Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

What do I have to go through in the adoption process?
Find answers to your legal question.

What do I have to go through in the adoption process?

If im thinking about adopting a child, what do i have to do or go through before the child is completely mine?
Please give a step be step and/or give details thanx!!!

sunny
Rating
To be "completely mine"?

You'd better give birth, because that's the ONLY way a child is completely yours.

All adopted children have another, original family. All the money and laws in the world can't erase that reality.

Dan B.
Rating
you should do your own reasearch, then you would know that the kid you want wont ever really be yuors.
kids are their own people, no one belongs to someone else, esp. adopted kids.

Philippa
A child is a human being not a possession therefore will never be completely yours as they will always have two families - yours and they natural family.

Research your options first before you decide which direction you go in.

Try reading:
The Primal Wound - Nancy Verrier
Coming Home to Self - Nancy Verrier
The Girls Who Went Away - Ann Fessler

farm mom of 10
Rating
Here are the steps you go through to do a foster adoption. That's the only kind I know:

www.associatedcontent.com/article/9495...

BLW_KAM
Rating
Here's an overview of the process:

Educate yourself and your family members.
Decide what type of adoption you want pursue.
Investigate ways to handle adoption expenses.
Select an adoption agency/facilitator and/or attorney.
Complete an agency application form.
Begin the homestudy process.
Attend pre-adoption and parenting classes.
Be matched with or locate a child.
Prepare for your child's arrival.
File a petition to adopt.
Finalize the adoption.
Post-adoption services and education.

By "completely mine" do you mean legally a member of your family? Because no child will ever belong completely to its parents, adoptive or otherwise.

sizesmith
I think instead of completely mine, you were meaning legally yours.

Education is the number one thing, so that way, you're prepared for what will happen in the future.

First, there are several types of adoptions. There is private, where you know the mother and go through an attorney. There is foster-to-adopt, where you go through your local offices and they pay for courses, home study, etc, and there are agency adoptions where you pay the agency for the processes such as home study, finding a child to adopt, etc. There's also international adoption, but I'm not going to go there, and don't agree with it in some cases.

Finding a child to adopt is the hardest part for most of us. You MUST have a home study on 99% of adoption in the US (I think there's a few exceptions, such as family adoption). The home study must be kept updated annually, until you adopt.

In many cases, both through the state, and for many agencies, you'll have to attend parenting courses designed for adoption. During the time of taking the courses, there is much paperwork to be done, usually provided by the social worker doing your home study. There are things like criminal background checks, reference letters and much more to be done. If you're doing private adoption, there are workers who do homestudies that often "moonlight" from health departments and mental health clinics in your local area. Our home study worker normaly works in a juvenille therapy place.

Once you are matched, through private adoption, the 1st parents sign the consent forms, which your attorney will file in court, and within a short period of time, there will be a court hearing which basically gives you legal rights to sign for medical treatments, and other parental duties. It's different through the state, because chances are, you'll foster to adopt, where the child lives with you for a while during the time of which the parental rights are terminated, and the steps taken for the state to legally give you adoption rights, and then again, you'll go to court for the pre-adoptive hearing.

There is a waiting time between the pre-adoptive hearing, and your final adoption decree. Ours was 6 months. Other states are 3 months, and through the state it can take MUCH longer.

In a perfect world, children would only be born to those who love them, when the time is right, and to everyone who wants them. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world, and there are children who are not wanted, others who are placed for financial reasons, and yet others who are abused and neglected. The adoption process is long, requires patience, love, understanding, and most of all, the realization that there are losses in the child's life. We must all work to make the process better on the first parents, because we must acknowledge how they got to a point of placing, or having their children taken away, and remember, that without them, we adoptive parents would never be parents.

durdenslabs
Rating
Ignore the pissy peoples answers. They've got their own "anti adoption" issues to deal with.

Contact your local social services or child welfare agency.

Go to an adoption orientation.

Start attending MAPP meetings

Gather together all the paperwork your caseworker tells you you'll need (drivers license, social security card, vehicle registration, title, proof of residency, marriage/divorce papers, paycheck stubs, etc).

You'll have a homestudy. Caseworkers will come to your home and make sure it's safe for a child (fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, escape plan, sharp/dangerous objects put away, etc).

You'll get a physical, TB test, background check and be fingerprinted.

Once you've been approved and are certified you simply wait for a child to be placed with you. It could take a few days to 6 months if you go through foster care.

Virtually free going through the foster system as well.

After 6 months of having the child live with you, you'll be allowed to officially adopt him/her. Names will change, new birth certs and social security # issued, adoption papers signed - done!

AMR
If you are interested in adoption, the first thing you’ll want to do is contact an adoption agency or adoption lawyer to help you in the process. In some states you need both an adoption agency and lawyer to get the process completed. You’ll want to ask about the specific laws in your state. Because adoption is actually a legal process, most people cannot navigate the adoption waters on their own. Having a qualified individual helping you along the way will be a tremendous comfort. If you do go with an adoption agency, be sure of their practices and always protect yourself first and foremost. Many people fail to sign a contract and get things in writing, only to end up losing money and find themselves with less money and still no child. Never, ever give an agency or individual money without doing a background check, contacting the better business bureau and checking their references. It may be tempting to give someone money to help put a child you’re your arms, but you should always check out the agencies track record before you put any trust in them.

Frank G
Rating
If im thinking about adopting a child, what do i have to do or go through before the child is completely mine?
Please give a step be step and/or give details thanx!!!

Lisa
Rating
These people are very cold. A child that you take care of completely on your own, and you love completely, will be completely yours, after you work out the legalities of it all. Look for an adoption attorney in your area. The Department of Social Services in your state can help you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Custody Battle/adoption?
Hey okay..im about to be 18 and my Nephew is with C.P.S and i want to get custody of him before anyone else tries to..how can i make my chances of winning stronger?...

Concerns/Issues with adopting a child aged 3 or 4 against adopting a baby?
What problems do you think could occur and how would they be over come?...

Help with NY Birth Certificate Codes?
Can someone help me identify what the numbers on a birth certificate mean

It says state file number 131-74-045734, I know that one batch means city etc but can anyone help me find out ...

Adopting African Children?
My partner and I have been wanting to adopt 1 or 2 children from Africa for quite some time. What is the first step we should take into the adoption process?...

Getting rid of pre-birth matching?
So many people think that pre-birth matching is wrong and coersive (me included). What I am wondering is what could a woman who decides to relinquish but has not matched pre-birth realistically do ...

Is it illegal to contact a child you gave up for adoption before she is 18....she is 17 1/2?

The positives of pre birth matching?
Anyone?...

Question for foster children or parents?
What are some must reads specifically for foster kids and foster parents?
Additional Details
I've read Dave Pelzer AND Richard Pelzer's ...

When is placing a baby up for adoption the right choice?
What makes giving up your baby the right thing for the baby? How can a mother do it if the father of the baby is unwilling but is also an unfit parent? For me it seems unfair for me to have the baby ...

How do I go about Adopting a baby in South Africa?
I am a 26 year old Female that would like to adopt or do foster care.
Can anybody give me information on how to go about it?...

The cost of adopting?
When paying for adoption fees, do you pay all at once or just whenever something comes up? We are going thru child services in our state (SC) and curious of what to look forward to.....they wont tell ...

What does "financially stable" actually mean in the foster/adoption world?
How do you prove/disprove it? Are there actual income requirements? We're in Arizona and would like to foster parent, and eventually adopt internationally (no preference yet). Just curious ...

"bitterness about the issue of adoption"- is it specific to this country?
I am Indian by origin and before coming to this column I thought adoption was a reason for much happiness. I have two cousins who are adopted and they LOVE their parents and vice versa, also recently ...

Are there any magazines, newsletters or publications out there STRICTLY for adoptees?
I notice that people are mentioning that there are magazines specifically for adoptive parents, I was just wondering if there are magazines or anything out there that is strictly about and for ...

Poll: About adoption....?
If the world wasn't ran by money and their was no way of profitting from the adoption process would there be as many kids that are put up for adoption or so many agencies?

If some how ...

I need help locating my mom's siblings?
My mom was adopted forty years ago after the state took her and her two siblings away from her mother because they were being so badly abused. My mom was told by some of her blood relatives that her ...

What is the legal age for adoption in Ireland?

Additional Details
I MEAN: What is the oldest age you can be?...

Why do people want to adopt other people's babies?
I can understand that some people are unable to bear children of their own. But if the situation was reversed and they could have kids I bet they wouldn't be putting their children up for ...

Doing a paper on adoption vs. abortion?
any facts about eather adoption or abortion would help sooooo much! :)...

APs: Were you told your child had a special need and was placed on medication, only to discover...?
that they do not have a special need or at least not one that requires drugs?"

When we adopted our son from foster care, he was just under 2 years old and on about 4 different drugs. H...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links