Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Can we Adopt a child if my husband had a criminal record?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can we Adopt a child if my husband had a criminal record?

He got in a fight with someone it was self defense but there is no self defense law where I live in the US. He has a few minor charges too that were thrown in because they like to charge you with as much bull as possible. are there any countrys that overlook criminal records? or are we just plain screwed. I seen that china goes on a case by case basis, I have hopes for that.

itchianna
Rating
There is no such thing as had a criminal record either you have one or you do not. No, adoption is not a possibility for individuals with a history of violent criminal histories.
It is sad that this has happened but, as an adult you sure make a lot of excuses for his behavior, maybe it is for the best.

nowinteknicolor
your particular case will need to be reviewed by a social worker/ adoption case worker. In the US, these things go on a case by case basis as well. While admittedly, a violent crime on the record does not look good, it is not an automatic exclusion from adoption (like say, molestation, rape or drug trafficking would be)
They may want to see some concrete evidence of how he has reformed, perhaps anger management or other therapy.

Becca
Rating
China does go case by case but given the new restrictions they are being a lot choosier than they were previously.
I would imagine since it was assault charges that will be looked down upon.
Make sure you are upfront with your agency and caseworker from the start. They will be able to give you more direct answers.

jessica300
I don't know, but I'm curious as to what your "dear birthmother letter" says.

TotalRecipeHound
If they are felony convictions, you haven't a hope. If they are misdemeanors that are 8-10 years or older, with no stuff more recently, then it may not be a problem.

spikeitgirl_mcw
Rating
I think you might be out of luck, they try to look past that, but if it isn't on his record that it was self defense, forget it. There are some exceptions though, if everything else is A o.k., then you might have a chance.

cmc
If you want to adopt in the US it might be possible. Talk to the agency who would be doing your home study and give them as much info as possible. Also if will be better if it was a long time ago (not last year). You would need to write up your version, and perhaps get anyone else involved (witness/friend) to back you up. They will likely be able to give you some kind of heads up if it is a show stopper or not. We didn't do international adoption, so I know less about other countries standards.

naenae
Rating
I hope they can look past that for you, but i dont know anything about adoption laws. Everyone make mistakes, so long as generally his temper isnt like that and it was a once off i hope you find somewhere. Now being honest, if i was to adopt out a child, i wouldnt choose you with your record because, if i was presented with a couple with a record, its rather obvious id go with the family with out the record.

Kelly
Rating
It all depends on what he was charged with, but if that is the only thing they can proably look past it. Its somthin you will have to address in your homestudy.

Rosalie R
Rating
i am adopted and i know that when my parents were going through my adoption they had to have a physcial and they had a credit check and a back ground check as well the home was inspected and they have to attend a bible study for a year and also they were forced to answer questions about thier believes (abortion, political views, ect.) it was a very rigorous process...so there is a possiblility that they will not give you a child

GEE-GEE
Rating
Here in the US, I don't think you would be able to. The agencies really look down upon any kind of violent criminal background. I can't say for any of the other countries.

chris
Sadly, It probably wont be too distant when they start taking away your newly born children just because you have a criminal record as well. :( If our government passed a law stating that a married couple would have to give up their own child as soon as it were born, this would be too extreme I think. Does anyone think this could happen? What does anyone think about a law like this?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the age limit to give a baby up for adoption in the state of Texas?

Can anyone tell me where I can find financial assistance for adoptions?
My wife and I recently adopted a new born baby girl after a very short adoption process and we ended up putting some of the expense on credit cards but we don't want to leave it there. Does ...

A question for adoptee's?
do you agree with this statement made by another poster??

"the birthparents vanishes because they don't love the child."...

I just read online that the ACLU opposes open records. Is anybody else surprised by this?
I don't particularly care for the ACLU. It seems they represent people based on political agendas now instead of real free speech. I can't believe they don't support open records. A...

Please answer this!!! I need help!?
OK I am 24 yrs old I just found out my mom may be my grandma and my sister maybe my real birth mom. How do I find this out? my sister is dead, but she left behind two children. Can I have DNA test ...

First opinions on my creative writing piece on adoption? A letter from birthmother to daughter, not finished.?
Dear Daughter,
I remember the day you were born. You were so small, so perfect. A beautiful, screaming human being. I was in awe; this life had come from me! In that moment, your tiny ...

Adopted child?
We have been considering adopting a baby, and althou there are many conserns one question in paticular has been plaguing me- what is a best way to handle the situation when the child says "You ...

Adoption question?
I'm in a real bad situation where I can't give my unborn baby the life he/she deserves and I think adoption is the best choice for the baby. The father of the baby wasn't and isn'...

Can you still get adopted even if your 19?
i have been living with them since i was six, but they never adopted me, but now they want to adopt me because of some issues....

I gave up my baby in 2006....?
I have had four children, and never meant to get pregnant again, so when I did, it was a shock(I was on the pill). Another baby would have been a serious financial burden, but abortion was never an ...

I signed adoption papers on my child when I was sick Does anyone have the answer to getting him back and how?

Additional Details
postpartum depression and was on medication ZOLOFT to be exact. and the state of Virginia was threatening to take my other children and I was not going to let that ...

Why are so many people adopting children from other countries???
i think it's great what they're doing, but why do you think they choose from othere countries instead of their own country??? i know there are plenty of kids in the US that need adopting as ...

Is saving a child from poverty adequate justification for adoption?
No one debates the dire need to save children from the ravages of poverty. And many countries around the world suffer from poverty so profound that citizens of more fortunate countries are severely ...

Why is it important for adoption to be controlled?

Do people honestly believe that the majority, or even a big chunk of foster parents really do it for the money?
I am aware that there are some foster parents out there who truly do foster care thinking they will make money, and then neglect their children. But seriously, do people think that most people do ...

How many adoptees have adopted?
As a person that was adopted, have you considered adopting? Do you know other adoptees that have adopted?

I just think that an adoptee would be close to the perfect AP because they know ...

Why is adoption not an option for many people?
>< It's like it doesn't exist to many people.
Additional Details
>< No,I'm talking about adoption and babies.

Why do so many people don't think ...

Adoption: Do you think this is a natural thing?
Also, what are your views on Adoption generally? Who do you think should adopt and who shouldn't?
Additional Details
I don't think adoption is just for people who can't ...

Is it ever too late to consider adoption?
I'm not saying I'm gonna give my child up for adoption, but I'm 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant. It's been weighing on my mind a lot lately, and do you think it's too late for ...

When a couple is undergoing the process for applying to become adoptive parents...?
What parameters are set in place to ensure that they will be good parents?
Do they interview them about their lifestyles, beliefs on discipline, thoughts and knowledge of child development, etc?<...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links