Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

How would describe the typical adoptive parent?
Find answers to your legal question.

How would describe the typical adoptive parent?

jsa1962jsa
This is more a note to Mei-Ling than an answer to the question.
Mei-Ling, your response carries wisdom and is dead on in many important respects. I am an adoptive parent of 11 children af many races-Asian, African American and Hispanic. A successful adoption must be based on respect for the child's ethnicity and heritage, understanding of his uniqueness and hurdles, appreciation of his gifts and potential and honesty relating to his origin and place in your life. Of course, all of the other essentials of child rearing and parenthood apply to the adopted child as well. But above all a child of different ethnicity must understand that you value him for all the elements that go into making him who he is.
It is also important to keep in mind that as time goes on, the adopted child is likely to have unique struggles that a birth child does not--dealing with the original rejection by the birth parent and identity struggles as he explores his birth heritage. Helping with both requires a lot of work, love and patience. Speaking from my experience, the rewards can be great, resulting in strong, connected adults who have the remarkable fluency and understanding coming from the amalgamation of more than one heritage.

MamaKate
Is this a trick question?

There is no such thing as a "typical adoptive parent" any more than there is a "typical adoptee" or "typical first parent" or even "typical adoption" for that matter.

There is no such thing as a "perfect family" or a "normal person" either. These are ideals - not reality.

Every situation and every person is different.

Opedial
Rating
There is no one typical adoptive parent. I think what you are getting at is how can people paint all adoptive parents with the same brush stroke?

I think Mei-Ling's answer is perfect!

kitta
What is typical?? Anyone can be an adoptive parent...

my child's adopter:

5'4"
250 lbs
high school grad
truck stop dollie
skilled in supplying psycho-tropic meds to toddlers
multiple marriages
bone-breaker

Mom to Foster Children
Well

5'4"
120 pounds
College Degree
Married
three dogs
home owner

realmom lese
they feel entitled to what doesn't belong to them
they are liars and thieves
they are insecure yet egotistical
the world revolves around them
they lack empathy and compassion
they are rescuers and you better be grateful

sunny
Rating
Insecure and controlling.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is there an adult adoption agency?
I am just wondering because I understand there are alot of children that age out of social services care without parents. Surely someone has set something up to help them find a family by now lol.

Anyone that had an abortion?
What was the procedure what was it like? Was it painful? How did you feel afterwards? What were the side effect? What were the emotional effects after even months years later? Any detailed ...

What do I have to go through in the adoption process?
If im thinking about adopting a child, what do i have to do or go through before the child is completely mine?
Please give a step be step and/or give details thanx!!!...

People who are anti adoption, are there any exceptions to the rule?

Additional Details
there are lots of people who don't agree with adoption. so if you're not going to ANSWER the question, keep your OPINIONS to yourself....

What would you do if you were..?
6 months Pregnant.
No job.
No Insurance.
No money coming in whatsoever.
The father is a felon.
He has no job either.
He struggles to feed himself.
Can'...

If someone labels themselves as either "anti adoption" or "pro adoption" are you less likely to listen...?
to what they have to say?...

What are your thoughts on this article?
http://www.orlandoweekly

What are your thoughts on the funding for CPCs?

Should there be rules about professionals and organizations ...

If you had an unintentional pregnancy, would open records make you choose abortion rather than adoption?
Let's make the assumption that the pregnancy was not caused by rape or incest, and that there was no way you could parent the child. This is specifically about open records - allowing your ...

How do I legally adopt my brother?
Now, to preface, my wife and I already have legal guardianship over him (my brother) but I feel legal adoption would fofer a better set of legal protections in addition to emotional security for him. ...

AP's and adoptees...child in need of special care?
Hi,
My sister is asking for some information about resources for foreign adoptees in need of special therapy/treatment.

My sister's student is 8 years old, and is the oldest of ...

Somebody helpme about adoption international?
I live in florida and I wish adoption in Peru .....but i dont known what i need to do first...... I thinking maybe locator some agency but what agency work with Peru please help ...

What are your experiences on adoption?
I have a friend who I found out was adopted. For her, it's a very personal matter and a few times have shed tears about being adopted. She loves her adoptive parents and her younger sister (her ...

WAS NILA HILTON OF REACHING ARMS INTERNATIONAL ADOPTION AGENCY INDICTED AND / OR CONVICTED?
INVESTIGATIONS OF WERE TAKING PLACE IN 2007 WHT WAS THE OUTCOME IN ANY?...

Custody Battle/adoption?
Hey okay..im about to be 18 and my Nephew is with C.P.S and i want to get custody of him before anyone else tries to..how can i make my chances of winning stronger?...

Concerns/Issues with adopting a child aged 3 or 4 against adopting a baby?
What problems do you think could occur and how would they be over come?...

Help with NY Birth Certificate Codes?
Can someone help me identify what the numbers on a birth certificate mean

It says state file number 131-74-045734, I know that one batch means city etc but can anyone help me find out ...

Adopting African Children?
My partner and I have been wanting to adopt 1 or 2 children from Africa for quite some time. What is the first step we should take into the adoption process?...

Getting rid of pre-birth matching?
So many people think that pre-birth matching is wrong and coersive (me included). What I am wondering is what could a woman who decides to relinquish but has not matched pre-birth realistically do ...

Is it illegal to contact a child you gave up for adoption before she is 18....she is 17 1/2?

The positives of pre birth matching?
Anyone?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links