Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Why do certain cars momentarily speed up instead of slowing down when you step on the break pedal?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do certain cars momentarily speed up instead of slowing down when you step on the break pedal?

I really need an opinion/advise/information on this one: The family vehicles (an '02 Nissan car and an '08 Toyota SUV) both speed up instead of slowing down in the first few seconds when we step on the break pedal. The car has conventional breaking system and the SUV has ABS. This doesn't happen every time, though. But it does happen most of the time. What's the deal with that?
Additional Details
Dani G: I often use flat-soled, non-bulky shoes that are most conducive to (safe) driving, so I don't think my footwear touches or hits the gas pedal when I step on the breaks. I

Maranatha!: The acceleration happens almost instantaneously when the break pedal is depressed. As for the coasting condition, I will now try to note my speed when I step on the breaks to see if this is causing the pickup in speed.

Thank you.

Petey
I have over 35 years experience with automobiles and currently hold a position of moderate to high responsibility regarding them. To hear this is alarming. No vehicle should accelerate during any course of braking. The only possible malfunction in this manner that is concievable is a faulty check valve for the brake booster vacuum feed, but this would only occur at an idle. Could you perhaps add some additional details so that I may better understand what you are saying exactly. Is this before you touch the brake or as soon as you do begin to depress it? or something else?
No additional details?
All that comes to mind is a slightly newer characteristic known as coasting condition. This is when the vehicle is going over 40 MPH and you release the accelerator. What will happen is the ignition timing will advance to the greatest amount possible to maintain the current speed without applied throttle. However, the instant the brake pedal is touched, the timing drops and the car is out of coasting condition. and slowing. The design was intended to add mileage to vehicles and does.

Saturday Morning
Rating
Actually, I've experienced this condition before as well and also on a Nissan – a very subtle increase in speed when the brake pedal is first depressed, You're not causing it and you’re not crazy. I looked into it and what it is – is the automatic unlocking of the torque converter when the brake pedal is depressed. Here it is as best I can explain:

The condition being described is that when the brake pedal is first depressed on a long downhill slope the vehicle would exhibit a very slight increase in speed. The condition would occur when the brake pedal was pressed just a very small amount - enough to activate the brake light switch, but not enough to generate any measurable stopping force. For example: the Nissan Xterra I experienced this on is a conventional rear will drive vehicle with a normally aspirated V6 engine, 4 speed, automatic transmission with OD, and rear deferential. While driving downhill the engine actually performs a measurable amount of engine braking when the gas pedal is let up. This engine braking is what holds the vehicle at speed without letting it accelerate on the downhill.

When the brake pedal is first depressed the switch at the brake pedal sends a signal to the engine computer (ECU) that is then sent to the automatic transmission to unlock the torque converter. Without this unlocking of the torque converter the engine would stall at a stop light or any time the vehicle speed was reduced significantly.

For example: picture a vehicle beginning down a long downhill slope. The driver is applying the gas and the engine is running at an rpm based on the pedal position and the drag/slope/etc. as the slope increases the dynamics change from the engine pushing the wheels to the wheels pushing the engine but the change is so subtle and occurs over time so that the driver may not even notice it on a slight to moderate slope. At this point the engine is actually providing a small amount of braking and holding the vehicle to a specific speed based on the gas pedal position and the gear selection and all this is happening without the driver even knowing it.

Now as the brake pedal is depressed. The switch at the pedal sends the signal through the ECU to the ATS to unlock the torque converter. The direct coupling between the engine and the drive train is now lost and with it the engine braking. At this point, the wheels and the drive train are allowed to overrun the engine speed. The engine retunes to its idle speed and the vehicle is slowed by the brakes. All this is perfectly normal and can happen on any vehicle although low geared vehicles make it most notable.

I should add that vehicles with a lot of brake pedal travel often referd to as 'soft brakes' may be more prone to this than a vehicle that has 'tight' brakes as there is a greater time delay involved between the unlocking of the torque converter and the actual application of the brakes. You may want to have the brakes checked to ensure that the pads are not excessively worn and that there is not any air in the brake lines. If everything checks out ok, just simply exercise a little more travel when applying the brakes to get to that part where the brakes actually start applying in measure to slow the vehicle..

-Saturday

Dani G
Rating
This is not at all normal and the fact that it is happening to both of your cars suggests that you are unknowingly causing it.

Are you quite sure that your foot is not also hitting the gas pedal while you're braking ?

This would explain what you are experiencing: the car speeds up when you first start pressing on the brake because you are accidentally giving it gas while not braking very hard. As you press down harder on the brake the car starts to slow down because there is not a car made that is capable of overwhelming its own brakes once they are fully applied.

You can test for this. Let someone unrelated drive your car and suv and see if they experience the same thing. If they don't, it really might be you.

Vince M
Rating
Either both vehicles are malfunctioning (doubtful) or this isn't really happening. You may be observing some other condition that, to you, "feels" like it is accelerating.

But no way should the car speed up by pressing the brake pedal.

UNLESS, the driver is one of those that uses BOTH feet, one for the gas pedal, and one for the brake, and, for some reason, the gas is being pressed while the brake is also being pressed. This is one of the reasons it is NOT advised to use both feet when driving an automatic.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How safe is the USA mail system?
i need to send a game to THQ game company to replace it. i need to send 15$ also but my parent say do not send cash in the mail. i need to use a check or something. is it safe to just send a 10 and 5...

Driving test in Simi Valley California?
I am going to take my driving test soon at the simi valley dmv. Do they take you on the freeway? Any info on the test out there would help....

Is it not safe to...?
drive a used car 2000 miles [i.e. from cleveland to naples and back], what if you get it checked out first?...

If someone crosses the street and gets hit by a Model-A what insurance will cover it?
Should the pedestrian who broke her hip go after her health insurance first or the car insurance of the motorist who hit her? Do they pay it 50/50 or what?...

Who's fault is it when someone hits a dog at a park? ?
The speed limit is 25. They left skid marks for about 8 feet trying to stop, so speed was a factor. However my dog should have been on a leash too. Who's fault is it? Just curious about this. S...

Where abouts is the rear anchor point for a child car seat in a 99 daewoo nubira?
I have just bought a daewoo nubira and i cant find the anchor point for my childs car seat
Additional Details
if there isnt a rear anchor point, where is it?...

Do low profile tires give a rougher ride ?
My new truck came with 20'' rims and low profile tires. The ride is OK, but would it be smoother with 18'' rims and regular tires ?...

What's the name of this road sign?
http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu
i'm totally blanking on its proper name and i need to know it for my project
Additional Details

What does this traffic sign mean?
http://www.trafficsignst...

Is there a homemade "recipe" for anti fogging mirrors, windshields etc.?

Is the driving age in Ontario changing from 16-18 ?
I have heard from a lot of people that the minimum driving age in Ontario is raising, is that true ??...

When a rear strut needs replacing what is worst thing that can happen if you keep driving?

Pls help, CAR ACCIDENT...A driver crashed into my car, I was not in the car but he stopped and gave me his?
details, I have a witness and I took pictures of damage of mine and his car. My car has been inspected and is a write off. 9 months on the claim is still ongoing, I am on thirdparty, fire and theft ...

Options for snow tires?
I drive an 04 Doge Neon with 175/70-14 size tires. Can anyone tell me if I can use a different size for snow tires? I have heard of "plus one" and "minus one". Can someone ...

Can you drive with your brights on when you are driving down a frontage road?

Additional Details
I know when to use my brights, I mean when I am driving. I am talking about when driving down a frontage road that runs parralel to an expressway. Can I drive with my ...

In the uk and ireland are ambulances all automatic or manual transmission or both?

Where can i buy stickers for cars that illegaly use disabled parking?

How to install Grill Guard?
How do i install a Grill Guard on a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 and do i need any special tools? Brackets?...

WHAT IS THE LAW IN OHIO ON ASSURED CLEARED DISTANCE?

How many people die because of airplanes and cars?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links