Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

I am adopted, can I be unadopted?
Find answers to your legal question.

I am adopted, can I be unadopted?

and how? I am 22 by the way, so legal age. Its just my family isnt really a family. they are terrible

Robin
Rating
It's called adoption dissolution or disruption, actually. And it's a sad fact of adoption in some cases. It usually applies to minors - children who are still the legal responsibility of their adopted parents. Which, in your case, doesn't apply.

In your case, as in mine, it's more of an emotional "unadoption". My a.mom unadopted me 2 days after my a.dad died. In retrospect, he was our reason for putting up with each other.

And while many happy adoptees don't want to acknowledge that it happens sometimes, as our situations prove, adoption does not always a family make.

There is nothing for you to do "legally" since you are of legal age and responsible for yourself. You have no legal responsibility to your adopted parents or family.

Go on with your life. Create a family with close friends. Hopefully one day you'll have a family of your own to add to that circle. I now have a husband, 4 kids (2 step) & 3 grand kids. I still have a relationship with my 2 adopted siblings. And I keep in touch with a couple of 1/2 sisters related through my birth father.

I cut my adopted family off the 1st time at around 18 for 6 months. Then again around 19 for over 5 years. I haven't had a relationship with my adopted mom in 12 years now.

Good luck to you. Feel free to contact me if you wish.

MamaKate
Rating
Dear Flirt,

There have been a few rare cases where adoptions have been annulled or overturned but they were cases of extreme fraud and kidnapping. In general, it is not possible to be "unadopted". Adoption is permanent.

BUT you DO have options!

You can legally change your name and disown your adoptive family.

or

Most states allow for adult adoption if you have someone who you prefer as a legal parent and is willing to adopt you. (This includes being "re-adopted" or "adopted back" by a member of your biological family.)

All of these things have different laws and procedures depending on the state you are in but they are almost always handled by the local probate attorney. (You can call or visit your local probate court clerk to get information for your area.)

http://adopting.adoption.com/child/adopting-an-adult.html
http://adopting.adoption.com/child/state-laws-on-adult-adoption.html (Links to US state laws concerning adult adoption)
http://www.adoptingback.com/

I hope you find the choice that is right for you and I wish you the best of luck for a happy and healthy future! :)

23 year old texas female married
Rating
You can be readopted if you wanted to by your birth family if they wanted to adopt you back in. It is a lot cheaper to adopt an adult then a child. But you can certainly disown your parents and never see them again. A lot of people do that too.

Elanshaw
No, you can't be unadopted.
But because you are now of legal age you can look for your birth parents.
And its up to you if you want to keep a relationship with your adopted ones.

BLW_KAM
Rating
In many states (assuming you live in the US) and adult can be adopted by another adult. It isn't like being "unadopted", it's like being "re-adopted".

If there are other adults in your life that are like a real family to you, perhaps they would consider adopting you.

Adult adoption is similar to child adoption. You will no longer be a legal part of your current family, inheritance issues will change, your birth certificate will be changed again, and your last name could be changed if you wish.

You can read more about adult adoption in the link below.

♥ Nichole[never gives up]♥
Not that I am aware of. If you are unhappy with your family, just cut off contact. I know it sounds horrible but sometimes it is for the best. You cannot change the past but you can make sure you strive for happiness in the future.

EDWARD♥CULLEN
Rating
IF YOU ARE OLDER THEN 18, YOU ARE FREE ON YOUR OWN.

Sporty Babe
Rating
If you are 22, just get your own place and cut off all communication with your foster parents.

CONEHEAD
ya, i should think so. im adopted to, but into a wonderful family... im so sorry they're not the absolute best.

durdenslabs
You are 22. Just move out.

Once you are adopted, that's it. You are a member of that family unless something drastic happens when you are under the age of 18. You can legally change your name any time you wish.

Possum
Rating
No - sadly - adoption is a life sentence.

You could try to get another adult to adopt you.

Sorry.

cricketlady
Depends. You can certainly change your last name legally. Contact an attorney.

Julia B
I think your only recourse is to change your name and move. Once you are adopted, you are adopted. Sorry I can't be more help.

gymnasticsluver3322
Rating
you are the right age... so you should be able to move out but find your birth certificate first. I wish all my luck to you in moving out!

confusedd
Rating
well your family would have to adopt you back. (i think) also this is very personal question that you ask.....

o0lexie0o
Rating
i don't think so, cause they adopted you but im not 100% percent sure but u could stay away from them as much as u like

BackupCopy
Rating
"Reverse" adoption works legaly different in every state, try googling the question:
And, before you do anything seek professional counseling and advice..after all, you are legally an adult and it is your legal right to be close (or stay away) to your adoptive parents...remember, not all the family adopted you, just your "parents". As far as I know there is no law that says you have to stay in touch with them.

www.adoption.org/adopt/reverse-adoptio...
www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article...
www.worldlawdirect.com/forum/adoption-...
www.adopting.org/forums/showthread.php...

cookie
Rating
erm i dunno why dont you do some research into the legal/law whatever they call it thing. but probably not

Matthew
First you have to find one of your parents and have a birth certificate.

uDoNtKnOwMe
Rating
idk if thats possible, but it might just be

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090221104811AAjNRif

Blame it on.
you cant be given up for adoption or adopted after the age or 18.
riht now it sounds like you are your own family pretty much.

if they are so horrible then you will have to concentrate on making your closest friends as much of a family as you can untill you are ready for a family of your own :)

you have no obligations to your adoptive family if they act the way they do towards you or around you. you dont have to see them anymore... but i would take into consideration what they have done for you and everything they have had to put up with durring your years of growing up.

just be smart about whatever choice you make.

and goodluck :)

animefan
Of course. If you are at least 18 or older, you can be unadopted.

angel
yes i know what kind of thing your in an im sorry for that im trying to look it up and see for myself im only 15 and i want a new family

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are some mom's obsessed with "making" thier own kids instead of adoption?
I know that question sounds dumb, but I would love some input. I have 4 kids so please don't assume I am a hater cause I can't make no babies.. lol

I know more than a few ...

Another open adoption question: So why is it assumed that only AP's break off contact?
I have seen the assumption on here pretty consistently that PAP's lie, cheat, steal, and buy their babies and that open adoptions are completely founded in the idea of "fooling" the ...

Please can someone tell me were a teen can adopt?
im 16 years old and i really want a newborn. please tell me i can adopt....

I was going to adopt some hamsters but having problems, can I sue?
After the interview, the adoption agency said, and I quote "...The nature of my desire to own hamsters is questionable to say the least." They also said that I don't have sufficient ...

Why would someone be set dead against adoption?
Please read below before answering so you will know the reason in behind this being asked:

My co-worker who is in college (23 yrs) right now said that she wants two children of her own and ...

Why would an adoptee who has never searched say they KNOW they were "better off" adopted?
How do they know?

Nearly everything I was told about my family turned out to be false (agency lies) and my nfamily turned out 'better' in every way possible......

ADOPTION SHOWER???? ?
we are adopting 4 children and it will be final this month. i want to have a family and friends get together. the kids already know most of them, but i want to celebrate. i dont know what to do, i ...

Question for Adoptees Do You Feel Like a Commodity?
With all the money changing hands in the guise of 'expenses' (snort) don't you think this commodifies children?
Additional Details
This question is addressed to Adoptees ...

Does anyone else find Angelina's ads for her new movie ironic?
I am particularly offended by her impassioned plea from the ad where she says, "I want MY son back!!" since I lost a son to adoption. I just find this selection odd considering her history ...

What are you hoping to get from participating in the Adoption Forum here?
I am here because I am interested in the perspectives of first moms and other adoptees in my journey to understanding myself and my past a little better. I'm interested in Q and A about ...

How do you tell a child their first mother loved them, when you don't believe they do?
My daughter (3) was playing dollies today and she sometimes will play with 2 mommy dollies. Well she basically forced her little brother (2) to play (he doesn't mind as he's at a phase ...

Can a mature adopted daughter be taken out of a parents will? She has gone to prison for selling drugs and?
has always been rebellious. Adopted parents have helped her and been merciful time after time.

They have had to raise her two children from two different dads (not in the picture) ...

When adopting can you change the childs name?
My wife and I want to adopt our next baby and will start the classes and home study in the fall. We have been looking at our county website of children( because we are going to do foster to adopt we ...

APS-If you died would you give your adopted kid to their real parents or more of your relatives?
would you ever give your adopted kids back to their people if you and your significant other died or would you pass these kids on to other adoptive relitives of yours?...

Abortion vs. adoption...?
Okay, so I've read people saying adoption is the worse choice...why?
Abortion is killing the baby in the opinion of many. Nobody really benefits, just a life is lost.
Adoption, ...

Why is coercion by adoptees with bad childhoods accepted in here?
Some adoptees with bad childhoods try to convince possible adopters to do something they may not have wanted to do... like do guardianship instead or adopt abused children in foster care when they ...

The adoptees that are unhappy with life...?
would you have rather not known that you were adopted? or would it not have made a difference?
Additional Details
yes, i agree that they should be told too, but so many adoptees on here ...

Right To Privacy OR The Right to know?
Hi everyone!
I have a question and I would like your viewpoints if you feel lead.

I am beginning to embark once again on a Search for my First Mothers family!
Long Story Short:<...

My husband and just found out...?
that we are unable to have children. Do you think that we should try and adopt or learn to live a life with out children? We are both only children so this also leaves both of our parents with out ...

Can a mother adopt another child if she gave her first child up years ago?
If a mother gave up her parental rights over 11 years ago to her one and only child (who is now an adult), and wanted to adopt another child in the future, can she?
Additional Details
If ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links