Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Who's fault is it if a car hits an oncoming car at an intersection?
Find answers to your legal question.

Who's fault is it if a car hits an oncoming car at an intersection?

If a car is at an intersection and wants to make a turn at the green light (but no arrow, just green) and the oncoming lane's signal turns yellow, is he supposed to take it for granted that the other car will slow down? Today, I made the dumb decision to race a yellow light because I was late for a meeting. I usually slow down but today was different. A car almost hit me because I guess he took it for granted that I was going to slow down. If he had hit me, whose fault would it have been? I know I was going fast, but the light was still yellow, not red.

mom 2-2
Rating
I think that unless the light had turned red, you had the right of way. They would have had to cross your lane of traffic and it would have been their fault.
Glad you were not hurt.

Inewton
well speeding through a yellow will always get you in trouble. as they say yellow does not mean "hurry up" or "floor it" I have seen it go both ways, but beware.

Friendly Stranger..
Rating
When you are sitting at an intersection, you must always be looking to see if the way is clear. If you see that the light on the other side is changing, and you are in the intersection already then you should go. The reason is because you cannot block an intersection. However what you need to do is be more careful. Don't assume that a driver will slow down just because of a light turning yellow. I have seen many drivers run red lights, so the fact that they may slow down is not always sure. If you feel like you can make the light then do so, but again you need to make sure your way is clear. I would say the person coming that almost hit you would have been at fault if he hit you. It is his responsibility to watch for traffic just like it is yours. So I think both of you have to pay attention. If one does not, then you have an accident. But you also have the issue of right of way. If you have the right of way, and they go first and you are hit, then they are at fault because you were supposed to go first.

atlantisflicka
f it is yellow and you are able to stop you must stop. But at the same time the other guy is not allowed to turn until the road is clear. I think the other guy would have been at fault but it is a 'grey' area.

bigjim5551212
Rating
never assume anything. if you turn in front of someone and you crash, its your fault. he did not make sure you were stopping. but then the police or insurance co might say that you were 50% at fault for not slowing for a yellow.

Shane A
Rating
Both are at fault, his for turning in front of you. Yours for entering the intersection on a yellow, especially speeding up to beat the light. Some states it is against the law to speed up for a yellow light.

kttlwistl
Depends on the laws in your state. But the law here is if you rear bumper is anywhere in the intersection when that light changes from yellow to red, then you have run a red light. Now in your case if you guys had hit each other and you lived here then the cop filing the report would have asked witnesses if they thought you would have made it across the intersection before the light was red. If no witnesses then he would probably just ticket you both for careless driving and let it go to court. hope this helps

Dyslexic Topato
Rating
If it was yellow when you made the turn it would be his fault, but proving it would be the issue. You need key witnesses to verify that the light was in fact yellow and that you were driving in a non-erratic way (which by the sound of it you were if you floored it).

UCANTCME
It would be a 50/50 fault and I always say don't wait in the intersections for a light.........

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

YouTube video here. Is this dangerous driving? I think it is, because the excess speed leaves no space to?
avoid other cars on the road who might accidently move into your lane.

http://www.youtube.com/w...

I am scared of driving alone.?
i am new in usa and i have come here for studies...the problem is my univ. is 40 mins away from my home...and here there is no one to help me...i ll have to drive alone...i ahve a permanent license......

I had half a bottle of wine last night, is it safe to drive today?
i don't feel drunk or anything, but just wondering if its ok for me to drive today?
I dont have to drive very far, only about 20 miles.
Additional Details
hey windy, theres ...

After three attempts of my car being stole, I made the following mods. Do you think it's safe now?
It's a 95 honda accord and here in Los Angeles, some car jackers tried to steal it three times.

Now I installed a master steering wheel lock, an alarm with starter kill switch, and ...

Car crash in a company car?
I was driving along and a women opened her car door not knowing i was coming along. And she smashed all the front side of my car and down both sides of the door. Can i claim compensation even though ...

Are conducting stricter driving tests for beginner drivers is the best way to decreases the number of road acc?

If your in a car driving, and a tornado starts to form. what do u do?
do u rush to nearest public shelter like a store, or like on a highway, stay under a by-pass, im clueless.
or simply pull over. just curios for "one day need to know info"...

Why is driving so difficult for me?
I've had training with an instructor for 6 hrs now and she was like "you are a slow learner, u are too dangerous." she is chinese and speaks very bad english, btw.

some of ...

Stopping for school bus loading/unloading?
the road is 4 lanes. 2 going one direction and 2 going the other with a turn lane in the center.
are we required to stop if we are going the opposite direction?
what about a grassy medium ...

Serious question! y do people not turn their brights off when they see a car approaching?
and am i wrong for blinding them back ?i dont like to do so, but i feel its only right ,and than it's not so bad on my eyes when i do ,i mean i've almost ran off the road because of this,as ...

What causes a car to spin out in the middle of a highway? (360 skid marks leaving the road)?
No on or off ramps and the road is straight as an arrow?...

DRUNK DRIVING... Who is at fault if you know that youre entering a vehicle where driver is under the influence
If you know for a fact that the driver is under the influence, and you conciously enter the vehicle as a passenger, and the driver gets into a crash, and you get severly injured. Shouldt you be held ...

BARS LEAKS I was wondering if this is safe for cars i want to use it right now as we speak and notsureifitsbad

What are the consequences of allowing an 11 year boy drive a motorcycle on public roads?
My ex-husband allows my son, who is 11 years old to drive his, truck, car, and 1000 Kawasaki crouch rocket on public roads while he follows behind him in another vehicle. I have called the police, ...

After the 70's gas lines, whose stupid idea was it to build those big SUVs and trucks?

Additional Details
I agree with all you actually. There are those that need larger vehicles, but there are way too many single people driving around in a car that seats 8....

What will happen if you drink car oil?.........will you die?

If drinking is restricted while driving a car the why are parking lots are made outside the bar?

If you could pick a car/suv that will make it easier with a new born?
car seat and very safe what would you recommend?
thanks!
Additional Details
car or suv....not ready to make that step to a minivan lol:)...

How safe is it to continue using tyres with a crazed / cracked surface?
Just the rear tyres on a small car. There's plenty of tread left....

What to do. Car Wreck?
yesterday i was in a car wreck hit pretty much head on. My cousin was driving and his gf was in the front passenger seat. i was in the back passenger side seat. My friend was hurt and is now on ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links