Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Why would my tire just fall off?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why would my tire just fall off?

I just cheated death this afternoon on the freeway when my rear tire just flew off. After retrieving the tire, and the only two lugs we could find, it was apparent that the only way the tire would have fallen off was a result from the lugs being completely loosened.
I just had that tire replaced about a month ago. I believe they didn't tighten it properly which resulted in the loosening of all bolts. Any alternatives to this event?

#1 Palin Fan
It happens.

gandrew
Rating
Cheers to the guy above who mentioned re-torquing lug nuts. It is standard practice for garages to tell customers in writing about having the bolts re-tightened after a bit of driving. It is up to us to get it done, and it covers their butt if we do not and the wheels fall off. Glad you are okay. Live and learn.

jimanddottaylor
Fancy alloy wheels are supposed to be re-torqued after they settle in for a bit. Did the tire shop tell you to come back and have them checked? I also know of a fellow who got tired of people parking across his driveway, so he went out and loosened their wheels to teach them a lesson.

j2b4o
You pretty much answered your own question
If your cars damaged I'd go back and tear em a new one till the car was fixed proporly.

Firecracker .
I used to always re-tighten my lugnuts.
Then I started using a garage where I trusted the owner.
He performed a State safety inspection for me, and on the way home I had a real bad shimmy going down the highway. When I got home, I found all the nuts loose on both rear wheels. The next day, he admitted that he had a kid put the wheels back on instead of doing it himself. Even though he was a reliable mechanic, and a friend, he lost my business through this lack of judgement. I have gone back to doing all my truck and auto work. I still do most of my motorcycle work, and work with a trusted mechanic for the rest. Yes, with, as no wrench is allowed near my bike by himself - see above.

The only alternative is to do it yourself.

Scuba Steve JW
Rating
So you only found 2 lugs? I'm surprised you found any.

I have had wheels come off while driving as well. The first time I found all the lugs because they were under the hub cap. The second time, there were no lugs to be found - no hub cap. So we simply took one lug off each of the other 3 wheels to get to an auto parts store and buy more lugs.

Like others have said, "It happens." I have noticed that many shops now put the lugs on with a pneumatic wrench turned down so as not to over torque the lug nuts and then they torque them down with a manual torque wrench.

estielmo
Rating
If you had a hubcap it would have caught them and rattled when you were driving slower. It's a tale of caution to check the tires from time to time.

UCANTCME
Rating
None........the shop that did the work left the lug nuts loose and it happens a lot by people that are in a hurry...

Jenny L.
because its loose:D

mike d
Rating
it might take a month for loose lug nuts to walk themselves off the studs...

shops use air guns with more than 120psi, i believe you forgot to tighten them after you took the jack out

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When your tires wear out on your vehicle, where does the rubber go ?

Cell phone use while driving?
What are peoples personal opinions on whether cell phones use of any kind should or should not be banned while driving? What is your reason in choosing for or against? Thanks in advance....

New to driving, question about downshifting?
hi there im new to driving only had 3 lessons and i only came to realise i was a little confused at what my instructor told me in my last lesson after i thought a little bit about it - i know that ...

What steps should I take, at the scene, if I'm in a car accident?

Why do school buses open their door at railroad crossings?
I saw a school bus stop at a railroad crossing and then open its door. I've seen this many times and wanted to know why......

Why do some people still choose not to wear seatbelts?

If you double your speed when driving, how much does your braking distance increase ?

Are parking garages really safe?
i have heard that they are really not all that safe and that woman should not park in them if they are ...

Is it really safe to use only the front break of a motorbike?
I have been riding my motorbike for about six months now.
I used to use both front and rear breaks when stopping because i have heard its a very safe way to use breaks.
I just had a ...

Why should we leave the scene of an accident if someone is hurt?

What that sport were cars crash into each other?

I recently started driving. Any tips?
I recently got my permit and started driving today. Today was the first day I've actually been out on busy streets. I tried to remain calm, but my grandma was making me a little nervous. I have ...

If a city or town doesn't have enough signs on the street or roads, who can I address?
It's very frustrating to drive in a city that doesn't have enough street and road signs. Can I write to someone about this, like a city official or respresentative?...

Do you ever enter then send text messages on your cell phone while driving?
I thought that, maybe, people were trying to get around those new 'no-cell-phone-use-while-driving laws'!...

How many car accidents have you been in?
What happened? Was it your fault or the other drivers fault? I got in a car accident a couple days ago but it was just a little fender bender. The other driver and I are both fine. No expensive ...

On icy roads and bridges do you drive in 4wd hi or 4wd low?

Is it legal to fall asleep in your car while your drunk with the keys in your pocket in the back seat in PA?
This came up between me and my mom i think it is legal and she believes it isn'...

Why is it discouraged to drive with both feet?
I want to know if it is more dangerous than driving with only one foot. My friend drives with both and when I tell him it's a bad habit he asks why and I really don't know. Is it really ...

Could i have a scooty?
I belong to Class XI, DAV boys' school. chennai, and i'm mad abt driving two wheelers. Is it ok for me to get myself a scooty pep+ or honda activa or anything else(pl. specify)?
Pl. ...

Should the inside of my tires wear faster then the outside of my tires?
the inside treads of my tires are bald but the outside ones are not, is this normal?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links