Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Who has right of way: U-turn on green or person making a right on green?
Find answers to your legal question.

Who has right of way: U-turn on green or person making a right on green?

Who has the right of way:

1). A guy/gal making a U-turn on a green light.

or

2). A guy/gal making a right turn on a green light.

???????

Would a protected green light affect either? Would being on the main road and being in a parking lot exit or side road make a difference?

Thanks.

Joe D
Rating
the answers are Right-Turning Driver (RTD), yes, and yes.

A right turn, to conflict with a U-turn would mean that right-turning driver (RTD) would have to be to the left of the U-turning driver (UTD). Normally the driver on the right (in this case the UTD) would have the right-of-way over the driver on the left (the RTD).

Since a U-turn cannot be signalled, there is no way for a RTD to know that the UTD is making a U-turn rather than a standard left turn. However, the UTD CAN tell that the RTD is making a right turn. Therefore, the UTD needs to yield to the RTD.

If the UTD had a green arrow and the RTD did not then the UTD would have the right-of-way as turning right on a red light is supposed to be accomplished with extreme caution and only when there is NO conflicting traffic. The RTD should look out for someone possibly doing a u-turn if they have a red light.

If the u-turning driver has anything but a green arrow then they must use extreme caution and look out for someone turning right (see above regarding signalling)

I hope this made sense

Kurt W
Rating
Those turning right on green ALWAYS have right-of-way, regardless of the situation.

The Mr. Pine
Who ever was there first would would have the right of way.

Good deeds
Of course the person who's turning right on the green light is right. Honk the u-turn guy/gal! I've always done that honk them and let them know that they have to be careful & watch out.

And I've always honk the people are making the left turn on green light while I'm making my right turn on green light - what were they thinking???? Right turn on green light is always right!!! Other people have to wait!!!

trooperf52
the person making the right turn is permitted to do so. u-turns are illegal within an intersection unless it is posted permitting the u-turn within the intersection.

dinkydionline
Rating
Amazing, In Australia its against the law to do a U turn at a controlled intersection.
Law here is that when doing a U turn you must give way to ALL traffic.

Patrick W
Rating
Anyone making a u-turn has to yield to all traffic period! most U turns are not legal to begin with especially if the other driver is making a turn on a green, why would they not have the right of way???? Show me an intersection that has a green light for a legal u turn and another green for traffic from the left to turn right.

John96
2) The person making the right turn because the green allows for traffic to go both ways. The person making the right is with 'traffic' and the person making the U has to wait to be clear from oncoming traffic that is what the Right turn driver is.

The U turn never has the right of way even if they have the arrow or are allowed to make a left, a U turn requires clearance from oncoming traffic. If oncoming traffic can make a right on red and the U turn driver has a green for left turn, never seen a 'go' for U turns only when you are clear, then the U turn STILL needs to make sure they are clear before proceeding.

In a main road versus parking lot the main road driver has right of way.

socal_rachel
i believe the u-turn has the right of way because they will hold up the rest of the left turners if they dont go.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why do lamborghini cars catch fire so often?
ive heard about a lot of lambo's catching fire and theres a bunch of videos on youtube showing them on fire.what causes it to catch on fire?It seems so random....

Why do cars go over 80 mph?

Why cars with manual transmission have to been parked with the shifter stick Hooked in first gear?

At what age can you drive?
Well im 14 in Febuary and i want a car but im not sure what the driving age is????...

Why in the UK can't we drive at more than 70 m.p.h on the motorway like the rest of the civilized world?
70 m.p.h - only just enough to stop you nodding off to sleep. You know what? The British motorway speed limit was set in the 1950s by a little old lady with a purple rinse hair-do. You think I'm ...

Who's fault is it if a car hits an oncoming car at an intersection?
If a car is at an intersection and wants to make a turn at the green light (but no arrow, just green) and the oncoming lane's signal turns yellow, is he supposed to take it for granted that the ...

Which planet would u like to live on and why?

How old is too old to drive?
Fact: Elderly drivers are a danger on the road. My grandmother is 85 and she had two bad accidents in 4 months and she still wants to drive. The DMV clerks forgave her for missing some questions and ...

Speed Camera Van on Opposite side of road. Has it caught me?
Hi Guys

Just want a little advice as to whether I may/may not have been caught speeding?

I was driving up a 30mph hill doing about 35mph, on the opposite side of the road tucked ...

How to get the car from police compound?

Speeding ticket question!?
i got a speeding ticket the other day, and i plead not guilty. when the cop filled out the method of determingin speed, he checked "other" instead of radar or speedometer, or vascar. what ...

What does the red light on a traffic light mean?

I need to know the phone number to call to turn in a person who flicked their cigarette out of their car.?
I was driving along San Pasqual road in Escondido around 5:20pm when the driver of a White Mazda MX-6 in front of me flicked his cigarette out of his sun roof. The cigarette landed on my car which ...

Is it illegal to talk on the phone while driving in NC yet?
just didn't know if a alaw has been ...

What does it mean when a state trooper paces vehicles?

Additional Details
OK...so how is it that a officer is able to say he paced a vehicle at 85mph, pull multiple cars and semis over, let some cars go (low profile/semis) and issue tickets ...

Should the driving age be increased or stay at 16? Why?
Completing a survey for a school project. Please refer this question to people you know....

YouTube video here. Is this dangerous driving? I think it is, because the excess speed leaves no space to?
avoid other cars on the road who might accidently move into your lane.

http://www.youtube.com/w...

I am scared of driving alone.?
i am new in usa and i have come here for studies...the problem is my univ. is 40 mins away from my home...and here there is no one to help me...i ll have to drive alone...i ahve a permanent license......

I had half a bottle of wine last night, is it safe to drive today?
i don't feel drunk or anything, but just wondering if its ok for me to drive today?
I dont have to drive very far, only about 20 miles.
Additional Details
hey windy, theres ...

After three attempts of my car being stole, I made the following mods. Do you think it's safe now?
It's a 95 honda accord and here in Los Angeles, some car jackers tried to steal it three times.

Now I installed a master steering wheel lock, an alarm with starter kill switch, and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links