Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

If someone gives up parental rights are they still to pay child support? (Ohio)?
Find answers to your legal question.

If someone gives up parental rights are they still to pay child support? (Ohio)?

For a 17 year old

Greer
Rating
No, your not.

ladybmw1218
Rights and responsibilities are treated separately in most jurisdictions. In divorce custody situation rights simply mean visitations and a say so in major decisions. One can give up their rights to those things, but still be required to pay child support.

One can't simply choose to give up rights and get out of child support or millions would do it and there would be no such things as deadbeat parents.

The only way to get out of court ordered support in most cases is for the child to be adopted by someone else.

nicoleclark07
Rating
it is not true what josie said. it could be different in other states, but i know in arkansas, even if you give up parental rights, you still pay child support. the support only stops if the child is adopted. maybe by a step parent. but yes, they still pay child support.

i agree that its not fair, im just saying what the law is here. just like it isnt fair for a father to be paying child support every week for a child that chooses to have better things to do than visit. but thats how it goes. good luck

April B
NO NO NO

schneidmanbabe 09
Rating
well since they are 17 that might be an issue. but in most cases even though they give up parental rights they are still required to pay child support unless the child is adopted thru another couple. hope this helps

mamaac43
Rating
You need to read the parental rights waiver well. When my daughters mother gave up her parental rights it distintly said she was giving up any and all rights and the financial obligations would go to me and my husband at the time of her adoption. If you are the one thinking about giving up your parental rights keep in mind you will never get any of your rights back. Its a big step and a dollar isnt worth a child if you have any feelings for it.
Im not saying dont give up your rights Im just saying before you do think about it long and hard. Children arent toys you cant toss them away and go back and pick them up to play with when you see fit. The love you or someone else gives that child should be genuine and unconditional. If you dont think you can do that then by all means give up all your rights.

mom of many
people get confused by the wording termination of parental rights and custody of a child. You cannot just terminate yours or anyone elses rights. Only a judge can order that.

Doodlestuff
Rating
A parent can only give up parental rights with the permission of a court. They are still obligated for any child support up until that court date.

~K‚ô•Baby~
Nope you don't have to pay child support in the state of Ohio after you give up your parental duties. Now why someone would want to do that don't ask me.

Josie826
Rating
It doesn't matter what state you are in, if you give up your parental rights legally in court, you are no longer responsible for the child and you do not have to pay any child support, nor will you be allowed to have any contact with the child. If this is a ploy to get out of paying child support, you will have to convince a judge.

palmyrafan
Not in the state of Ohio. Once you give up your parental rights, you lose all your rights and relinquish the responsibility of paying child support.

Once you give up your parental rights, you also lose any right to the child, including any right to make decisions regarding said child.

(I gave up a child in Ohio 25 years ago)

Diane D
Rating
are they going to get to see that child ? i mean if they aren't going to get to see the child why pay that money !!! if you want you cake and eat it too then you have to be willing to let the father or mother see that child !!! but it don't happen that way its called GREEDY!!!!! if the other parent has to pay they should get the child but if they don't pay and give up those rights then they should not have to pay its only fair!!!!! oh and before anyone gets upset this isn't pointed to anyone pacifically!!!

Peace Yo
In my state dissolution of parental rights does not necessarily mean that a biological parent does not have to pay child support. If the legal parent receives social services the state (my state) will definitely make the other biological parent pay support even if parental rights were dissolved.

If parental rights are dissolved and a child is adopted then support will not have to be paid by the biological parent it will be the responsibility of the adoptive parent. I hope that makes sense. I know someone who thought they were getting out of paying child support by voluntarily relinquishing their parental rights and then they learned otherwise when the state sued them for support afterward.

Guidance
no, giving up one's parental rights means that he or she no longer has any rights 2 the child and that includes supporting the child financially.

bratnumber5
no they are not permitted to pay,,, if one gives up their rights as a parent,,, it's like they never had one to begin with,,, sad really,, pay the support,, and be a part of your childs life,, you wont regret it.

apple a
if some one give up in the hell should you pay parental rights. in that case you were not exict to your parent

Herbie
Rating
no, once the parental rights are signed off, or removed , the parents have no legal rights to their child, and this includes child support.

Still Me
No. When one's parental rights are surrendered or relinquished, then they are no longer responsible for that child, and therefore, are no longer required to pay child support. Child support in arrears (previously owed) is still owed, however.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Adoptees: Did you have a job or role to fill in your adoptive home?
Chef Jamie Oliver and his wife have 2 daughters. They feel the need for a boy.

Oliver says, "If I can't produce a boy I will have to adopt one."

That will be a ...

Should I report this adoptive parent to social services?
I don't want to make her life harder than it is but since most paps and aps on here are so against natural families needing assistance, im thinking whats good for the goose is good for the anti ...

Has anyone ever been "name called"?
because of being adopted? I got second hand kid once. I was only 6!...

Would it be best to give my baby up for adoption?
I am 16 and i have three weeks left in my pregnancy and from the beginning i have thought about adoption. I was 15 when it happened and he was 18. I thought about an in the family adoption. I have ...

Right or Wrong?
I know why i made my decision to give my daughter away, i was only 18 with no college education, waiting to start, no car, no stable income or anyone to help me besides friends (who can only do so ...

What is your read on the statement "Consider adoption, a loving alternative to parenting."?
I happened across a WEB site for an adoption agency that seemed reasonable until came across this statement on the information page for pregnant women considering adoption:

"Consider ...

What is worse.......................
What is worse keeping a child you don't want at all or giving it to parents who want them more than anything. I really don't have any problem with giving a baby up for adoption. My first ...

What's the best way to explain adoption to a child?
How do you explain to a child that he/she is adopted in a way that doesn't make it a negative thing? My feeling is that it's best to start as young as possible in a way that the child can ...

Why are Adults who were Adopted described as 'Adopted Children"?
in the media, society and sometimes to describe themselves?
Additional Details
ETA. It's blatantly obvious that they were adopted as children.

My question is why are ...

How do you go around giving your baby up for adoption? are there different types and how?

Additional Details
I'd rather it be adopted than to starve with me, thanks whoever just attacked me. so sorry i'd want my child to lead a better life than be selfish like u ...

With so many American orphanges filled with children with no homes, should international adoption be banned?
If so, why
If not, why ...

The term "real" mother?
Do you use the term "real" mother for the biological? I'm an adoptive mother and I feel real sad to be considered the "fake" mother. I mean, if somethings not real, it'...

Adoption question.plz answer?!?
i want to adopt.i want to adopt a newborn baby so i can take care of it all its life like a regular mom would do(and name it). i also want the baby girl to look like me too.is there a possibility ...

Do you think that those who sterotype?
foster or adopted children (or anyone who has to do with adoption for that matter) do it to make their lives more cushy and safer?

I believe people who stereotype are like school yard ...

Being honest to your adopted child.?
how do you think is the best way to tell your adopted child any of the following information without them feeling like total poo?
1.) His b-mom did drugs while pregnant
2.) She decided to ...

I'm thinking about adopting a child at 21.?
Can someone please help me on this one.

I'm thinking about adopting a girl now that i am 21.
I have not had a relastionship with anyone yet and i'm in no rush to either. i ...

Why would some adoptive parents do this to their kids......?
I have recently met a woman who was adopted because her parents could not have any biological children. A few years later out pops their biological son. After he was born they stopped washing their ...

Does 'The best interests of the child' mean whatever people want it to mean?

100 million orphaned children, why isn't prolife interested?

Additional Details
Throughout history few valued life of an orphan enough to adopt. Look around you, only a few have adopted anybody. Adopting more orphans is one way of showing women ...

Child adoption is it right or wrong what should some1 look for?
me and my wife have 3 boys and she is pregnent she wasnt a girl badly. but if its a boy i know she will be heartborken. as for me i will love any child. should i consider adpotion if its a boy would ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links