Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Why does speeding car skid when brakes are applied suddenly? then explain?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why does speeding car skid when brakes are applied suddenly? then explain?

my report in school

Vince M
Momentum of the vehicle is stronger than the forces of friction between the tires and the road surface.

ciao.bella
Rating
Inertia makes the car want to keep going forward, so when you suddenly break the mass of the car wants it to keep going. That is why when you suddenly stop you lurch forward. ABS makes it harder to skid and is therefore safer for people who break suddenly.

Scott H
Rating
Uh, because the wheels stop rotating and the tires are sliding on the asphalt.

Spence
Rating
In short its caused by the brakes locking the wheels.....more detail, newer vechiles may have ABS or similar which cuases the brakes to pulse rather than lock allowing the driver to steer the vehicle whilst emergency braking. Although even ABS wont work on most cars below 40kmh, as in dry conditions it will stop quicker locking brakes at this speed.

Micah F
Rating
Because, the force of the momentum is greater than the force of friction between the tires and the road.
When the brake are applied suddenly, at high speeds, they lock up.
When the brakes are locked up, they are not providing any force of friction to slow the car. This causes the burden of slowing the car to be transferred entirely to the friction of the tires, and there just isn't enough to grip the road and bring the car to an immediate stop (which is what would happen if the tires were able to grip with out skidding).
When the brakes and the tires share the burden of stopping the car, the brakes provide friction while allowing the angular momentum of the wheels to continue, and the tires grip the road.

UCANTCME
Ask any of your physicist pals, and they'll tell you that brakes convert the kinetic energy of vehicle motion into heat.

Translation: Brakes stop the car—or more accurately, brakes stop the wheels.

Old Man Dirt
The brake shoes (or pads) can grip the drum (disk) better then the tires can grip the road. So the wheels stop turning and the car skids resulting in the car not being able to be controlled by the steering wheel.

desert camel
Rating
its simply forward momentum of the car,the wheels stop,the car continues on its way and the rubber screech

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When you wipe out in a car with manual transmission. How do you keep it from turning off?
In general, I put the clutch down as I hit the brakes. But I assume in the panic of wiping out it still turns off.

I love manual transmissions, but that is the only thing that really ...

Are my tires low?
Ok I have trouble steering while driving like it feels like it pulls on certain parts of the road is it the road or my car? Cause the steering wheel seems to stick somewhat when i try to move it a ...

Should car companies get a speed ticket for manufacturing fast car which can go faster, then the limit allow?
If the speed limit is a problem then why should car be manufactured to go so fast?

Why do we have to pay speed limit, or radar ticket, when the manufacturer is responsible for ...

Is your turn signal broke or are you always rude?
how many of you find it annoying that people just don't use there turn signal and if they do it is right at the turn instead of before?...

If I get rich and famous and drive my Ferrari the wrong direction down the freeway !?
Do I get a get out of jail free card just because my family is in politics or is a movie star ?...

I am 20 years old and I'm going to take my driver's test tomorrow...?
I feel that I have had plenty of practice, but I'm still really nervous! Any tips or advice that you can give me would be SO very helpful!...

How can I teach my 17 year old son how do to drive?
My son is 17 and is almost 18. He should've gotten his license about a year ago. But the problem is he's having a real difficult time learning how to drive. Although he's a straight A ...

How to get up from chair and walk across room?
When I get up from my chair to walk across the room am I supposed to start with my left or right foot? 10 points for the fastest best answer! I really have to get up from this chair!!! Help!!!
A...

Why isn't lead used instead of rubber in tires?
If tires were made of lead, car and truck rollovers would be almost non-existent. Why has no one thought of this yet?

How can I stop getting shocked every time I step out of my car?
It happens EVERY time! What can I do? It's starting to hurt!...

Which car is considered the most unsafe??
I have to get the perfect gift for a special person (see a previous question I posted). I heard the Corvair is a very unsafe car, and often explodes into a fireball without warning. This sounds ...

What is the correct way to merge into traffic? If power is out at a stop light does it become a 4 way stop?

Additional Details
Why do people try to pass you when you try to merge? Espcially on the higway?...

Should There Be An Age MAXIMUM for driving?
Everyone knows you have to be 16 in most places to legally drive. Should there be a limit on the other end? A lot of teenagers are known for driving fast while a lot of senior citizens slow. Do you ...

What are the worst days and times to drive?

I took a defensive drivers class today and it was excellent!! People that drive have you ever taken a class??
I take one every three years not only do you get 10% off your car insurance you learn how to be a safe driver for yourself and the others on the road...Plus you learn about the new laws and ...

Why is it such a big deal about being on the cell phone while driving?
I know it can be distracting, but what about eating in the car, staring at the speedometer, looking at ur kids in the back seat, putting makeup on.........what is the difference????...

Can i park in handicap spot, when there is no sign? but it is marked on the pavement with logo and blue lines?
someone i know does this....and it really pisses me off....

If i was pulling out of a parking spot, and the person next to me was on the line separating us?
If i was pulling out of a parking spot, and the person parked next to me was on the line separating us and i accidentally hit his car, is this still my fault? And will my insurance go up insanely ...

Where can I buy a reasonably priced GPS

for my car? Please give me links so I can search for a good price. Thanks
Additional Details
I meant a GPS tracking device for my car in case it gets stolen. Sorry....

Parking my bus in the garage.?
I have one of those big old bluebird schoolbuses I turned into a rolling hippy museum. Its such a hugh bus I sometimes have problems getting it into the garage.Whats better, putting mirrors all ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links