Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Have you adopted through DSS?
Find answers to your legal question.

Have you adopted through DSS?

We're in the process now. Just wanted to get some input from families who've gone through it.

StacieG
Rating
We're foster parents through the state foster system. We've taken several children into our home & have loved it. We also pursued an adoption of a young lady who was nearly an adult. She decided that she liked the plan she had for her life & to not move forward with an adoption, but we stay in contact with her.

We went through the 10 week training (once a week, three hours per meeting) which opened our eyes to so many issues. We got fingerprinted, background checked, child abuse & neglect checked, had our homestudy, etc. about two years ago.

We also adopted internationally about 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm so glad we did it (the adoption & working through foster care). Our lives are so rich and full & we love it!

Cheech
Yes, and I would not deal with Texas what so ever. They hurt us, they hurt the children and our finances.
They sent children they just wanted out of the system. They were advised by professionals to send them one at a time. We were told the professionals didn't know what they were talking about and that the girls were fine.
They are scary people and the older of the two was showing sociopath signs. The only thing that would calm her was litheum ! VERY FEW have the ability to bond with you.

bigdreams_1999
We have adopted through Child Services in Missouri. Additionally we adopted privately.

State adoptions are very emotional particular if the placement is made before parental rights are terminated. In addition through the state infant or under three year old adoptions are very rare without sibling groups.

I wish you the very best we love our children so much they definitely were worth the anxiety and concern. If you need advice privately contact me. We are pretty much private citizens with an extensive knowledge of legalities due to the private adoption being contested and the State adoption having many barriers and ups and downs before the decree was issued.

AdoptiveMama
We are in the process right now as well, for the first time. And I have to admit, it is very difficult....but we just keep reminding ourselves that we will have a beautiful child when it is all said and done.

BPD Wife
Our son was in Kinship Care with his biological grandparents when we proceeded with a private adoption. We didn't technically "adopt" from DSS, but we did have involvement with them thru the state of NJ. We went thru a lot of difficulties with them, but not all states are the same. If I can provide any assistance, please email me thru my profile.

TaxMaven
Rating
My sis ATTEMPTED to adopt 2 children from Social Services in TX. The bio mother (a crack ho who let her boyfriends 'use' these children in the most disgusting ways) had abandoned them. DSS promised that rights would be terminated a.s.a.p., & my sis could adopt the children. Instead, they lied to the judge about the bio mom's incooperation w/his orders & eventually just gave them right back to her...even though she had not had even ONE clean drug test! In the meantime, the grandparents (AND the "Child Advocates" volunteer!!) STALKED my family members (including ME!) (not just my sis), made false reports to DSS, etc. They even PHYSICALLY ATTACKED my neice (11yo) in a parking lot. By the time these (foster) kids come back into the system (which they surely will), they will be so screwed up that bonding will be virtually impossible. This was the DETERMINING factor in our decision to do only foreign, private adoptions in the future. There are soooooo many children in foster care, but, seeing what I have seen, I could never withstand what my sis tolerated. I want more children, but I am more willing to travel to unstable 3rd world countries than to deal w/DSS.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What did you give your lost child this season?
That their adoptive families could not?...

I'm thinking about adopting 2 kids...What do you think about adoption?
Friends are trying to discourage me from doing this. They claim that most American kids are problem children that nobody wants, and that sometimes things get so bad that the adoptive parents have to ...

If you relinquished a child and gave them up for adoption, over time, did your family ever talk about them?
I was wondering, did your parents ever acknowledge the child ever existed? Did they want pictures if you got them? Did they want you to relinquish or did they want you to parent? Was it an elephant ...

What do you think of this response to the NCFA re. protecting privacy of first mothers?
Below is what I think an excellent response to the NCFA's latest clarification of it's archaic agenda - to fight open records for adopted people in order to protect the privacy of women who ...

My husband and I are looking to adopt. Any suggestions?

My husband and I are wanting to adopt, but right now we are limited money wise (due to having paid for tubal reversal surgery and other fees toward adopting a baby that never came through). So ...

Adoption????
So, I am still contemplating adoption.
I'm 27,have been married for 3 years,and live a very financially stable life.
We have a biological daughter,&would like to expand our family ...

Adopting a friends baby?
If a friend is having a baby but doesn't want it, is there a way to adopt it without going through the courts?...

Adoptee feeling torn and confused, Dont know what to do?
I met some of my birth family 3 years ago, my birth mother is mentally ill but is desperate to see me. I sent a letter to her & said maybe i could meet her later in the year, & my birth aunt ...

I need some info on having my soon to be husband adopt my 6 month old baby.?
I need help gettin info. I am in Canada.. and have a six month old baby. The bio-dad was not around during the pregnancy.. and has only seen my baby a few times. He is no longer a part of the babies ...

Mothers of adopted children ONLY, just curious?
i thought that in order to better understand each other, maybe this would be a good chance to answer a question without feeling like you're on the defense.

1. what is it you want to ...

Pop Quiz Which Organization was Formed for the Sole Purpose of Denying Adoptees The Truth of their Origins?
10pts for the first correct ...

Is it a good idea to offer "incentives" to your child's caretaker to get any additional info?
When we met our daughter in China we bombarded her caretaker with questions. She was very friendly, but a little guarded. Needless to say we didn't get anything significant.
I've been ...

Recommendations?
So, my husband and I have been interested in adoption for a while now. I'm 27, He's 31, we've been married for 3 1/2 years now and have a biological daughter. We are financially, ...

Questions about older kids?
My husband and I are considering the adoption of an older child. We’ve read through a good many “horror” stories and the usual collection of dire warnings that ‘these kids won’t behave in a way ...

What are the chances of me sucessfully adopting a child ?
3 years ago i gave birth to my son ..I was such a high risk patient , I swore if i lived and my son was okay i woulnt have anymore children ..Okay 3 years down the road my son is asking for his baby ...

Finding Birth Parents?
So I have looked on Yahoo Answer and I am just not finding the answer I am looking for. I have 1 younger sister and 2 older brothers. We are all adopted and my sister is my half sister (same mother)...

Finding my birth mother?
I was given up for adoption at birth and lived in foster care until i was adopted into a loving family. Although I love the family I am with i really want to meet my birth mother.

I know i ...

Im 13 and im thinking about my life when im older like adoping a baby from china?
im 13 and im thinking about my life when im older like adoping a baby from china.. is this normal or noo
Additional Details
well i want to be a teacher of younger kid like kindergarden ...

What happened to the top answerers?
All the regular top answerers are gone, and have been replaced by new people. Weird! Am I the only one who sees this?
Additional Details
It must be just me then. WEIRD!! I see Tish ...

Adopting sister's kids without consent?
My sister is trying to adopt my nephews without consent from my other sister, my other sister was in jail and my nephews havent seen my other sister in 4 yrs she abandond them. How would my Sister F...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links