Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

If I adopt a child can the biological parents take them away?
Find answers to your legal question.

If I adopt a child can the biological parents take them away?

If i adopt a child can there parents take them back even if all the papers are set and they were signed everything was set. Do they have that kind of power to do that.

sprite_4fire
Assuming everything has been done legally and their parental rights have been terminated permnantly by a court of law or they willingly signed the rights to the baby away once the adoption is finalized they can't do anything.

However during the adoption process the might have a chance to petition the courts to maintain their parental rights, and might have a case if during the adoption process they are not given a chance or say if something illegal occurs for example somone forges their signature on the papers giving up rights to their children. But this is very rare, and situations like this would make the adoption null and void.

sarahhhhhhh
Rating
NO they cant. Infact, they loose all parental rights as soon as they adopt that child out and everything is sealed. If they want to be apart of the childs life, then they should have thaught about that before giving the child up. DONT WORRY. as soon as those papers are sealed etc, YOU become the childs parent, end of. Dont let yourself get stressed out about this, as what you are doing is a wonderful thing and despite of all the thumbs down I am going to get for this, I think your a wonderful person. You must know though, that later on in life, the child may express an interest in where they come from, and may want to go for a reunion with birth parents. Just make sure your open and honest with the child. Honesty is the best thing for the child. GOOD LUCK

Antonia
Rating
In some cases yes, they do. Its happened.

*~BanD LuvR~*
Rating
No, unless you have done something wrong to the child and they have proof that you did something wrong,then they can take the child away. But legally you are the parent of the child forever or until the child is 18.

lil_tommy_grl_devil
Rating
Absolutely not....Talking as a person who was adopted when I was 9 weeks old....If everything is signed and its legal, then they have no more rights whatsoever to the child.

faithful_nascar_fan
Rating
they only have a 30 day period to wave their rights unless they sign a form stating they do not any rights what so ever. That's what I did, iI signed in front of lawer stating that all I wanted was pics sent to me every 6 months.

Noah
Sadly this is why there are lawyers involved...to make sure all bases are covered. The important thing is to make sure the mother wants to give the kid up...and to make sure she wants you as the parents. Honestly become a foster parent first. A lot of kids end up in the system and just stay in group homes, you basically house them until it is decided what will happen to them...and if it is decided they can never go back to their parents usually the foster parent has the option to adopt. You might be afraid of getting a "screwed up kid" but these are the people who really need it the most, a stable loving home, being bounced around in the system as a child is the most traumatic thing that can happen to a child. My Aunt and Uncle did this and adopted and autistic child named Kevin and I don't think they could be happier...by fostering him they new what they were getting into and fell in love with him, and because of them he is doing mentally a million times better....they will say it is hard at times, but all they have to think about is what would have happened to him is he stayed in the system and it makes it all worth it.

cathy-chacha
Rating
no, once the parents have signed away the rights of the child they cannot have the child back.

Tiberiu B
I agree with Kristi

Cora Del Mar
Nope don't think so

CHERYL
NO,I FEEL IF YOU GIVE UP YOUR CHILD AND SOME SPECIAL PERSON OR PERSONS ARE GOING TO GIVE THAT CHILD A REAL GOOD HOME.

kimmer727
Rating
Yes

☆★ I ♥ CAMELS IN CHICAGO!! ★☆
Rating
if they fight in court for them

Madison
Rating
No

!!Just Peachy!!
Rating
It depends on what kind of adoption it is to be honest with you! My friend had an open adoption and her baby got taken from her when the parents decided that they wanted her back court granted rights to the biological parents! I also know someone who had a closed adoption that is where the parents who give up the child dont know who took them, and when you sign all of your papers it even says in there that the parents cannot come on you to get the child back because the adoption was closed and dont know who you are! I hope that this helps. If you need more information on this you can always go to an adoption clinic and talk to them before you were make a decision! Best of luck! And adoption is a beautiful thing! And just to let you know the friend that had her baby taken away did go to court and thought that the baby was hers forever but after 3 years the biological parents did get her back!

Kitten Toes
Not if everything is done legally and properly, and you ask for a "closed" adoption.

miiia.xo
there'd have to be more papers signed i guess ?

Bridget S
Rating
Adoption is forever, no going back.

Pratikshya M
Not unless you allow them to. Only your decision can take your baby away.

kritkratt87
not if they signed it away.... they can try to take it back, but the judge wont let them

you have to make sure both birth parents sign though, cause if the girl gives it away and the father doesnt know, then he could probly take it back.

it can also happen if they can prove that you havent taken care of the child properly

jessica;
Rating
Nno they can't.
When you adopt a child it becomes YOUR child.

Buut it also all depends on what the kid wants to do.
If she wants to go to her biological parents or stay with you.

angelharp7
Rating
There have been cases where adopted children were given back to the biological parent. In any case, the biological parent(s) could seriously disrupt the adopted child and adopting parents' lives.

The tendency in America today is for "open" adoptions where the biological parent(s) play a role in the child's life. Not all adopting parents want this, which is why so many families now choose international adoption.

LIVE LIKE A HIPPIE BUT WASH
only if they kid nap it could you please answer this

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkQ8QZVvJdFhD.it0v5Ny.3OxQt.;_ylv=3?qid=20080121113713AAloXVp

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Would u rather be adopted as a baby or left alone on a deserted island ?
for ur entire life?...

To aparents: is it insensitive to post a mother's "pregnant picture" on a child's time-line?
to qualify:

my daughter's preschool assignment was to make a "time-line" of her life. so most of the mothers (and i) included as the first picture, a photo of our ...

Would you ever NOT adopt a baby who is a few months old?
i was talking to a lady earlier this week who had adopted many children who weren't newborns. when they were waiting to adopt one of their son's the social worker asked them if they would ...

What would you do if your adopted child’s biological parents never intended to give their child away?
Have you read this article? http://www.findingdulcin
What are your thoughts on it and how would you ...

DO you search for your birth family because you don't APRECIATE YOUR ADOPTED FAMILY?
Do you think that this will make you better or a better person?

DO you think that this will make you less angry or bitter?

What "hole" exactly are you trying to fill?<...

Children having children?
Not so long ago and all through the course of history, when a girl began her menstrual cycle, she was considered a woman. She was expected to "grow up". Take on responsibilities. Have ...

Why do people insist?
On adopting from different countries? why not adopt from your own country?

I herd a girl on the bus just the other day saying "i would love to adopt a black baby, I just think they ...

How do birth mothers who have their child up for adoption feel that's its benefited them?
How do mothers feel after giving their child up for adoption and I only need the benefits that you feel about giving your child up for ...

How do you get through to family that doesn't remember to use the proper terminology?
Members of my family, though very receptive to our adopted child, keep using the "wrong" terminology. They call the birthmom the "mom", and us by our names (Instead of "Your ...

Why are there so many children up for adoption in China?

Why is the term *original parent* so offensive?
Months ago, I used the term *biological parent* because that is what our son's biological family calls themselves. I hate using any term to describe ANY of my son's parents, but here in Y!A...

Adoptees were you told you were Chosen and Special?
Did you believe it; or not?
Additional Details
ETA: I'm asking Adoptees what they were told, please pay ...

Do people who've adopted think Juno was a good representation of adoption?
I just watched this movie, and it was a good as people were saying! I thought Juno was so sweet and thoughtful, and it made me wish that there were adoptions like that in Australia, for all the ...

Adopt yes or No?????? Please help my friend!?
Okay so my frined had a kid about a year ago. She had a lot of complicationsand the doctor siad that if she has another kids it is a 98% chance of her dying. She REALLY wants another kid. Should she ...

What is your opinion on adoption? why?
I am doing this for a school project. If you answer it will be really helpful. T...

How can REAL mothers be friendly to ADOPTERS?
i'm not a ...

Question for adoptees....?
To the adoptees: I have a question. I have decided to give my child up for adoption and I was thinking about writing a letter to the child and putting the letter in the adoption file. That way ...

What's your opinion on older couples adopting?
I'm curious because I am a nanny for a 5 and 6 year old that were adopted from Russia. Their father is in his mid 50 and severly obese and their mother is in her late 40s and also obese.
<...

What are your feelings on showing anger towards an adoptee...?
What are your feelings on showing anger towards an adoptee because they were abused and wished not to suffer that abuse anymore?

What about showing anger towards them because they wished ...

What are some reasons that birthmothers put their baby up for adoption?
All answers will be respected..and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, July 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links