Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Will leaving your car engine on while pumping gas start a fire?
Find answers to your legal question.

Will leaving your car engine on while pumping gas start a fire?

How can the military do it? Jets and helicopters can fill up while they are running. My dad is a blackhawk pilot and he fills up on ground...with the engine on! No different than a car

George A
Military aircraft & vehicles are physically grounded when they refuel & a "hot refuel" that the military does is extremely dangerous & some aircraft have exploded during the refuel.

Hot refuels are mainly done under combat conditions. The engines on the birds are turning at full or almost full RPM so in the event that they come under enemy fire during the refuel, the pilot can shag *** out of there to keep from getting shot to pieces. You don't have to worry about pulling into Texaco and have to risk coming under an Al Qaeda attack while you are getting gas & have to jump in your car & haul out of there very quickly.

Another safety reason why you are required to shut off your engine is in the event of a gas spill, you won't have a super hot exhaust that could ignite the gasoline or gasoline vapors from the spilled gas.

LA_MISMA_LUNA is in love ♥™
it can generate static electricity.

read the warning on the pump.

like this

http://www.opmca.org/images/WarningLabel.jpg

yes it is different for a car.

mudrat_toy
Rating
I am a Fuels Craftsman in the U.S. Air Force. I have been working with all types of fuel for over 11 years. I assure you there is a huge difference between a vehicle and an aircraft. Yes, we do hot refuels on aircraft. But, they are grounded to equalize the static potential with that of the earth. Additionally, they are bonded to the refueling equipment to equalize between the aircraft and refueler.
The properties of jet fuel are very different from gasoline. You must have higher temperatures to ignite jet juel. The temp must be over 100 degrees just to get it to flash. Lastly, the exhaust. The "fill" points of an aircraft are a closed system. They are engineered to be located in specific areas to avoid all electrical connections, and exhaust ports.
This means that the fuel is nowhere near the hot exhaust.

With a car, you fill it towards the back (where is the exhaust?) and the car is not grounded. Gasoline has a very low flashpoint meaning that even at low temps, it can explode. The spark of a cellphone can (and has) ignite gasoline. It doesn't take much. At our military service station on base, everyone is required to turn their engine off. Just like civilian gas stations.

So, to answer your question. Yes, the potential is very high for that to happen. Will it everytime? No. But, the conditions may or may not be there for a fire to start without you knowing it.

I have seen training videos of what NOT to do. Very graphic videos! Don't play with gas, it will bite you in the A$$!

Fred C
Rating
VERY DIFFERENT.
For one thing, military are trained in treating dangerous fuels with respect, ordinary civilians aren't. In actual fact, most drivers are so cavalier with their treatment of gasoline it borders on criminally stupid. For another, an auto has a spark ignition a few feet from the filler, and a red hot exhaust inches from the ground where the fumes accumulate. Jet fuel is also closer to diesel in properties than gasoline.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

BOYFRIEND WAS JUST IN A CAR ACCIDENT need to know what to do!!!! plz anyone answer this?
my boyfriend and three of his friends were driving to a soccer party when a giant truck slipped on a big patch of black ice. the truck swirved and caused four cars to colide. it was a huge car ...

More dangerous to drive drunk or high?
Which would worry you more, someone driving at .10 or soon after taking several hits of high-grade marijuana?

If you are considering contributing an answer along the lines of 'both ...

Written drivers test!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@@...
DRIVING TEST!!!!!! EASY 10?
Driving Test!!!!!!!!!!!! 10 points?
hello............im having trouble passing the written exam because is so confusing and i don like studying so WHERE CAN I GET...

How long to seat belt injuries to the chest area last?

Why are passengers more prone to injuries and death than the driver in a motor vehicle accident?

How safe is it to drive with a hitch?
I have never drove with a hitch. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport and I'll be traveling about 10 hours on the road (stopping of course) with a toddler in the back seat. Is driving with a ...

I got my permit, But my parents dont want me to teach me to drive?
Ive gotten my permit like a month ago and my dad had asked me if I wanna go practice driving in a parking lot but he never wakes me up. So today I had asked him when he will be home so we could go ...

How can science keep you from getting hurt in car accidents?

Does anyone know of the company that makes the strobe lights that you see on the roof of school buses?
i'm trying to find those strobe lights that you see on top of school buses for fog and heavy snow weather. thank ...

Car accident..Who's at fault?
I was parallel parking, whole car already in the parking space.... looked in the front mirror and no one was behind, while reversing looked at my right side mirror and then i heard a grinding sound ...

Failing to use turn signal/collision?
If someone fails to use their turn signal and someone rear ends them because of it.. is it the person who rear ends thems fault in EVERY CASE....

Is it legal to mount a GPS to a windshield in Ontario (and the rest of Canada)?
I'm asking because apparently some jurisdictions only let you mount it on the dash, not the windshield itself.
Additional Details
Thanks, Jeager. I, as well, doubt I'd get ...

In your opinion which one is safer a car or a motorcycle?

Used Tires: 2 snow tires + 2 all seasons or 4 all seasons?
My car, a 92 Sentra, is on it's last legs so I don't want to put any more money into it than I have to. My tires now don't pass the "head of George Washington on a quarter" ...

Used tires: 2 snows+ 2 all seasons or 4 all seasons?
Last night on black ice I was slipping around too much for my taste. I have a beater, 92 Nissan Sentra in poor shape, and I've been searching for a good used car for a month now, so since all I&#...

Are there any solutions to an icy driveway which do not hurt the driveway?
I've heard that salt is damaging?...

Can someone link me up to a youtube video with a car crash caused by excessive speed?

How much of a difference does it make when you add chains on your tires?
and you're driving in snow or slippery conditions with like ...

Can anybody decribe me here different catagories for pen drive?
hi
i want to know about how pen drives are devided into different catagories. fo eg. pen drive-flash drive-memory drive etc.

http://www.123discountsh...

HOW can I get up an icy/snowy steep driveway?
On my RSX I have Nokian WR G2's which are better than all seasons but not dedicated snow tires.

My driveway is uphill and when it snows/ice I can not get it up. (haha)

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, April 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links