Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Should adoption be covered by health insurance if fertility treatments are covered?
Find answers to your legal question.

Should adoption be covered by health insurance if fertility treatments are covered?

So I'm playing Devil's Advocate a little, but it seems logical to me. If your health insurance covers fertility treatments (mine doesn't though...), then given that adoption accomplishes the "same" goal (technicalities about where the DNA comes from accepted), then doesn't it make sense that the employer or the health insurance provider should also provide adoption benefits that match?

A friend of mine can get fertility treatments totaling tens of thousands of dollars, but he can't get $100 toward adopting. Me... I can't get either.

Any suggestions for convincing my employer of the logic here would also be appreciated.
Additional Details
Just a couple of quick additions...

Lots of employers provide adoption benefits. It's actually quite common, just not with mine.

And the adoption tax credit is about $10k, but adoption can cost three times that amount, so it doesn't come close to covering expenses.

Last, I'd argue that fertility treatments aren't really a health issue either. You won't *die* from infertility, and in fact, you won't suffer adverse health effects from infertility.

Daisha J
Our insurance covered a portion of our adoption when we adopted our son. It is a clause in the insurance called the "Adoption Indemnity Benefit" and it is in place ONLY if you are paying for maternity benefits. It is the insurances way to help out people who will not be using their maternity benefit that they are paying for.

E-mail me with any other questions...we have done this before and are pretty well versed in how it all works! Just call your insurance customer service number and ask if you have the adoption indemnity benefit and how it works with your plan!!

Good luck!

Angela R
Rating
Health insurance by definition can't cover a non-health related issue. If they did then people would think of lots of other non-health issues that they think should be covered too. That's why many employers offer adoption assistance. Yes, not all do, but many insurance plans do not cover fertility treatments either.

Also, although you won't die from infertility, most health concerns won't kill you either and don't *have* to be treated, like arthritis, or sinus problems.

StacieG
Rating
Interesting topic. Infertility involves medical treatment which is what medical insurance is for...adoption does not, although it achieves the same results.

There are adoption grants you can apply for to augment the tax credit. We adopted a sibling group from Colombia & all but about $500 was replaced by the tax credit because it's per child/adoption.

Now...there are ways to do a lower cost adoption. Some countries have lower costs. When we were investigating adoption, Haiti was one country that was under $10,000 in fees and out of pocket expenses (this was several years ago, it might have changed).

You can also adopt from the foster system. This is a virtually cost free way to complete an adoption. Most of your out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed by the state.

Some states offer adoption tax credits, too.

Now for getting your employer to look into adoption benefits -- GOOD FOR YOU! You can go to the Dave Thomas Foundation (Google it, although I think the url is http://www.davethomasfoundation.org...I could be wrong). They have on their website a page of suggestions and information to take to your employer when you suggest an adoption benefit. One thing to bring up to the employer is that a very small percentage of employees actually utilize the benefit, but it makes the company be seen as much more family friendly, which makes it easier to recruit and retain qualified people. When we looked at it, I think the adoption benefit was utilized by approx. 2% of the employees on average. Low cost benefit that is a huge blessing to employees who do utilize it and gives a good face for the company publicly.

SG

Angelic Valentine
Rating
With adoption, you will not be having a medical procedure done, hence it will not pay. Even if you convince your employer, you will not be able to convince the insurance company.

Bouvier
Fertility treatments are not always covered by insurance, it depends on "your" specific plan/coverage. With that said, NO, I don't think it should be covered, for the reason you stated in your question about it not being a medical issue/illness, but is a treatment. In any case, you can apply for a tax benefit, amount depends on your state.

If you are going through fertility treatments, some clinics offer surrogates, have you asked about that? That may be covered under the fertiity benefit of your plan.

ladybmw1218
Rating
Infertility means one of the bodies MAJOR systems isn't working correctly. Reproduction, metabolism, respiration, circulation, etc. Just because one won't die from infertility doesn't mean it isn't a health concern.

Doodlestuff
You won't die if you don't get stitches, but you get them anyway, right?

No, adoption should not be covered. The reason why infertility is partially covered is because something is broken. I think it is reasonable to attempt to fix or bypass the process. There is a lifetime limit on fertility coverage as well (I don't think anybody goes beyond 6 cycles) and insurance typically does not cover the drugs used. Eventually, costs accorded to new technology will come down in price. In fact, IVF has come down in cost so considerably that even the average person can afford it.

Life is not fair.

De
Insurance that covers infertility treatments is not common. Your friend is very lucky. The treatments cover the cost of the medical procedures, medications and Dr visits that the person must endure to get pregnant. How do you figure that is the same with adoption? The adoption cost is generally legal fees etc, not the cost of the birth mother giving birth. That is generally handled another way with Medicaid unless this is a private adoption. But my health insurance, pick up my son on my insurance as soon as I was in custody of him but before his adoption was final. I hear they do the same with some foster kids situation. I don't guess I can help you with logic for your employer. But I can tell you there is an income tax adoption credit that you file on your income taxes the next year after you adoption is final. I think it is up to 15,000 now

Herbie
They probably don't cover birth control either. An employers health bebefit package shouldn't have to concern itself with someones ability or inability to have children.
If an employer wants female employees around, they ought to offer birthcontrol in the benefit package.
Fertility issues are a couples own issues, NOT the companys. An employers should not have to dish out money so some lady can have 5 babies before term, and three have life long birth defects from the treatments. they'd just be setting themselves up for bankrupsy with that one family.
Fertility treatments should come out of that persons own pocket, not a cmpanys. There shouldn't be an adoption clause in an employers policy anyways. If you want a baby, then you can pay for it. The money they get back in taxes comes from the taxes that were paid at the adoption.
This is a ridiculious argument, so I quit.

Kelsey H
Rating
I know what you're saying, but health insurance doesn't cover it. It's covered by the adoption tax break instead.

Harley
Rating
Fertility treatments are *health* related. Adopting has nothing to do with your health or any part of your body. Hence, health insurance. Now, with that being said, I do think someone out there should be able to help back parents that want to adopt.

rshiffler2002
Rating
I think you are headed in the wrong direction for help in covering adoption costs. Trying to equate them with health insurance won't work. I don't know how many employers help with adoption costs but I haven't ever heard of one.

itchianna
Rating
I am an adoptive mother, but your consept makes no sense to me. First of all, most medical policies do not pay for fertility treatments. Second, at least this is a medical procedure. Adoption is costly, but people amazing amounts for automobiles they drive for five years. A child is forever.

Why do you want a friend to adopt you if you are old enough to be employeed with benefits?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Adoption Q's For Those Who Always Say "Put it up for adoption if you don't want it...just don't abort!"
I hear many who say that adoption is the way to go if a woman is faced with an unplanned pregnancy.....And adoption can be a good thing if done for the right reasons. But too many go on about it as ...

Can you give up your baby for adoption in another country?
Someone was asking me this and I did not know.

Say you give birth in a country that you are not living in and are not a citizen of, can you give your baby up for adoption in that country ...

How is adoption a controversial topic?

Is the suicide rate higher for adoptees? ?
I personally know 6 mothers whose lost children committed suicide. My own attempted it several times outright, and his lifestyle is a slower form of it. I want to know if anyone has any statistics ...

How to deal with a seven year old who has lost his mother and make him welcome and feel part of the family.?
First I had better tell you the background, sorry its kind of complicated :/ !

I have been married to my husband for six years now we have one five year old boy and a set of three year old ...

Thinking of a biracial adoption?
Hi. My husand and I are both white, caucasian, however you want to say it. Last nite a lady from our church told us about a woman who was pregnant with her 4th child, but didn't want to keep it ...

Help with adoption!?
I am not old enough yet, but in a few months i am planning on adopting an older child, about 7ish. I was adopted when i was just a little baby and i feel like God wants me to return the favor and ...

Should tax payers or natural mothers have "empathy" for the thousands of Aps....?
that are now losing their homes and trying to file for bankruptcy because they irresponsibly took out second mortgages and juggled cash advances from credit cards so they could get a baby?

What are the steps to find my birthmother?
Im adopted and im at the point in my life where I want to meet my real mom. I dont kno her name but I do no my aunt. how can I search for ...

Where would i leave a letter for my adopted step daughter on the net?
ive looked and better looked but most seem to be in usa need one in uk any suggestions?
Additional Details
she doesn't live with us she lives with her adoptive parents. i want ...

Have you read this? is adoption a commitment or a rental option?
http://ca.news.yahoo.com...

Even if the rights were terminated?
If the fathers rights were terminated through the father regestery do i still have a chance to overturn cause he didn't sign?...

Do you feel differently about your adopted child?
My soon to be husband cannot have children because of horrific childhood abuse and, while I love him very much, I'm having a hard time thinking about a life without having any of my own children....

Close adoption. i need some advice!?
i have a friend that gave up her baby 8years ago in a close adoption. now she wants to get in contact with the family to see how her daughter is doing. my question is being that it was a close ...

If you had 15 minutes to talk to an expectant mother questioning her ability to parent ...
What advice would you give her? - Parenting? Abortion? Adoption? Welfare? Help from family?
Additional Details
Possum - Love the expression that you used - "Adoption is a long ...

While attaining my degree in wildlife ecology, Professors expressed that adoption was a great option?
How do you feel about Professors and student teachers looking at the Earth's sustainiblity and human overpopulation problems, that adoption was a great option to overcome these issues?

Could i adopt my girlfriends children?
the father has them every two weeks and pays child support. he is not behind in child support and comes to pick them up every other weekend. other than that he is not around. i would like to legally ...

Adoption and The Birth Mother?
I have a five year plan and it ends in finally adopting a child. I have started my research on the topic since I will be doing it as a single parent because I am strong enough to do it on my own and ...

Can you choose the baby you adopt?
I was wondering when adopting if depending on where you adopt from if you can choose the baby you want...Instead of them just giving you a random baby that's available....

If you HAD to choose.... what would be a deal breaker?
If you had to choose parents for you baby or if you were helping someone choose, what would be a deal breaker?

This isn't a question of IF you would be in this situation, its a matter ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links