Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Can you leave foster children with a babysitter?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you leave foster children with a babysitter?

i was just wondering if you foster are you allowed to leave the foster child with a babysitter or another member of the family if you want to go out?
I'm asking for a friend they got a foster child at the moment but its her birthday next week and my daughter who is a trainee teacher has said she would babysit for them would she be allowed?

cheers

HappyMomAnna
In our state at the time (ending in 2004) we could only leave Foster Children in the care of someone "qualified" to "apply" for the background checks.

Meaning we could not leave them with someone who was not living in the household (part of the home study and certification process) Unless, they were old enough to apply to become Foster Parents...

No teenage neighbor's or nieces living outside of our home. But, yes to 17 year-old daughter living in the home.

Betz
Rating
only if they've been police checked i thought??? and registered with social services.

Why thumbs down....my friends are foster parents and that's their situation. I found this through social services......"In all cases, the child’s social worker or family placement worker should be notified of babysitting arrangements for the child, either beforehand or within 24 hours of the arrangement being made, so that accurate records can always be maintained, of arrangements made for children’s care."

If the babysitter is regular, they have to be police checked

sam22254
Rating
No she needs to get with the services that she is a foster parent out of. I helped my neighbor when she needed it but before I could they had to have a back ground check, driver's license and social security . This might sound like a lot but it's wasn't a big deal this protects the child . If the child gets hurt and the baby setter is not approved of your sister could end up in jail. There is a lot of rules where foster care is concern. But God Bless the people that do it for the good of the children.

Heather Leigh
Yes, you can leave them with a baby sitter. Now if it is a regular child care provider, they must be state licensed. If you are in doubt, have her check with the agency that licensed her.

Hope your friend has a wonderful birthday!! All parents need an occasional break from the kids.

TAC
Rating
they have to be registered with social services, as someone who might watch the children. It's a really thoughtful idea...Maybe your daughter could give her friends a gift card for a restaurent or movie instead...

ETA- really ALL caretakers need a break) Are you really telling me you- eat, breathe & sleep nothing but your children...Honestly...? Or is your time out on the computer...? Then is that really any different than hiring a babysitter....
It's statments like yours that create Mommy Guilt for others that need a break to be a better parent.

Randy B
The rules in my area allow for it and they even reimburse the sitting costs, if any. We have no requirement for a police check for the sitters either.

↑ ♥ Mama to Michael ♥ ↑
No you cannot just leave a foster child with anybody. The babysitter needs to be crb checked and approved by social services before they can look after a child in care.

You friend should tell her childs social worker that she want to put the child into respite care for that event and then the social worker will be able to find an approved person to babysit the child.

L R
Thats weird because I have been a foster parent & our children services department has free babysitting for foster parents if they want to go out & every other weekend if a foster parent needs a break & asks for it. They are very particular so I would call them first

R
yes we have to name a secondary caregiver and an emergency. They don't get checked as we do (fiances etc) but they do check them and if they are going to stay at their house over night they need to do a safety check. If they will just be there a few hours no need for a safety check. If they find out you leave your foster kids with ANY and i mean ANY other person other than your alternate or emergency contact your foster children will be taken away.

Neil
They told us in training that only, only, ONLY have people with fingerprint clearances on file may be responsible for the children at any time. The rules may be the same in your state,, or they may be different.

Sali
I think so if the baby sitter is registered or ask the centre to be safe.

Sofiakat
Rating
In Ontario Canada, the sitter needs to be approved by CAS which includes a police check and an interview with either the children's foster worker or the foster parents social worker. If the sitting will be done in the sitters home then the home would have to be inspected as well.
In Ontario they also offer so many hours of respite care with a trained and approved respite foster worker each month. The amount of hours is dependent on the childs placement needs. For example, if the child is in regular foster care the amount of hours would be less than for a child that is in a theraputic foster home. We had my husband's parents certified and their car certified (children in foster care here are only allowed to ride in cars with special insurance qualifications and after it has been checked for car seat regulations).
If you are in the USA I am not sure how it works. I am assuming it is probably a lot more lax.

nanny chris w
Rating
Betz' answer is correct (in Wales anyway)

Mom to Foster Children
Sure she can. I would make sure that the child knows your daughter and is comfortable being around her and that your child understands a little of what's going on and why the child lives with your friend..

Foxy Lady & Baby due 15/10/09
Yes, but I THINK the baby sitter/other members of the family need to be police checked first. This was certainly the case a few years ago when friend of mine was fostering a child, I don't know if things have changed now though

aloha.girl59
We had 3 babysitters we used on occasion when my son was in foster care. (We have since adopted him.) One family (mom, dad, foster child) we met in our MAPP classes and they had been fingerprinted and cleared through the Dept. of Justice as they also had a foster child they were caring for. The other two babysitters were single women in their early 30s who worked with my husband. We paid for their fingerprinting and DOJ clearances and since my husband knew them well from work, we were comfortable leaving them with our son.

Most of the times we left our son with a sitter was when we went to our adoption group classes!

FlutterMeBy
Rating
I was a former foster child and I remember being "baby sat" by 2 good friends of the family I was living with at the time. One was interested in adopting me( for a while I was up for adoption) and I stayed with her when my foster mom went into labor.

There was another time that my sister and I stayed with another friend of theirs( she was another foster parent though)

In another home, we would go to the foster's mother's mom's house asfter school until she and her husband got off work.

Since shes your daughter I'm pretty sure the social services would approve of it, call and ask to be sure though. I also remember staying with foster grandparents. And even a foster aunt...but i was with that family for 3 years so they were like FAMILY lol.

I'm sure the social services are familar with your daughter? You should call and ask just to be sure though because in some states they do things differently.

Kate
Only if they have clear crim check.
I am a daughter of foster parents living at home and although I have never left the home, I had to have a crim check done at 18.

Sophie
yes

Opedial
All babysitters had to be on an approved list. We gave a list of our sitters and they ran social work checks etc. They were all friends of ours so police checks were not necessary.

Right now we don't have a sitter for our own kids....tried twice and got called back both times...kids really act up while we are away!

lucy
Put it this way, yes she can baby sit, its not illegal.
its perfectly fine.

Nicoleigh ツ
Rating
Yeah she would be :) ... Have fun out lol x

I ♥ Purple
No I don't agree with having babysitters...if your children can't go with you it isn't important enough to go.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Adoption fashion?
Do you think adoption has become like a fashion trend or something? I mean, there seems to be more kids being adopted out. Do you think there is something wrong here? Do you think more trips to the ...

I wanna put my baby up for adoption?
Hi...

I was wondering how i could do this. I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant. I dont wanna keep my baby i wanna give it to a loving couple. :)

Thank you. ...

My parents-in-law, their really close friend had a baby and his wife is skisafrenic....?
My parents-in-law's close friend had a baby and his wife is skisafrenic and cannot take care of her baby b/c she threatens to kill the baby and the baby's daddy. The baby's daddy is ...

Adoption? plz many qs?
I want my mom to adopt a little sister for me, and I was wondering if you adopt does it have to be a baby or can you adopt like 3rd graders, or like 7 yr olds? How does it work? Just curiuos any info ...

Why do you think that AP's are better parents?
than biological parents?

Adoptive parents spend more money on their children, and find more time for parent-child activities, than do biological parents. They get more involved in extra ...

How can I convince my future husband to adopt?
My mother adopted my sisters and did foster care while I was growing up. I want to adopt children instead of having them, I think it is the right thing to do! From children suffering to ...

Adoptees...were you a gift from god?
Do you feel that god himself gave you to your a-parents as a gift?
Additional Details
Eh, this isn't a question about whether or not adotpion needs fixing.

This is a ...

What kind of negative effects does adoption have on kids?
im writing a paper on the effects adoption has on kids, on the birth family, and on the adoptive parents. i have found some info but it doesnt have the info i need please help me and if you have ...

Why are people calling me out and naming me on here?
I don't care if people disagree, tell me I'm wrong, etc, but why pick me out of everyone to call out and try to put down my voice and my own experiences?

Don't I have the ...

If you stop thinking of it as a "RELINQUISHMENT, " wouldn't you feel better?
That is such a negative term to use for what should be a beautiful piece of life.

You weren't rejected, you were welcomed. Maybe you had one of those AP that stupidly placed the ...

Since most people don't want to adopt older kids, should the foster care system stop trying?
And instead spend its money on excellent group home facilities with excellent therapists and then programs for the kids so that when they "age-out" they are prepared to goto college, trade ...

For those adoptees who dislike adoption, what is your opinion on breastfeeding an adopted child?
I wondered if this opinion may be different in those with negative adoption thoughts/experiences.
My son is now 3 months old, we adopted him at 5 days old. Because I was still breastfeeding my ...

Does anyone ever wish they were adopted?
and had better paretns than the ones that they got by chance?
Additional Details
so why do adoptees always want other parents than the ones the y were ...

Share your rude/nasty adoption stories?
we all have had them, the nasty rude comments from people that dont know you or your biological parents. they make assumptions and share their uneducated 'advice'

so what is the ...

HELP! I have a serious question about my daughters father signing over rights!?
Ok here it is...my baby daddy has never seen my daughter. He wants to sign over rights. I am getting married and my future husband will adopt her, the biological father wants to sign over rights so ...

Adoptees, were you completely truthful with your adoptive parents?
Growing up, when you were asked how you "felt" about adoption did you tell the truth? Or if you were asked if you wanted to "find" your parents, were you honest with your ...

Do you think that children who are adopted requier MORE attention and hugs than bio chiildren?
For bond reasons?...

How perfect does a mother have to be?
Given the level of redefinition going on here, I'm very curious about the word, "mother."

Do people assume that someone who is a mother is a good person, by definition?

Why is everyone asking for my baby?
I placed my last child for adoption and it nearly killed me. I'm pregnant again and thrilled (and keeping the baby) but everyone I tell that knows I placed my son asks if they can adopt this one ...

Adopted child AND biological child?
i have a 5 year old son that i absolutely adore. i'm happily married, and i can't seem to have another child. we've gone through fertility treatments, and i just had a miscarriage a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links