Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Can a person adopt someone who is older than you? and how old do you have to be adopt someone?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a person adopt someone who is older than you? and how old do you have to be adopt someone?

Crucio
Rating
It just depend though some places require that PAP be so many years older then the child(ren) they plan to adopt. Now if someone was 28 and for whatever reason wanted to adopt a 40 year old. I suppose it could happen. It would be strange. I suppose perhaps if the 40 year old was seriously disabled I guess I could see it happening.

Most places want you to be at least 21; some international countries want you to be 25 sometimes older. Like China PAP must be at least 30.

Actually you don’t have to be under 18 to be adopted people can be adopted at any time. The only difference once someone is 18 they don’t need their biological parents to approve it. I have heard of step parents who have adopted their step kids after they turned 18. Typically because they couldn’t adopt them prior to that as one bioParents would not sign away their rights. In most of the cases I have read this “parent” wasn’t involved in the kids lives at all but simple wouldn’t give up rights out of spite.

JENN H - MOMMY OF 2 GIRLS!!!
Rating
you must be over 18 as far as I know, but why would an 18 year old adopt a 30 year old? Doesn't make any sense?

6Belle9
Rating
No, you cannot adopt someone older than you. The minimum age to adopt varies from country to country. Usually the minimum age is 25 years old. To adopt from china you have to be at least 30.

Love em or hate em
maybe if the older person was mentally disabled or something. but other than that, i'm not sure why that woull happen.

MilyMalu
Rating
i dont think you can

but i dont really understand your question can you be a
little more specific and add more detail

Harold Sink
I have never heard of adopting someone older than yourself. I believe you need to be able to show financial stability, a certain number of years at your job, and be at least 26 years old. They want to know you have a few years of supporting yourself or someone else.

urface
Rating
no because u have to be atleast 21 i believe to adopt and once someone is 18 they can no longer be adopted

JYogi
You must be at least 18 and just being 18 doesnt mean much, you have to past intense screening and background checks.
It is very hard for very young and single people to adopt.

You cant adopt someone over 18 either.

You can't adopt before 18 as you are not an adult and can not enter into a contract.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Adoption??
Hi,

If a child is adopted and the adoptive parents die, and the legal guairdians take over. Is there any way getting the child from the guairdians and taking them for myself(i am a R...

Where can I find adoption papers online (not filled out)?

Where can I find an adoption form...or a format for one?

Adoption and foster care?
I am all for fostercare adoption, but I am also for infant adoption too. I personally think that if no babies are adopted, then they will end up in foster too. Doesnt that make things a vicious ...

Foster care or legal guardianship?
My husbands ex girlfriend is signing over her rights of her 2 children tomorrow. I need to know what to do in order to gain legal gaurdianship of the children that way I can take them to the doctors ...

Does it bother you when...?
People talk about 'adopting' pets or Cabbage Patch Kids or anything else that isn't human? It bugs me no end. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but I adopted my son 5 years ago (he&...

Is Adoption to Quck?
Do you think that people jump into adoption to quickly ? without thinking of longer term ramifications ?
Someone posted a comment on another question that they answered and I found myself ...

ChildLine Help....?
I don't understand about the child line help thing. I have problems and I want to call them but will they do some action? Like when I explain to them, will they come to my house and do all that ...

I would like to know how to get changes made to a birth certificate that has been changed after an adoption.?
I was adopted at the age of 13 and of course i was given a new last name and the parents information was made to look like they had been my birth parents. When i was adopted i was very unhappy ...

Finding birth parents help?
i was adopted, and have always knew that when i turned 18 i wanted to find my birth parents. the parents that adopted me will always be my parents, as they have brought me up. but i have never felt a ...

Giving up children for adoption?
I want to give up my two teen age children for adoption, how involved is this? Will this be expensive as my ex and I have very little extra money?
Additional Details
Giving them to my ex&...

I live in louisiana and I am wondering if someone out there has delt with adoption?
My husband wants to adopt my children and I love the idea of it. I am wondering what all this involves, how much it costs and how long it tends to take. Does anybody know?...

How to find out if you are adopted - when no one will tell.?
My husband was supposedly born in Texas at the same hospital as his siblings. We did a serch of county records and there is no record of him. All 3 of his siblings were listed, but not him. His ...

How old do you have to be to adopt a child in California?
My co-worker wants to adopt a child and she 22 years-old but she sooo old she never really gose out or do anything at all!!! She interesting in adopting. But California has all these laws so you cant ...

Do any other adoptees feel like me?
I was adopted..it was never a secret. I was pretty much ok with it. When I got pregnant I wanted to meet my birthmom...it was easy enough because my uncle always knew where she was.

In ...

Second Parent Adoption?
Me and my partner have been together for 10 yrs and are having a baby through AI in about 8 weeks. We already have a 8 yr old. We are desprite to get any help in Louisiana that may help my partner ...

How do I go about finding an adoption Search Angel in Florida? Please help?
Hi, I am just looking to find a search angel to help my girlfriend find her birth mother. She had a closed adoption, so I've already read her parents description and non-identifying information. ...

How does the average person afford adoption?
I am very interested in international adoption but I just have no idea how I can come up with $30,000 for expenses. My husband and I are wonderful parents with a great 6 yr old son, we could provide ...

Well my friend is 19 and is pregnant and she only will keep the baby if some one will like adopt it from her?
soo i was just wondering that could i just adopt it with out going through an agency like let her sign some papers saying that yes she is giving me the rights over to her baby or is it best to get a ...

My husband is adopting my daughter. Has anyone in Ga went thru stepparent adoption.?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links