the road or the shoulder, you always face traffic so you can see any vehicle coming that may pose a danger to you.
If riding a bicycle, you ride with traffic, because you are a vehicle. If you are walking your bicycle, again, you walk against traffic.
If there is a sidewalk, you can walk with, or facing traffic, because you are in a segregated space

JetDoc
The woman you saw was doing the correct thing. You should always walk on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic. That way you can see the cars coming toward you, and step out of the way if necessary.

sandman
Rating
You should always walk facing oncoming traffic so that you can jump out of the way of an idiot driving erratically.

juicy_wishun
Rating
Legally, you aren't supposed to walk along the road when there isnt' a sidewalk or ample shoulder, but that isn't a particularly practical or well-enforced law.

The general wisdom in my area is to walk on the left, so that you can have better warning of oncoming cars.

cgriffin1972
Rating
How about a sidewalk - you know there are more than 1 road in every town.

There has to be a place to safely walk

Bob
Rating
You are supposed to walk on the side with the traffic going the same direction as you. This is in the US at least.

If you pull out of a driveway to turn right, you pull up, look left to see if there is any cars in the right lane, then you turn right. You don't look right until you're turning into the lane. So, if someone were to be coming down the sidewalk from the right side of your car (facing oncoming traffic) on a bike or something, you would pull up and turn before even seeing them. Very likely you could hit them or, on a bike, they could slam into the side of your car.

Hence, you're supposed to walk/ride with traffic. I presume this is the same in left side driving in other countries, just flip the sides around.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should I be worried about my tendency to drive too fast?
New Year's Eve I'm driving on US 90 just west of Alpine, Texas. Speed limit on the highway most of the way has been 75 mph on a two-lane highway with passing lanes on hills.

S...

Where do most drunk people drive?
on freeways main streets little roads where?...

Would you report this to a police officer or talk to the mother about it?
This lady that comes and picks up her kids from the babysitter in our neighborhood. She takes turn with one of her kid everyday to sit on her lap behind the wheel and drive the car. This has been ...

When should i stop driving if at all?
I am 26 wks pregnant when should I stop driving or should I stop at all?...

Does it make you mad when.....?
people speed in work zones?
It makes me so mad when I'm going the speed limit posted in a work zone and people fly around me or tailgate. It's the speed limit! How would they feel if ...

What kind of car is good for a first time driver?
My dad is going to buy my twin brother and I a car like he has done for all his other children when they turn 16. We have to make it last through college or buy it from him if we don't go to ...

Stick shift driving: stopping and going question?
Lets say you're in 4th gear and you have a red light coming up. let's also assume that you through the car into neutral and came to a complete stop. The proper thing to do would be to start ...

Why aren't there seat belts on public buses?

On a motorway why when driving do you need to show your hazards?

Untraced driver failed to stop after road traffic accident?
My husband was involved in a road traffic accident last when a HGV hit him but failed to stop. A witness managed to get the registration number but only the first part. Could this driver still be ...

How long do you have to report a road traffic accident? Details were exchanged at the scene?

Can you pull an empty U-haul trailer on the interstate?
I have someone coming to move me, but we need to take the moving trailer on the interstate empty. (pulling it behind a van) The U-haul guy said he didnt "recommend" it. But isnt that what ...

Why the glass of vehicles always bresaks into small pieces rather than big pieces.?

This on is a bit tricky...?
If the black box flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn't the whole airplane made out of the stuff?...

How do I avoid trouble with driving?
Lately, I have been making a lot of mistakes with my driving, and parking, from leaving head lights on, without knowing, to receiving quite a few parking fines, and bumping other cars. I am afraid I ...

Are retread tires safe to use or should i keep well clear of them??

How many bridges are structurally deficient in the USA?
As stated by the U.S. Department of Transportation's inspector general last year criticized the Federal Highway Administration's oversight of interstate bridges, saying investigators found ...

Do you ever drive fast to fight boredom?
I was watching a recent rerun of topgear, and stephen fry said...something like "Mabey my eratic driving is just to keep me on edge all the time to fight boredom"

Do you ever do ...

Im terrified of driving help!!!?
i just drove for the first time ever in my mom's mini van and well i didnt know where anything was and when i turned on the street i couldnt turn and then i kept going over the lane and i stunk ...

Is DWI and DUI the same thing?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links