Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Who is at fault if a driver intentionally slams on brakes, causing you to rear end?
Find answers to your legal question.

Who is at fault if a driver intentionally slams on brakes, causing you to rear end?

I was driving on a 2-way road that has two lanes going each way. A driver pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me and cut me off. I had to hit the brakes. When there was a safe distance between his and my car, I looked over to the right to see if it was safe to get into that lane.

As I did this, I noticed the driver was waving to me in his rearview mirror. I looked straight ahead and mouthed the word, "What?", since I was confused and thought maybe he was someone I knew.

As soon as I mouthed the word "What", the driver (who was doing at least 40 MPH) slammed on his brakes and came to a complete stop. I BARELY missed hitting him. There were cars coming in the right lane so I was stuck continuing to drive behind this guy.

The driver was stopped for a few seconds and then went forward again a little ways. As soon we were back up to about 30 or 35 MPH, he slammed on the brakes again and came to another complete stop in the middle of the street. Again, I BARELY missed rear ending him.

The guy then veered left into a turning lane, and we were next to each other at a red light. I refused to look over at him - I was shaking because I was so scared and angry.

This guy was nuts. I really think he wanted me to hit him.

My question is, if I HAD hit him, would I have been at fault even though he was intentionally slamming on his brakes? This thought really scares me.

sgoldperson
IF you could prove he was doing it intentionally the insurance company would find HIM at fault. It was wreckless driving on his part. The problem is PROVING he was doing it.

David B
yes. you are responsible for maintaining a safe stopping distance between any idiot and you.

Marc
Rating
He was hoping you would hit him. This is a scheme that has been used for years. They usually have "witnesses" stationed near where the "accident" happens. You were lucky as many times they also have additional cars that box you in so you can't help but hit them.

Sophie B
Rating
Any time you rear-end someone.. you are at fault, for following too close......

In your above scenario.. after the second time you should have written his license number down, and called the police...if you had hit him the police might have given him a ticket for causing an accident, but you would have got a FTC..
How do you solve this? pull over to the curb, if he does too.. you use your cell and call the police....

Dont get Infected
Rating
you would have been at fault. its your responsability to leave atleast a 3 second distance from other drivers.

Andy
yes it would be your falut. The police would say you should of bin paying more attention.

pontiacpowered71
Yes...you would have been at fault for following too closely.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it safe to drive a convertible car in US ?
I'm an immigrant in US, so I'm new. I want to buy a convertible car and I want to know how safe is to drive in US with an convertible car.
I don't want to be attacked by street ...

I know someone driving without a license, and they always pick up my friends. Do the people in the car also?
get in trouble if they're in the car? I don't want my friends driving in the first place, but they don't listen to me. Maybe If I tell them that they can also be penalized, it would ...

Are the proposed max 50mph limits on major British A roads going to be for ALL A roads or ...?
...just the ones with a bad accident record? When are the proposed changes going to come into effect?
Additional Details
..so it's not definite then...thank goodness...on some fast, ...

What is Automotive Diagnostics Services?
Please help me.
I want to know what is Diagnostics services in automotive domain?
Please describe to me.

I am waiting for your reply....

What's a car that's as safe as volvo?
i like volvos but they are all alittle big. i have to get a safe car for my first car and my mom says it HAS to be a volvo. Any suggestions?
Additional Details
i should have said that i ...

Does an almost 3yr old need a car seat on a plane?
2yr 10 month old going on 3 hour flight to spain... will he need a car seat or is the seat-belt okay? He has his own seat booked already... & will hopefully get window seat... but does he really ...

Proper lane usage when there are 3 lanes in each direction?
When there are three lanes in each direction on a highway, I was always under the impression that the right lane was used primarily for slower vehicles to enter the highway and for vehicles preparing ...

Do I need a new car seat after minor accident?
My car was recently hit by a drunk driver on a motorcycle. He tore the drivers side mirror completely off and dented the front end as well as exploded the tire. We don't know yet if he damaged ...

Should we have a road law to stop youngsters drive fast cars?
I think we need a new law that says that when you pass your test you can only drive a small powered car until your 21. The reason is that there are far too many youngsters out there driving like an ...

Is telling VIN code safe?
I'm now selling my car on the Craigslist. And right now someone emailed me that can you tell me the VIN code?. So is this safe?...

Airbags on a citroen synergie?
can anyone please tell me where the airbag sensor is on a citroen synergie as my airbag warning light is staying ...

What happens when u don't turn in the car when it is suppose to be reposed?

Is there a legal distance to park a car from a building?
My stepmother seems to think that it is illegal to park a car close to a house. Is this true? The car is maybe 4 meters from the house. I dont believe her as she makes so much stories up but maybe ...

PSA annoucement... drunk driving?
i need a good idea or quote on drunk ...

Are DV license plates exceptible for handy cap space?
are disable veteran license plates good for handycap ...

Can anyone give me some points on traffic control management?
please i really need it
i am sort of doing a project....

Why do people cross roads further down the junction rather than cross at the junction itself?

What do you call this?
What do you call the drivivng sign that is a hill with a percentage under it, to indicate how steep the hill is?..

whats the sign called,whats the hill called lol.
Additional D...

What is the vision that judges depth and perception of an environment?

My airbags did not deploy in my head on collision, Can I SUE?
it was a 2005 dodge ram 1500 quad cab.. i did hit with the front i have pictures and according to the guy that did the estimate for the truck to repair he said that it was a bad crash for the airbags ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links