Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Wanting to adopt. Can someone help here? ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Wanting to adopt. Can someone help here? ?

We can't go to Children's Aid because we are in our 50's.Too old for this route. We are in excellent health, and both of us are in the social work field, and good people. We have no criminal background. Excellent references. We want to adopt a child.
Additional Details
A lot of answers are asking why we don't know where to adopt, and we are social workers. After 55 you can not adopt through children's aid-fact. Children over 16, children's aid do not want to deal with-fact. It does not take 'one' phone call to adopt a child-fact. One person mentioned that a friend of theirs just adopted a child from another country-and they were older. How old? 40? Would like more details, address, number to call. I am horrified by all the so called 'false knowledge' that is out there!

Possum
Rating
Why can't you just do long term foster care??
Why the need to own the child???
You want to care for a child - foster would be the way to go.
Otherwise - you're making it about you - and not the child.

aloha.girl59
Rating
Why not become "grandparents" to children who need positive influences in their lives? I'm sorry if this is harsh, but there is a reason Children's Aid doesn't allow people in their 50s to adopt. Rather than trying to circumvent the system, try to find other ways to love and help children who need it.

Just a Mom
If you are in the social work field, how do you not know about adoption? That was half of what my wife learned about to become a social worker.

And I know all sorts of older foster parents who have adopted. I just don't know if I am buying this.

mandita210
Rating
I know you want to adopt a child, but why not do something else to help children? There are thousands of ways you can adopt a child, rather than become an adoptive parent. Good Luck!

seekn2know
We just completed a kinship adoption of our 4 year old grandchild. We've had her since she was 1. The DFS were involved so we got involved that way to keep her in the family. I will be 54 this year & my husband is 57. We're in Missouri.

I don't know how hard it is to adopt a non related child but have seen through out our long process, that many children need parents and have no one and no relatives to do it. On adoption day we saw the adoption of interracial families so that was unique.

I was glad to see the courts give permanent families to these children. The adopting parents were not real young either. Some were closer to our age and some younger.

I would research your area and see how to go about it before much more time passes.

Being social workers I would think you could become licensed foster parents at least and maybe go from there. Some foster parents adopt the children.

Independ"ant"
Rating
At your age I would suggest being a "grandma/pa" figure for teens in foster care.

I know the empty nest thing is tough but young children shouldn't be used to fill the void.

ETA: Foster teenagers. I know a few grandparents that do this and find it quite rewarding because they know those kids are in need the most. You're kids will be having babies soon so you'll have your hands full with them as well.

Gaia Raain
Rating
It might be a good idea to consider how fair it would be to a child to have parents your age. Your child has a very good chance of losing his/her parents at a young age. Why would you want to do that to a child? Is your desire for a child more important than their feelings? If so, get a dog. If not, please explain why you would be a decent candidate for adoption at your age. I fail to see any wisdom behind your thought process.

sk8ermom
Rating
Yes there is a lot of people out there that think there are tons of children in the system that you just go and pick one off the internet. They don't know what its like in the real world.
I know that in many countries you can only be up to a certain age to adopt a newborn. Lets say China, the age is 50. At 55 you can adopt a 5 year old. Other countries have no upper age limit. I think Ukraine doesn't. Most countries will wave the age requirement for a special needs child. Sometimes even a small need that here in the US would barely be noticed or even corrected. You need to call an agency that has many programs to choose from. They will talk with you and find which options you have. This would be a free call and there are tons of places to choose from. I recommend Gladney for starters.
Good luck to you!

Corn is not dog food! No wheat!
Rating
You're in the social work field, but have no idea how to get a child?

How?

We looked into getting custody of a teenager (sorry, long story), and with 1 phone call we had all the info we needed.

1 phone call vs. an entire career in the field?

Something doesn't ring true?!?!?!

ETA:

I DIDN'T SAY IT TOOK 1 PHONE CALL TO ADOPT A CHILD!!!
I said it took 1 phone call to find out the information we needed to FOSTER a TEENAGER.
The teen had an alcholic mother and wanted to get out of that situation when mommy dearest brought home a new boyfriend with wandering hands.

BIG, big difference!!

Amanda
There are many agencies that will let you adopt in your 50's, however, most require that you cannot be more then 45 years older then your child, meaning that you will most likely be adopting a child 5 or older (however, this can sometimes be taken on a case to case basis, like if you're adopting a sibling group with some over 5 and some not, it may very well be okay). Are you looking to adopt domesticlly or internationally?

Indian-vision
Why don't you look at fostering at your age. You are old enough to be grandparents. Too old to handle toddlers for sure.

Also why wait so long to adopt vis a vis adopting 20 years ago ?

Seriously you ought to look at fostering an older child.

CrAzY_GuRl
Rating
Well if you are willing to spend a lot of money then i can help!
If you want a girl you could go to China(A couple of my friends adopted from their and they are so happy now!)

Another place that I heard of that is really great to get kids from is Russia.
Good Luck!!!

Stef S
Otherwise look into a surrogate mother.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

For people who believe that adoption records should reamin sealed?
If you were building a house, wouldn't you want to make sure that the foundation was secure? That is was up-to-code, and that the house that was to be built upon your foundation was strong ...

How can my husband adopt my children?
I was married for 9 years and I fianally got the nerve to divorce my abusive physically & mentally husband. We have 2 children together which he does not contact or support. I'm now ...

Why are so many special needs kids up for adoption?
My local ABC News affiliate has a special segment every Wednesday called "Wednedays Child" and a lot of the kids they spotlight are special needs. Are their parents simply abandonding them ...

Can she give her baby for adoption or to a family member?
My Granddaughter is pregnant for the third time. She has borderline personality and says she can not keep the baby because of her problems.

She just separated from the baby's father ...

How can found birth mothers help make reunions successful?
My son whom I placed for adoption 22 years ago found me recently, and I'm absolutely over the moon about it, as is his biological sister. However, nearly every adoption board, blog, message ...

A question about being a foster parent?
my parent are think about being foster parents but only live in a 3 bdroom house and have 2 boys in one room and 1 girl in one room with two other girls that stay there on school breaks and weekends ...

Do you think all adoptions should be open by law?

Adoptees...did you miss looking like someone in the family?
I've seen many comments about international or interracial adoption - things about the culture & language being different, etc. All valid points. And it got me wondering how many adoptees ...

TO TELL OR NOT TO TELL?
My sister is pregnant again with baby number 8. They range from the age of 20 down to due in feb. 2008. Out of all of these wonderful kids she has none of them. She has decided to give him up for ...

Is it really a good idea for people to talk some one into keeping a baby when they want adoption???
Okay so I know a lot of people try to talk ladies into keeping their babies when they feel that adoption is best because they aren't ready. Also a lot of young ladies parents force them into ...

Everyone looks like Michael Jackson, It's weird, what should I do?
anytime I see anyone, that picture of Michael Jackson in the spoof home alone picture replaces their face, its been really hard, and I'm afraid of going outside, for the past few days even my ...

Madonna,s failed bid to adopt another child?
what is your opinion?...

When is adoption "right"?

Additional Details
I know this is a pretty vague question......

If you are adopting, or were adopted..?
When would you tell your baby that he or she was adopted, or when did your adopted parents tell you? Did you ever use it against them as in "You're not my REAL mother!"

We ...

Can you adopt if your not wealthy by any means, but can provide a good hom with lots of love?

We are adopting a 6 yr old child and we want to make a family album for him to learn about his new family?
I want him to see pictures and I want him to know all about my his new family. is there a website that i can refer to for help on making this. I have ideas but I am not how to set this all up. Does ...

What do birth moms look for in adoptive parents?
I was just wondering what birth moms look for in adoptive parents that are wishing to place their baby for adoption? I need answers to questions that I have no idea on.. Thank you.....

I wanna breastfeed my adoptive child but...?
I want to adopt a baby but I want to do breastfeeding, how could I breastfeed an adoptive child if i didnt give birth, will h/she latch on?...

Why do non-adoptees feel the need to answer.......?
Why do non-adoptees feel the need to answer questions that are directed to adoptees only?...

Can we Adopt a child if my husband had a criminal record?
He got in a fight with someone it was self defense but there is no self defense law where I live in the US. He has a few minor charges too that were thrown in because they like to charge you with as ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links