Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

What makes kids qualified to be taken away from their parents?
Find answers to your legal question.

What makes kids qualified to be taken away from their parents?

My siblings and I eventually got to live back with our mother (actually one was already 18 by the time she got custody again so it didn't matter for him), but my mother always used to blame neighbors and her other son for calling up on her and reporting. I don't see how one phone call to the department of social services could get us all taken away. Don't they have to investigate?

Well, yea, she finally got us back after years with a lawyer and stuff. The 'case' didn't close for another seven years though when we lived with her, so we had to go to therapy and all that crap. They had to ask our school how we do there, and come for visits to the home every week. Why do they do that?

Randy B
Rating
Although I'm sure most will say I'm nit picking, nothing makes kids qualified to be taken away. Its what makes the parents allegedly unqualified to care for them that results in them being taken away.

Once social services are involved however they can do only so much. Even if they did feel that they had reason to remove you from the home it still takes a court order to make that permanent. As far as I have ever seen there is always a degree of judicial oversight so if it went on for that long I'm inclined to believe that there is more to the story then you know or that your mother will admit. For sure investigations were done although that doesn't mean that your mother was aware of it at the time. She certainly would have been made aware of it during the subsequent legal phase.

Looney Tunes
Rating
When social services gets a phone call, it is actually triaged based on "level of severity." For example, some cases are investigated with 2 hours and some are investigated within 72 hours.That being said, an investigation is always done before a child is removed from the home. The workers talk to everyone in the child's life, so the phone call may initiate the investigation, but a phone call does not make children necessarily get taken away (unless the initial phone call reports a severely injured child).

This chart shows how it all works....
http://www.kidsarewaiting.org/tools/downloads/files/0001.pdf

Many reasons exist why kids are taken from their bio-parents:
abuse, neglect, parental drug abuse, abandonment, parents leaving children alone, parents mental illness, are usually the MAIN reasons cited. But sometimes if your parents are not supplying enough food or adequate shelter or clothing, or if they are not seeing that you goto school, children might be removed.

The reason the workers continued in your life was because your case was not closed. IN your situation, you were probably returned to your bio-mother under the understanding that she would continue to do what the Courts told her to improve. The caseworkers were making sure (a) that she was doing what she was supposed to be doing and (b) that you and your siblings were ok.

FlutterMeBy
I know in my area, if someone calls and "reports" about someone mistreating or neglecting their children, the social services do have to come out and do an investigation. If the children are being mistreated in any way, then they can legally take the children from the home and place them in children shelters/ foster homes until the problem is resolved or the parents are deemed unfit .

Sometimes it does take more then one phone call to get a family investigated. Some neighbors do do it out of spite but in most cases it is usually out of concern for the children.

Even if you get to go home with your mother, and the case isn't closed but you still live with her, then they can come in for home visits and check up on your progress on school to make sure your homelife and school life is going fine. If they suspect anything during this time, they can take the children away again until court decides where to place the children again. I know this because I've been through the foster care system. I've experienced this as well. My sister and I were living with our mom, in what the call a trial period, to see how well she can care for us and etc. After they determine that the mother/parents do a good job then they close the case for good. That can take years. One time it took 6 months for them to permanently close our case, the other time it took a year and a half.

mom to be
Rating
They probably did do an investigation. It may just take one phone call. Your mother did not have to be told who they talked to, could have been family, friends, neighbors, and teachers. They are still checking on your family to make sure everything is ok. As long as nothing is going on you have little to worry about.

Tilden J.
Rating
I had to call Social Services on my own daughter. She was smoking meth, and she was neglecting my grandchildren. I kept them as much as I could, but they were her meal ticket and she kept taking them back. It took a long time before they took them away from her, probably 6 months. You are right, they have to investigate, and it takes an act of Congress, to take someones rights as a parent away. I am happy to say, my Daughter has been drug free for 4 years, and she has turned out to be a wonderful Mother.

Mom to Foster Children
Well, I can tell you that I have had three children in my home over the last two years and one we ended up adopting him.

He was taken away because of Meth abuse
our smallest one (who goes back home next week) was taken because of past history with the mother / meth use / alcohol use
another we sent home was taken because of abusive behavior by the mothers boyfriend and pot use.

Children can be taken away for many reasons. Investigations are done and should be conclusive before the children are removed in any case.

Case workers come around to check on "their" kids to make sure that the parents are still following their case plan - that no new issues have come up - that the parents are getting the help / resources that they need to raise their children.

For what it's worth to you - I am glad that your mom got you kids back. She must have worked really hard.

XxPLASTiiCxX
Rating
one thing social services BEND the rules so much, and none of them are your friends NEVER believe they are!

by right they should come around first but in many cases they don't care or don't even bother doing anything at all (e.g baby p)

one phone call wouldn't of got you taken away that would of been a home visit,many people would of had to of rang numerous times,

i know it might be hard to take it but your mum could of been doing something that your neighbors or other son didn't see right, it shouldn't of been just to spite her, but thats in the past so just try keep your head up.

&& about the social services coming to visit it is just to make sure you are all coping fine, as you are all going threw quite alot of stress,but just remb if you ever feel stressed and wanan go out ring your social worker (they do it for free), and they have to ask how your school work is doing as if you were failing it MIGHT be because your stressed or under pressure at home

hope i have helped you :)

Sam S
its because to the social services they can "see" that your in a bad environment but not all cases are about that.god forbid you could have been abused then they can take away your kids in a heartbeat.

Siver C
I think something must have been wrong in the home. Your mom may just be embarrassed to tell you.

vanillafudge02
dss has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the childs health is at risk. there are also several other factors such as livign conditons, if proper food and clothes are avail , abuse the list goes on. the parent may also temporailry sign the child or children over to the state until they get their affiars at home in order

Jane S
They do BAD things. Like murder people. And commit rape.

Rawr.

Kay
I live in the state of Kentucky and I had a niece who had 4 children taken from her and not once did the state investigate or bother to ask family members to take in her kids which is what they are suppose to do. the first child she had was 4 months old when taken the mother didn't even get the chance to be a mother to her and this baby linger in foster care for 4 years. I even tried to adopt her my husband and I did what we were suppose to do and we waited to hear from the worker to make a long story short when my nieces 3 boys were taken the new worker on the boys case told my brother and grandfather to these boys that I was approve to get the the first child and the worker on that case hadnt finished her job and by then the little girl was almost 6 years old or older and what a nightmare it would have been to yank that child out of her home to a new home I was not going to make her go through that. The way this child was taken from her mother was criminal in my eyes. As for the boys don't know what happened there just know the workers dont investigate and see If family members would take in the children because these boys did have family that would have taken them in. As for the first child she is 13 and found me and her mother on facebook and from the way she talks she was better off staying home and how is she able to find us If her records are suppose to be sealed till shes 18? I did research when she was taken back then workers were given a bonus for how ever many kids they could get adopted? When the states that just get the urge to just want to up and yank the kids from the parents need to remember its not just the parents or the kids that suffer the whole family suffers... Laws need to be change or new rules need to be made when kids are taken from parents there should always be eyes watching the new parents at all times as well. plus If its an option I think there should an open adoption where the real parents can see that child is well taken care of and or participate in the childs life If they choose to do so. In the State of Kentucky they take kids away because they feel like it and because they can and not one social worker is your friend always remember that.

lifeishard
i dont understand social servises. people say they only take kids if something bad happens and they investigate. well i have had a child taken off me at the age of 1 year old and i was only 16 i lived on my own in a place where i had nobody no family or friends and as i started to beilve i made friends soical servies became involved and so on and then one day they just came round with poilce and said they are taking him away since then he had to be adopted i dont think thats right as i didnt do anything wrong i dont take drugs i dont drink and i proved him everything love and all that. then i went on to be pregnant agen at 19 and they said ok you can have the kid but will just cheak up on you everyday so yeah that was fine then the day i gave birth they came to the hospital and said we are taking him sorry and that was it but this time i have my mum to have him so i dont agree with social they lie out there backsides and pretend they care but they dont at all

Mel
Lifeishard I agree with you. I have been trying to get my step son taken from his mom because at the age of 9 he was being home by himself all day long with no one there that was from the time she went to work to the time she got home they told her she has to come home at noon for one hour. She was home for 15 minutes and went back to work and they did nothing. Now we are dealing with her letting him baby sit a 6 year old he is 11 and he doesn't know his phone number, what do to if there is a fire or if his brother is choking, he doesn't know his address. Really and social services hasn't taken him away and put him in our home where he knows the address, knows our phone numbers, knows what to do if there is a fire and is NEVER left home alone at all as someone is ALWAYS home. We haven't heard yet from this last time we called but if something isn't done I'm going to be very mad and will be the one to call up there and find out why.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why is my mom being like this?
When I was a baby my biological mom put me with her second cousin who later lost custody of me and I was placed in foster care. When I was 5 I was adopted by my adoptive parents. They raised me and I ...

For those birth mothers whom were tricked into...?
signing adoption papers, how do you cope with your pain? What would you say to the adoptee parents if you saw them today? Thank you.
Additional Details
oldF ashi..Picture this: Your 33 ...

I want my mom and dad to foster a kid for my little brother?
I have a little brother he is 3

i'm 14 my sis is 16 and my brother is 22
i know, a wide age range, anyway
I really want them to foster a kid
because my brother is so ...

I am a 42 year old single female. Just moved to Ohio and want to adopt an 8-14 yr old girl.?
I am divorced female who cannot have children on her own. I am now at a point in my life where I can give alot to a child. I would like to have a girl anywhere from 8-14 years old. Do I qualify as ...

What are Aps looking for when they chose children just by looking at pictures?
I realize this isn't the case or wasn't the opportunity? for many but I'm curious as to what was going through the minds of those that went through adoption this way.
What was it ...

What do you do when the nparents don't live up to an open adoption?
I have a friend who has a daughter she adopted in what was supposed to be a 2 way open adoption situation. The nparents wanted visits, pictures, letters. She's been upset in the past because ...

If the DNA test shows he's the father, can a man with a recent record of family abuse get to take him home?
I'm a foster mom and the mom terminated her rights, but the court summonsed a possible 'father' to take a DNA test and he says if the baby is his, he wants to raise him. We ...

My fiance is taking his 2 nieces in what can we do?
to make their transition easy on them?
should we send the girls to counselling as their father was killed last summer and now they are coming from a crack addict mom who let welfare take the ...

Can I please ask?
Why on earth my "what a sad day" question was removed?

Did I actually offend anyone or are the trolls out in force?...

Adoptees... what would hurt the least and most.....why?
lets say your about 13 and have just stared asking questions about your b-mom's reason for placing you. What reason do you think would be the LEAST and MOST painful to hear?
And why?
<...

Who in the adoption world is most "neglectful" towards children? Parents, society, etc...? ?
Neglect: to fail to carry out or ...

How can I adopt when I am faced with restrictions?
I know all the basic facts about adoption, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about how I can adopt if my husband has a felony from 10 years ago. He was 17 but charged as an adult, it has ...

How many ppl adopt kids?
I will be getting married soon and one thing I have always wanted to do is adopt some kids. Is there a lot of kids that are adopted? what is your opinion?...

Is there really a demand for babies to adopt in America?
I honestly don't know, as all of my friends and family have been very fertile on their own and haven't been interested in adoption. But, I know they always recommend giving the baby up for ...

Is it harder to adopt a teenager than it is a baby?
because, i think that most kids shouldn't have to go through a foster care all their life, ya know?? so would it be harder to adopt an older kid, or harder to adopt a baby (im also speaking ...

For people who think ADOPTION is a BAD thing..?
Can you explain why and your reasoning of that opinion, and dont give me links of "research" because I want to know why YOU think its such a bad thing. YES I agree that its sad people buy ...

Mothers of "birth mothers" - how did you find peace in your daughter giving your grandchild up for adoption?
I am 20 years old, single, and 21 weeks into my first pregnancy. I believe I have found hope in knowing that my baby will allow not just myself or the deserving couple I choose, but many more people ...

Adoptive parents- how does it make you feel when your child wants to look for their real parents and?
have a relationship with them? i am a birth mother to be, and thinking that my baby boy might want to reconcile with me eventually makes me feel better but i feel bad for his parents because that ...

Where is the line when talking about adoption?
I need some guidance. Where is the line about when to talk and when to wait?

She's always known about her adoption. She knows her natural mom and her siblings. She knows about the ...

My birth mother is avoiding me!?
I am truly gutted, i wait almost 46 years to find my birth mother i write her a letter and then 6 weeks later on christmas day she finally contacts me. I was ecstatic!
She tells me i will never ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links