Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

If your a foster parent can you adopt the child your fostering?
Find answers to your legal question.

If your a foster parent can you adopt the child your fostering?

Warrior Mom
Almost always the foster family is given the opportunity to adopt the child IF, IF, IF, and IF the child becomes available for adoption. Keep in mind that the first goal of every child and family services agency is re-unification. It's the law. (in the US) They are required to do everything possible to help the parent(s) do whatever they need to do to be able to parent their child safely.
We did adopt two children through foster care, but we enjoyed a lot of foster children who went back to their families. There is no way, absolutely no way to know whether a foster child will ever be available for adoption. If you are prepared to love someone else's child, nurture them, give them what they need during a time when his/her parents are struggling to make changes in their lives, and then be happy for them when they are able to go back home, then you should consider being a foster parent.

opedial
Rating
If they are available for adoption. I do caution pepole, foster care is a job where you are filling in for parents while the parents are given a chance to get better, take classes, clean up whatever is needed.

When you think of your foster child AS your own child or your future adopted child, only pain and suffering can occur for you. When fostering any child, you have to know the state is the actual parent of that child legally. One can never assume they will get to adopt the child.

That said if the opporutnity comes up then you may be eligible, but until the opportunitiy comes up that child is someone else's child and you have a job to do!

tickled blue
Rating
While I agree with everyone else's answers...I just want to caution you....
If the child becomes available for adoption that does not mean that CPS will absolutely choose you/your family as the 'best' placement for the child. While you can submit to adopt the child, in the end it is up to the case workers to determine who will best meet the needs of the child.
Currently, our child is being fostered by--from all accounts--a great family. Our child has been with them for a year. For some reason, CPS thinks that the foster family is not the best permenant placement, and chose us instead. While we are thankful to have been chosen, it is not without huge reservations over the huge loss the foster family must be feeling. We were told by CPS that this happens in about 40% of the cases....as foster families are meant to be temporary, while permenant families must meet more requirements. I just wanted to let you know that foster's are not always the first chosen.

<3
yes, it will be easier though if you get into a foster-to-adopt program.

Let me say congrats on your being interested in adopting. There are TOO many unwanted children out there. I hope you take the plunge.

5littlemonkeys
Yes, once they are legaly free.

Cartier
Rating
Yes, look into foster-adopt programs.

Reppin Lockleaze
My auntie fosters this boy and she is going to adopt him some time soon

so i guess

kims
Rating
Have the parents rights been terminated already? If they haven't, I know our caseworker would be very upset about this. Their primary goal is reunification, so they think it's really important that foster parents don't get confused about that, or confuse the children.

The caseworker told us at the beginning that if they even suspected we wanted to be adoptive parents, they wouldn't place children with us unless they were tpr already and potential candidates for us to adopt. They were very, very suspicious, because they had a few lawsuits where foster parents were trying to keep children from going back to their parents. It caused all kinds of trouble and they removed the children from the foster home immediately. So I'd say, just find out about if they've terminated the parents rights before you ask further questions.

dptvegas
yes, after parents give their rights up or loose their children to the state then they can adopt

sweetbeesma
Rating
if they are up for adotion and they are an adoptive foster home

anne v
Rating
I have adopted 4 of my children that were foster children in our home....we are in Alberta Canada and not sure if it is different where you are...good luck!

Marie C
Rating
Sometimes. There are children in the foster care system who are not legally free for adoption. If the rights of their parents have been terminated, then yes, they can usually be adopted. Many people choose to adopt this way.

pepper
Rating
yes of course you can.
friend of ours adopted all three boys they were fostering.

the-famous-star
Rating
yes if the birth aprents relinquish their rights

April
Only if their parents rights have been severed and if you qualify to adopt them. Despite being a foste parent sometimes CW don't want to place kids if they aren't the only child, the youngest child, etc.

islandhobbler
Rating
yes, if the parents lose all rights to the child the foster parents the child is with has first rights to adopt. we had the chance with 1 child and 1 teen, the teen changed her mind the and child turned violent so they placed her into a group home

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Birth Mom search?
How can I search for my birthmom?
Are there any websites or will that not do?
Will I have to contact my adoption agency?
How does the whole "searching process" work?
H...

What are some logical and emotional reasons for overseas adoption?
I am giving a speech on the topic of overseas adoption. I support overseas adoption, but am just wondering of anyone has a good point or argument i could build on to help? T...

Question for adoptees??
Were you taken away from your family for abuse or do you know for a fact that your mom gave you up because she didn't want you? If so, do you know why she didn't want you or couldn't ...

Trying to find a relative given up for adoption?
I just recently found out that my grandma had given up a son around 1941. I found a website that my sister had posted info to in hopes of finding him but had no luck. Does anyone know of any websites ...

Are all adoption records sealed in the U.S.A?
What states have open records and what states don't? I was born in IL, and I tried to get my OBC, but I was told I had to get my b-mom's permisson. And if she was dead(and she is), i would ...

Adoption question...?
We have a question about adoption. My partner found her birth father, she knew who he was, but it took her 23 years to find him and get in contact with him. She was adopted by her stepfather when she ...

Does open adoptions go before a judge to be signed?Isn't that legal enough?
I thought it was , of course I was just 16 back then and didn't understand everything....

If in a past adoption that was open w/contact would you have to sign another consent form to release info?
We had been exchanging pics.,gifts,and letters through the old agency but now is new name and they say they cant do that.
Additional Details
All I know is letter said they didn't do ...

What should an adopted child's "original" family be called?
So, how should I refer to my sonís biological parents? I have heard so many things and a lot of pros and cons to each. Although today was a first for Tummy mommy!! ;) I have had others refer to them ...

Why is it when people talk about adopting an infant, people push to foster care which is so different?
If someone voices their desire to adopt an infant, many people automatically start in with "adopt from foster care" which is completely different nad doesn't address the original ...

'Tummy Mommy' Does the Term Make Anyone else Cringe?

Why does China not allocate more resources to their international adoption program?
The backlog is now well over 3 years and I've heard they've actually decreased the size of the department. There aren't any fewer potential adoptees so far as I know. I haven't ...

For those of you who feel that adoption is a miracle, how do you feel about this?
I am trying to understand those who say that God sanctions adoption because He/She wouldn't make a mistake of giving a child to the wrong parent.

http://edition.cnn.com/2...

For those adoptees who feel they've come out of a fog...?
What do you think changed your perception of adoption?

I do not mean to imply that any adoptee is in a fog. But since many adoptees do describe an experience like coming out of a fog, I&...

If a first mom wants child back after the revocation period is up and papers have been signed...?
would you consider returning the child. Just to clarify, I am not referring to an illegal or unethical adoption, but rather a mom who regrets her decision.

And if you do return the child, ...

Are there any AA/ Interracial couples adopting asian children?
I'm interested in adoption, and I was wondering if there were any AA or Interracial couples out there adopting Asian children. we are looking into domestic and international, but I want to know ...

Mom Wants to Adopt?
My mom's boyfriend has a daughter in El Salvador. Recently, he found out that his parents (the girl's grandparents) have been physically abusing her, like beating her and stuff. Anyway, the ...

As a PAP adopting through foster care, what are my rights...?
...as far as having contact with biological family of our children? If the caseworker decides that the bio family would not be safe for our kids, would I still have the choice to make contact with ...

Adoption....?
How old to you legally have to be to adopt? My fiance just turned 20 two days ago and I will be 20 next month. We have a little girl that is 1 yrs. old. We would like to have more kids of our own, ...

What are the steps that needs to be taken when adopting a child?
Is the process very rigorous? What are the disqualifying factors? Are the rules different in various States? Anyone from ND care to share? Thanks.
Additional Details
I am not trying ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links