Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Why cant you use your mobile phone when filling up fuel/gas?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why cant you use your mobile phone when filling up fuel/gas?

Boosted 2
Rating
They say it can ignite fuel....Nope

Mythbuster=Myth busted

Confuzzled
It is a fallacy where it is supposed that the phone may create a spark that ignites gas fumes. It has NEVER happened...but is used as a precaution.

blackfirebeetle
seen mythbusters on tv ? they totally busted the myth a mobile ( cell ) phone will ignite any fuel vapour in whatever concentration . dunno what else phone could do though, maybe it could affect cash register but i doubt it.

Debs
Rating
The story is that, in at least one case (though I don't know it to be true), a person's mobile gave off a few sparks, when they answered it, which caused the fumes from the petrol to explode.
Dunno...but it sure makes a good fear-tactic. The last time my mobile rang while I was filling up the tank, I about had a heart attack.
I'm fine, though,thanks: no permanent heart problems or fire damage!

geoff w
Rating
this is a very good question,
because if you dont know most mobile phone companies have repeater sender/receiver units built into the towers at loads of local garages just about everywhere,this is a favourite location for phone companies to install their signal "boosters"
so if the boosters are safe why not the phones,,

Trevor h
Rating
......................because petrol doesn't come out of a mobile phone?

terrellfastball
The possibility of static electricity discharge (sparking) igniting fumes is the reason why it is prohibited.

Whether or not it has ever happened is not the question. You can be cited in most places, and the possibility exists. Why test it?

StingRay
It's actually because it can upset the reading on the pump, so You could be undercharged, or overcharged.

F650
In reality no your mobile wont cause a spark. The fuel companys are just playing safe.
You are more likely to get a static spark by touching the bodywork on your car. It used to happen to me allot when I had a Nissan Bluebird. Something to do with the artificial fibres generating static when getting out of the car and then earthing through the car body. I used to get a big fat blue spark with a snap as loud as snapping your fingers. My wife thought it was hilariouse, but it realy hurt.

lee b
Rating
cos it gives the little Hitler behind the till an ego trip cos if had any brains he wouldn't be working in a filling station think of one thing you are driving a hot internal combustion engine which renews its own electric power with an alternator it has a huge battery and enough electric and computer power to send the shuttle to the moon and they are worried about a poxy little battery on a mobile fine next you will have to turn off your lights stereo sat nav and push the car onto the forecourt

The original Peter G
Allegedly the phone could make a spark with it's 2 watts of power. Of course you must start your engine with a 700 watt starter motor before you drive off. Also allegedly the transmission could interfere with the pump electronics and give wrong measures. I think the rules were introduced in the CB craze when some breakers used illegally powerful 100 watt tranmitters

biff
Rating
A small spark from your phone can ignite the gas fumes and cause an explosion.

athe74
Electric currents and the gas could ignite

UCANTCME
Rating
It would be possible to create an ignition capable spark with a cellular telephone by dropping the telephone in such a way that the battery is ejected and is short-circuited across its charging terminals thus igniting the fuel vapors.

Dennis - 1
I suggest you you ignore most of the answers that you have had to this question so far.
Will a mobile phone, CB radio, Taxi radio or Police radio cause an explosion in a petrol station?
It will happen, it has happened and I sure with some of the "I know what I'm doing" Idiots out there in the world it will happen again, the antenna can generate both heat and sparks when transmitting and a mobile phone is constantly transmitting its location.
Here's something else for you to think about, if you went into a Spanish petrol station you are not allowed to have your radio/CD or your lights switched on.

RobisaLone
Rating
The interfrence to the cashteller for one, fire risk,

murph
cos as a bloke its very unlikely you can do two things at once

JeffyB
Because gas vapors are explosive, and even very minor electrical currents, like from a cell phone or flashlight could cause an explosion. It doesn;t happen often, but when it does, you won't live to tell about it.

Lauren
Rating
one word - boom!

Raped
Even every cars come to petrol per min each day when they fuel thier car soemtimes they leak the petrol on the ground thats how tooo many petrol on the ground everyday from the cars leaking and drips one drop by a mobile if has spark yeah it will make a fire and blown up

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

School bus stop signs?
Situation:
School bus, southbound, stopped, stop signs and flashing lights active.
You, northbound, separated by a well established median (curbed, grass, etc).

Legal response? ...

I think more should be done to stop motorists from driving too slowly, this is more dangerous than speeding?

Do's anyone else think hgv's should be kept off the road during the rush hour?

Why do some drivers sit at lights with their foot on the brake?
This is very annoying indeed , especially with these new type high brake lamps. If the traffic lights have just turned to red , why don't they use their handbrake and be ready, in gear, to drive ...

If you have a flat tyre - why is it always the bit at the bottom ?

Is it safe to drive, text, and drink at the same time?
I know I'm not supposed to drink and drive, and I'm also not supposed to text and drive, but what about drinking, texting, and driving all at the same time?

Drinking makes me ...

I was in a car accident this morning (I was at fault) but the other guy wants excessive info... is it safe?
I was in an at fault accident this morning. I collided with the back of a honda CRV in my Chevy Malibu. He had a tire on the back of his car so I didn't hit the car. Visually it looks like there ...

What are the best cars for teens?

Can police operate speed cameras anywhere they want to?
Can they just use their laser speed guns anywhere or is it only at certain sites. My local force has published their safety camera scheme sites on their website. This basically states all the ...

Can you get a ticket for wearing a seat belt under your arm?
My husband got pulled over for not wearing a seat belt but he was. It was just under his arm and the officer said by law he had to give a ticket he couldn't give a warning. Is this right?...

Why oh why do people stop at big roundabouts when they can see from a long way away that no car is coming?
MOST INFURIATING...

What does the yellow light, on a stop light, actually mean? 3 words best answer!?
please, be serious. I don't think anyone can answer this in the easiest way. 3 or 4 words should work. I used to do a driving class, and I would like to see who paid attention. I'm really ...

Do you wear your seat belt? If not, why?

For guys. Have you ever hit and killed an animal while driving?
This is for my stat project. I have a separate question for girls. Thank you....

UK only please. What lane should I be in to go straight ahead at a roundabout?
Unless the roadsigns and roadmarkings show differently, I was told that you always go into the left hand lane to go left or to go straight ahead. The right hand lane is for turning right only.
<...

Do you think seat belts should be mandatory for everyone on school buses?

Whos fault is it when a car parked on the street suddenly opens his door and I crushed his door?
Do you know what I mean? I'm driving on the outside lane and a car parked on the street ahead of me suddenly opens his door and I cannot dodge it because there are cars in the inside lanes....

“You are driving on a clear night. There is a steady stream of oncoming traffic. The national speed limit?
applies. Which lights should you use?...

Tail gaters how to handle them
what do you handle a driver who is too close to you
what do i do change lanes or drop back or get a number plate a report ...

If someone else is driving my vehicle while under the influence will i get charged?
What is someone even gets in an accident and kills someone, will I be able to get sued since the car is under my name?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links