Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Embassies & Consulates

Born of Cypriot parents in the UK, can I live in Cyprus?
Find answers to your legal question.

Born of Cypriot parents in the UK, can I live in Cyprus?

I'm of Cypriot origin although I was born the UK. I've been told that I cant live in Cyprus unless I do military service. Could someone shed some light on this subject? How long? etc. etc. Thx.

Hoplite
Rating
Come to Cyprus and do your time like a man.

Half Cyprus is under turkish occupation. We have to defend our land from the enemy.

Don't worry, you will not do more than 6 months, maybe less. For more information contact the National Guard.

http://www.army.gov.cy/index.php?id=76

‚ô™‚ô™ vivet ‚ô™‚ô™
Rating
If your father is Cypriot, if you have Cy passport and ID - you will have to go to the army for max of 6 months.
If both above are 'yes' - but you were not baptized orthodox you are not going to the army.
As you want to live in Cyprus, it is your personal obligation to do military service for your country and your people: Cypriots are proud to have their son in the army !

TOMMY B
Cyprus is now in the common market you can go and live there as your status it may be wise to get in touch with the Embassy I know my Brother in law was liable when he went on holidays 10 years ago ,as his dad was born their but things may have change now but going to live there would be a different story make sure before you go

wacky
Yes ! you can live in Cyprus but you then give up your rights as a British citizen and must do Military Service unless you can prove you are not in good health ! A similar situation is that of any one born in the British Isles of American parentage they must do Military Service in U.S.A. Best contact the Cypriot Embassy for does and don'ts I believe it is 3 years,

mamour
Rating
Cyprus has compulsory military service for all Greek Cypriot men between the ages of eighteen and fifty. Military service lasts for twenty-five months. After that, ex-soldiers are considered reservists and participate in military exercises for a few days every year. Conscientious objectors can either do thirty three months unarmed service in the army or thirty eight months community work. See official pages by the Greek Cypriot National Guard. Legislation and practice relating to civilian alternatives to military service remained punitive in nature, although new legislation which came into force in 2004 reduced the length of such alternative service. The Special Committee, which makes recommendations on applications for conscientious objection, proposed a blanket rejection of applications based on ideological grounds where applicants do not declare particular beliefs.
The Annan Plan for Cyprus that was rejected in the 2004 referendum mandated the demilitarisation of the island and the disbanding of both Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot forces.
so therefore as a UK citizen, yes you will loose your citizenship;
you may never serve in an another country, if you were to have dual citizenship. that is one of the rules ,that is highly applied by most countries.you would forfeit the first one.
and if you go? yes you will have to do services for the military , and therefore, loose UK citizenhip.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How is the present situation in Iran regarding to the British hostages?

Can you get an Italian passport if your grandparents were Italian?
I was born in the US and so were my parents, but my grandparents on both sides came from Italy. On that basis, can I apply for an Italian passport?...

Living in America and not American?
I am about to marry an American. What I would like to know is can i live right away in the us while i am waiting for my papers? What else do I need to know? Any info on this will be a great help!! T...

I am from trinidad and tobago do i need a visa to visit ghana?

Passport number?
what does it do? is it like a social security number?
Additional Details
Thank you all....

Can I contact an embassy in my state (republic) to ask for aseulysm?please,be concise and very clear...thanks!
so,i think i'm not present here all the time and i feel it's time to say the truth..i have to react and fight for my liberty of liberty...i know that when someone enters a foreign state,he ...

Passport verification?
how do someone check passport verification, if passport is real or fake?...

Passport fees?
I heard passport fees are going up to $1,000 later sometime in the year. Is this true?...

What kind of visa should i get if i marry an american citizen? and how fast is it?
I am 25 years old and plan to marry an old man aged 66. Is the american embassy/ the console will give me a visa as his wife? Is American government honor the marriage here in the Philippines? Do ...

What kind of education do you need in order to work in US embassy ?
in United States or ...

Can I travel to EU countries visa-free with a UK student visa?
Hi, i am an international student in the UK and have a valid student visa. The UK student visa is officially in the form of a "Residence permit of the European Union" - Country: GB, type: ...

Does the baby require a separate passport Or his/her name can be endorsed in one of the parentsí passports? ..
I have a two -month-old baby & we are from india....

Margaret Meagher became the first female ambassador in 1958. To which embassy was she appointed?
Margaret Meagher became the first female ambassador in 1958. To which embassy was she appointed?...

To go to USA does BRITISH citizen need anyother documents other than passport. Is the british passport MRP?
is a british passport MACHINE READABLE PASSPORT?...

Can I enter United States with LPR without passport?
I am in Europe because my husband is stationed here and I am wondering if I can enter back to the US with my LPR (I have only been out of the states less than 5 months) and we are going to have ...

What is Hong Kong?
I know Hong Kong used to be a British colony, ceded by China. What is Hong Kong right now? is it a country belonging to China? (like Puerto Rico to USA?) or what is it? does it have it's own ...

Sir I want to know the procedure of changing the address in passport?

I'm a Filipino, and working here in Taiwan, how can I apply for Chinese Visa?

Additional Details
is there a way that I dont need to go back to Philippines just to apply for the Visa, any ideas if there is an Chinese Embassy here in T...

Am I eligible for a German passport?
My mother was born in Germany to German parents. She moved to the states when she was 5. Later her mother became a US naturalized citizen. My mother never applied and she still has her green card, ...

US passport?
We're thinking about traveling out of the States for the first time. How long does it normally takes to process our passport applications? Thanks!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links