Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Why do people put rags or clothes hanging out of their car windows when the car is on the side of the road?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do people put rags or clothes hanging out of their car windows when the car is on the side of the road?

I recently moved to PA from TX and have noticed every car pulled over on the side of the road has a rag, towel or piece of clothing sticking out the side window. Is this a sign for something??

Machete'
This is to indicate that the vehichle has not been abandoned and that the owner intends to take care of it, so the police don't decide to have it towed to an impound lot. Most state police agencies have a standing policy that if a vehichle sits on the side of the road for 24 hrs or more, they have it towed away.

briandjoesmom
Rating
It tells the police that the vehicle got stuck and not abandoned by the driver.

bbqsunflowerseeds
i have never seen that, i live in CO

lexeypa
just to let ppl know the car broke down.. will be back for it please dont tow ...

scooprandell
Rating
TO SIGNAL THAT THEY ARE BROKEN DOWN AN WILL BE BACK LATTER TO GET IT.

Speedbuggy43
Its a sign of a disabled vehicle. It lets people know to leave a little room when driving past, someone could be around that vehicle, of if you feel safe enough, you can stop and offer assistance. If somebody is just sitting in the vehicle, it always appreciated when you call for help.

debbie2243
Instead of raising the hood we used to put a white handkerchief out the window so someone would stop and help us.

MoltarRocks
It's like a signal for help.

Cassie G <3
Rating
It's just their way of telling you that they are coming back to get it and they still want it. In other words it broke down.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How to blinkers prevent car accidents?
Hey, I can't come up with reasons on why blinkers prevent car accidents... can some of you give me reasons why blinkers prevent car accidents? help!...

Are Airbags good or bad?

I am heading to the mountains in the morning with all-season tires. Will I be all right?
I have all wheel drive. The front two tires have great tread, but the rear two are very low on tread. The drive shaft is FWD. The restrictions call for snow tires on all vehicles without 4x4 and snow ...

Why won't American people fight back by not buying gas for their cars, using other means of transportation?
People are driving faster than before the fuel hikes, they seem to be in a big hurry, driving like they are crazy, cutting other cars off in order to get there faster. What's wrong with this ...

Why do the english drive on the left and the americans on the right?

Why are Bicyclists rude and dangerous?
I live in Portland Oregon and drive a car. We are very bike friendly and although its not my thing I'm all for supporting them when its good for the environment and clears congestion...However I...

I just want people views on this situation?
my partner works for a local coach company mainly travelling to london and rochdale uk.

the air con on the bus is busted (for us common sense people the bus should never be on the road ...

Is this true?
supposedly there some gang members driving around with their lights off and they have to go kill whoever flashes them to turn their lights off as a initiation to the gang is this true or just a ...

What are some stupid things people do while driving?
i need ideas here for a story. ...

What is the safest place to sit on a bus?
My public transportation says you are 36 times safer on a bus than a car. But should something for wrong, what would be the best place to sit if the bus were to get into an accident?...

I ran a red light tonight...?
Driving home tonight with my wife in the car I didn't know where I was going. I thought to turn right but as I started to turn right she said no not right and yelled out straight, without ...

The Garage says that it is not possible to fit Snow Chains to a Ford Focus?
Is this true as Traction tires are expensive !!!...

Hi I am from India. My question is "Is a black car unsafe to drive on highways when compared with other colors
Hi I am from India. My question is "Is a black car unsafe to drive on highways when compared with other colors"...

If you are involved in an accident, causing injury or death, you must report it in how long and to who?
To the DMV within 24 days
To the DMV within 24 hours
To the CHP within 24 days
To the CHP within 24 ...

While you are passing on a two-lane road, _________.?
identify an acceleration lane
pass on the right if the shoulder is clear
identify a safe space to return
accelerate above the speed ...

Why do the buttons on my steering wheel have brail on them?

I have a friend who has to attend a 3-day dui driving school. She wants to know what they do in the program.?

What are those buckets that go up in the air called on utility trucks called?
and why when they park in there parking lots, when the day is over do they put the buckets up in the air. My dad said it so homeless people dont sleep in them, but I dont believe him....

How old do you have to be to sit in the front of the car which has an air bag on the passenger side?
i was under the ipression you had to 14 in the front bur now im being told if you have the rite restraint then any age can sit in the front,also ive been told if you are pregnant you are not allowed ...

I put a stick in my dogs nose...?
but now she acts like she knows nothing over in the happyland but she acts like she cant see or smell or touch or breath...how do i get her to stop acting like an idiot?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links