Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

How can I adopt a kid off the street?
Find answers to your legal question.

How can I adopt a kid off the street?

I live in a fairly large city (6 millions people) and there are a lot of kids that live pretty much on the street. How can I adopt one?
Some of the kids hardly have clothes to wear and either sleep on the streets or in a tiny house with 10 other people.
Is it possible to just get a parent to sign over a kid? I know some of the mothers would just like to know that they have one less kid to feed and know that their child will be living better somewhere else.
Additional Details
Actually I live in the U.S.
Pretty sad, isn't it?

Gaia Raain
Rating
You'd probably get the best results if you start by volunteering at a homeless shelter for teens in your area. Most of the homeless teens you see are homeless by choice, and you wouldn't be able to adopt any of them, because they're either not in the system, or they ran away from their last placement. You won't find a homeless teen to adopt by going to DHS and asking. But if you volunteer at a teen shelter, you can get to know the kids, and the word will eventually get out that you're someone they can trust. Talk to the employees at the shelter about your thoughts, and see what they say. My guess is that you won't be able to adopt one of these kids, but you might be able to foster one or two, after they get to know you and trust you. But don't expect them to stay at your house, either. Sometimes, it feels safer to be sleeping in a cardboard box than under someone else's roof, especially when that "someone else" has historically been the person who hurts you the most. It can be scary to feel as though you owe someone something. You could help a lot of these kids just by volunteering at a shelter, and just being there for them, and not expecting anything in return (even if you're not expecting anything from them in return for room and board, it can feel that way, whether that's your intention or not). Good luck!

LaurieDB
No, children can't just be "turned over" to someone else by their parents. The department of children's services would actually have to have a case open on the family before consideration of parental rights being terminated could even be made.

If you are seriously concerned about some of these kids, you should contact the department of children's services to get help for them.

Baby_#3_ontheway!
Rating
Ok, this is interesting. You seem like a real stand up person to wanna take in a homeless kid and make them your own... I dont know how you can do that though. Isnt there a court house or somewhere you can go to, to get the answers. Maybe talk to some of those homeless people. You can get DCFS involved, or maybe just start out as a foster parent....

Expecting #1 12/17/09
Legally, a parent can sign their child over to another. The state honestly doesn't care, as long as their not being asked to do anything.

R
Well the mother can make you legal guardian that is not the same as adoption though. you are resposibel for them and make decisions but the parent can get them back. If you want to adopt adopt then you need to go to court and need a lawyer

happygirl
All you have to do is go to a notery with the parent and have them give you gaurdianship. It is reversable of course but gives you permission to make medical, school, and whatever other descisions you would need to make doable without a legal hassle.
So yeah, it is possible.

Sharon B
i thank what your doing is ok in a way you know like you wont to help them but its wrong you cant do that#
No, children can't just be "turned over" to someone else by their parents. The department of children's services would actually have to have a case open on the family before consideration of parental rights being terminated could even be made.

If you are seriously concerned about some of these kids, you should contact the department of children's services to get help for them.

* 1 day ago

* 8 Rating: Good Answer
* 0 Rating: Bad Answer
* Report It

Sorry, you must be Level 2 to rate
#
Baby_#3_ontheway!'s Avatar by Baby_#3_...

Total points:
1163 (Level 3)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

Ok, this is interesting. You seem like a real stand up person to wanna take in a homeless kid and make them your own... I dont know how you can do that though. Isnt there a court house or somewhere you can go to, to get the answers. Maybe talk to some of those homeless people. You can get DCFS involved, or maybe just start out as a foster parent....

* 1 day ago

* 4 Rating: Good Answer
* Report It

#
Sharon B's Avatar by Sharon B

Total points:
124 (Level 1)

i thank what your doing is ok in a way you know like you wont to help them but its wrong you cant do that

* 1 day ago
* - Edit
* - Delete

* 0 Rating: Good Answer
* Report It

#
Lilli's Avatar by Lilli

Total points:
1277 (Level 3)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

This depends which country you live in. Any western country and you could not officially adopt a kid off the street without going through a legal process.

It does sound like you live in a poor or developing country, where there are thousands of poor people, and so you would get thousands of poor kids, some living on the streets. I am sure you could take a kid or two home and give them TLC, food and clothes and a new home, but whether or not your country would let you officially adopt them is something you would have to find out from your official system.

In such countries with these conditions, and you know the parents of the kids you would like to look after, then maybe if those parents know you can give their kid a better life, or maybe they are not bothered about their kids, then maybe they would sign a paper to say they give them up for adoption, but maybe this would not be lawful.

I hope you are able to help some of them, Good luck.

* 1 day ago

* 0 Rating: Good Answer
* 2 Rating: Bad Answer
* Report It

#
Gaia Raain's Avatar by Gaia Raain

Total points:
4276 (Level 4)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

You'd probably get the best results if you start by volunteering at a homeless shelter for teens in your area. Most of the homeless teens you see are homeless by choice, and you wouldn't be able to adopt any of them, because they're either not in the system, or they ran away from their last placement. You won't find a homeless teen to adopt by going to DHS and asking. But if you volunteer at a teen shelter, you can get to know the kids, and the word will eventually get out that you're someone they can trust. Talk to the employees at the shelter about your thoughts, and see what they say. My guess is that you won't be able to adopt one of these kids, but you might be able to foster one or two, after they get to know you and trust you. But don't expect them to stay at your house, either. Sometimes, it feels safer to be sleeping in a cardboard box than under someone else's roof, especially when that "someone else" has historically been the person who hurts you the most. It can be scary to feel as though you owe someone something. You could help a lot of these kids just by volunteering at a shelter, and just being there for them, and not expecting anything in return (even if you're not expecting anything from them in return for room and board, it can feel that way, whether that's your intention or not). Good luck!

* 1 day ago

Source(s):
Take what you like and leave the rest. This works for me.

PAP adopting through foster care in Oregon.

* 5 Rating: Good Answer
* Report It

#
I AM's Avatar by I AM

Total points:
1019 (Level 3)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

Legally, a parent can sign their child over to another. The state honestly doesn't care, as long as their not being asked to do anything.

* 21 hours ago

* 2 Rating: Good Answer
* Report It

#
happygirl's Avatar by happygir...

Total points:
4619 (Level 4)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

All you have to do is go to a notery with the parent and have them give you gaurdianship. It is reversable of course but gives you permission to make medical, school, and whatever other descisions you would need to make doable without a legal hassle.
So yeah, it is possible.

* 21 hours ago

Source(s):
I have taken in kids on more than one occasion due to problems/ emergencies within thier families.

* 1 Rating: Good Answer
* Report It

#
R's Avatar by R

Total points:
15096 (Level 6)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

Well the mother can make you legal guardian that is not the same as adoption though. you are resposibel for them and make decisions but the parent can get them back. If you want to adopt adopt then you need to go to court and need a lawyer

* 15 hours ago

* 1 Rating: Good Answer
* Report It

#
Mark P's Avatar by Mark P

Total points:
153 (Level 1)

* Add to My Contacts
* Block User

it is impossible and you will have to go to court and do the entire process.

Mark P
it is impossible and you will have to go to court and do the entire process.

Lilli
Rating
This depends which country you live in. Any western country and you could not officially adopt a kid off the street without going through a legal process.

It does sound like you live in a poor or developing country, where there are thousands of poor people, and so you would get thousands of poor kids, some living on the streets. I am sure you could take a kid or two home and give them TLC, food and clothes and a new home, but whether or not your country would let you officially adopt them is something you would have to find out from your official system.

In such countries with these conditions, and you know the parents of the kids you would like to look after, then maybe if those parents know you can give their kid a better life, or maybe they are not bothered about their kids, then maybe they would sign a paper to say they give them up for adoption, but maybe this would not be lawful.

I hope you are able to help some of them, Good luck.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you think that it will ever be more cost effective to adopt?
What can we do to help to make it that way?

Honestly... I've always wanted to adopt. I see no need to bring a new life into the world when there are already so many infants born ...

How do you know what race you are ?
like how do you know if your black, white or chineese?...

Child Proofing? Homestudy?
I am havin my homestudy soon for foster parenting what things should I do to prepare for it?
Additional Details
I live in California and the babies will be 0-18 ...

Is there any leniency in the waiting period for adoption after a loss?
My husband and i have lost two babies in the past year. Our son was born at 41 weeks and died at 36 hours old due to blood loss caused by Vasa Praevia. Our daughter was still born at 25 weeks and ...

I would just like to know?
how many birth mothers here, CHOSE adoption, and how many actually were forced, pressured or tricked into doing so?

I ask this because I have the impression that most people I have saw on ...

What would you have done in this situation?
Alright,so I was adopted out of my family when I was about a year old or so,I must admit I have dealt with it some what alright. I was also born quite premature,and about a year later my parents had ...

Experiencing such Raw Emotions!?
Well, I have been reading and Answering questions here on Y!A in regards to my Adoption, My Childhood growing up in Abuse and my Fmom's inability thus far to Confess my Existence to her Family!<...

How do I go about legally getting my friend's baby??
My friend just found out last night that she is six months pregnant. Didn't know until now. She already has a 10 year old and has her 2 year old niece. She says she isn't ready for ...

Is this possible...?
I'm single and want to adopt. I'm an Attorney, and I have the money to support a child. Could I still adopt even though I'm single, and about how much does it cost to actually adopt a ...

AP's: Do You Sometimes Feel Like Everyone's Mother Here?
I find that in places like this as an Adoptive Mother I am seen as the point of all mother pain everyone seems to have....

As an AP I am accused of all sorts of things, and held ...

My 30 year ole daughter moved out and left me with her 2 yr ole son, i have a notarized copy of a emergency .i
His father is unknown to me and her, but I dont care I love him as if I had him. She has a history of bipolar and syco promblems I have tried so hard to help her. i have done everything under the sun ...

Why do parents carry on about their biological children?
What do people mean about loving 'their own flesh and blood'? l think it's completely selfish and self absorbed. Are you saying you can't love a child unless it has your dna? l ...

What are my chances for adoption from human services?
i am 19 years old.i am not married but have a fiance and we do live together we own a fairly large home that has plenty of space for us and a child we have plenty of money to support a child.we are ...

I have to write a letter for my friends who are trying to adopt. What do I write?
I know that they will make good parents. And that they have a good christian life, he is my youth pastor!! She is one of my really good friends. But I just cant write I know they will make good ...

Can a 18 year old adoptive girl leave adoptive home and move back home with birth-mother.?
i have 8 children and 3 of them i voluntary gave my rights to this woman cause at that time i wasn't able to care for them,and my three other sons they with someone else and she has guardianship ...

Has anybody noticed that some people request emails from people who are considering adoption...?
but on questions that are not from a person considering adoption, they give a real answer. I'm on to you!!

Seems like someone is soliciting for adoptions in a very sneaky manner. I ...

Looking into adoption...?
I have no idea where to start. My husband and I have been together for five years now. We have a 2 year old and a 1 year old. Both very healthy boys. I have always wanted a girl. My pregnancies did a ...

What does anti-adoption really mean?
I'm asking this question because some of you that I would have liked to contact through e-mail to explain myself more clearly... don't have your e-mail options turned on.

No, I ...

Des anyone know how to adopt without going through an agency or paying a lot of money?
I know a girl that is pregnant and she hates the baby and doesnt want anything to do with it she wants to give it up for adoption and she just wants someone to take the baby as soon as she has it. S...

Adoption question?
i do not mean to offend anyone who has put their child up for adoption, has adopted, or has been adopted [i was adopted when i was 5].

i was wondering how a parent could put their child ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links