Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

I want to get my child's father parental rights terminated. How??
Find answers to your legal question.

I want to get my child's father parental rights terminated. How??

I need to know which courts deal with this matter and where are they usually located. I know I must subpeona the court (which courts?) for involuntary rights termination, but where do one usually go?? How do I get this motion started so my daughter can be properly adopted at a later date?
Additional Details
To the nosy people that want more information: I am not doing anything out of spite. My child is 4 y/o I haven't received a copper penny. My boyfriend has been her father since she was 3months old. HE IS HER FATHER!!! I want to do it the legal way. Thats it....


My son is 5, and I am doing the same. You may change her name at anytime. To get rid of Dead Beat Dad(DBD), and terminate his rights, he must (1) agree. The other way is that if he is MIA, and you have been married for a year, your husband can adopt him.

No attorneys needed! Go to probate court, fill out a 1 page paper to change her name 111.00 total. If you are already ready for adoption, you can go to the adoption department in the same court house. The adoption and name change are the same price a total 111.00. They do try to find the father, has he paid child support, and has he been an active role in his childs life. That would only be if (DBD) showed up. If owes, I doubt he will.

Do not worry yourself with what some of these people say. You are the only parent that child has, and you are the best person to make a decision on her future happiness. These people do not sit up at night, and try to explain why her daddy is not here. They do no have to explain why she can not have the barbie she would like. You have to blame yourself because you can not blame a (DBD) to her just yet.

My son is happy to be getting the oppurtunity to have a "real" dad. Real is the kind that acts as he should. He said he wishes his bio dad would spend time with him, but he never did, and never will. Why should he not get the same chance as the kids that are left by both their parents(like me)!!!!

You need a lawyer.

You have to have some reason that would be harmful to the children and then you'd need to get a lawyer and go to court.

Every state is different, get on the phone and call the court house, attorneys that practice family law and do not charge for the first consultation.

i would contact your local social workers office, they might be able to help you.

Richard W
This is handled at the county level. keep in mind that you must prove that the father is a danger to your child, has no intrest in the child (this usually turns to voluntary very soon) or is otherwise incapable of caring for the child.

First off you need to call a lawyer. I would just look one up around your area and call and see if they deal with parental rights. After that then they will give you the advice on what to do and what court its through. But you cant do anything without an attorney. There also has to be a good reason to terminate the fathers rights. So you have to have proof that he isnt a good father, doing drugs, not helping, not taking care of your child, or not involved in any way. If he is gone and you dont even have contact with him or dont know where he is then they will give him 30 days to contact you and if he doesnt then his rights are automatically terminated!

First you would have to prove him unfit and trust me as easy as that sounds....it is not. Get a lawyer. Best of Luck! :)

well first, I would get a family attorny. they will know what you need to do and he/she will make the petitions to the court on your behalf.
I do know that is some states (and all of them are different so you will have to ask your attorney) that if a parent doens't have contact with the child, pay child support and such for 6 months, then you can file for termination of parental rights...other states, it is 12 months. it just really depends on the state and the laws in that state, cause no two states are the same.
Most attorneys will do a free consoltation with you so you can meet them and find out what to do...

go to your solicitors

go talk to dhs


you go to family court and file a petition....you have to have more cause then just no support etc...it really isn't an easy process....and the bio dad may fight you on this

ETA>>>everyone always says...go to a lawyer....you can file the paperwork yourself (same paperwork lawyer uses)you go to the court (family)tell them you want to file a petion to terminate the fathers rights and for your current spouse to adopt...you pay a small filing fee etc...they ask about the last known address of father...legally they must notify him of your request etc...you're given a court date...name the state and I can send you links...I've done this myself...if the man is going to fight you...then yes...look into a lawyer...if he pays no support...isn't active in her life etc...then you may not have a problem

You can't terminate rights to get your daughter adopted at a later date. It doesn't work that way. The only way to get an involuntary termination is if she's adopted NOW. The courts see it as a child's best interest to have two parents financially responsible for it's care (whether or not your ex pays, he's still legally responsible right now). So unless you've got someone willing to adopt and take that responsibility right now, then it's not going to happen, and petitioning the courts would only give you a headache and a waste of your time.

My suggestion is just to bide your time. I know it'd be more satisfying to cut off that tie, but it's not really hurting anything to have it there either. And the longer he goes without paying or seeing your child, the easier it's going to be to get those rights severed when the time comes. And look on the bright side. As long as you've got a child support decree that he's not paying, the arrears will go on his credit report as an unpaid debt. He's not getting off completely free, and eventually you'll be able to do what you like for your daughter.

at what later date? are u doing this just to get at the bio father? u need to think long and hard about what ur doing. try the family courts/depends where u live also

Talk to God!

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Adoption and how do you not treat the child differenty?
people may judge me here, but i use to think about adoption. I have 1 son and we are ttc and i was thinking how lovely it would to save a child life or just give them a better home, but i really ...

 I want to let my baby go for adoption?
Can any person help me out there for the adoption of my 16 montrhs old baby....

 What to do if your heart is set on Adoption but your husbands isnt?
My infant son, Austin passed away almost a year ago on November 22, 2006. I am absolutely horrified to have another baby in the house because of what my son dies of. SIDS. I really want more children ...

 Okay me and my husband just did are adoption profile but were wondering what are birthmoms looking for when
they chose the family .. were not the richest family but we do have a lot of love to offer a child and we have a very stable good country lovin home:)...

 If you support adoption, and you were NOT adopted...?
Do you resent that fact? Don't you wish you, too, would have been adopted?

Why or why not?
Additional Details
I'm sorry... I was confused about the purpose of this ...

 Has anyone on here searched for and met their real family? if so how did it go?
i am starting the process of searching for my real mum and wanted to find out about other peoples ...

 Would this be selfish? Why do people adopt from abroad?
A few days ago i saw a question on adoption which got me thinking. What reasons would a person adopt from oversea's, do you think it is maybe its due to the parents being harder to trace for the ...

 We are thinking of adopting. Is there a least expensive way.?
We lost our child a few months back, now for the first time I am really thinking with all that I have been thru we should adopt.

We cant affor $50,000 like most places we have seen. A...

 Adoptee's i wanna know your point of view?
I'm a birthmom and i will never know what it is like to be adopted. Some people on here really believe that first parents should be there parents not adopted ones in fact some have stated on ...

 Am I wrong for being infuriated?
My mother in law has decided to adopt the baby of a heroin addict cousin. The cousin has 3 kids, none living together, she doesn't want them and neither do the grandparents. Yes, I feel bad for ...

 I have an 11 year old son that we adopted at birth. He now wants to take on the religion of his birth family..
I understand his need to feel connected to his birthparents and in order to do that I can understand why he now feels the need to reject the religion he is being brought up in. I had thought of this ...

 Is it possible to put a child up for adoption at a later age?
this is just a hypothetical question but would the biological parents of a child be able to put their child up for adoption for certain reasons when the child is around 7 years old or even older?...

 Foster kids and money? Is this the problem?
Foster parents are paid a monthly amount of money ranging approximately from $300-$1000 per child. Additionally, they receive extra money for clothes and "some special things" when ...

 Adoptees, do you feel heard here?
I see many wonderful responses to adoptees, but I see many more that negate your experiences. Today (like any other day) I saw (yet another) response that said basically, "thanks for explaining ...

 Should I tell my friend what I really think about her plans to take her daughter's baby?
I have a friend that I have been close to since high school. She has a daughter who is 18 and pregnant.

Last night they came to visit and my friend told me that she had talked her ...

 Me and my husband have been raising his son, (my step-son) which I claim as my own since he was 1 1/2 yrs. old?
When we got him he was in foster care and that is how we found out that my husband was the father. Through a court ordered paternity test, not because the biological mother volunteered that ...

 Is parenting by biological parents "Tragic?" ?
This is in response to the other question that asked "How in the He** could we not see how awful and tragic adoption is" based on ...

 Have you adopted a child?
My wife wants to adopt a child and I'm okay with it for the most part but I am worried about one thing. We already have two kids that we had together and I am worried I will not love the adopted ...

 Has anyone?
Found their birth father aswell as bio mother?

We talk alot about bio mothers but not much about bio fathers.
What kind of relationship do you have?
Did you get more answers ...

 How have your life experiences affected your views on adoption?
Our stories speak louder than our idealogy. Do have examples of this in your lives of why you believe the way you do?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, February 14, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links