Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Embassies & Consulates

Does the United States recognize Dual Citizenship?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does the United States recognize Dual Citizenship?

Additional Details
Thanks everybody. Jamie and dognhorsemom, thanks for the links.

john_stolworthy
Rating
Yes, with Ireland and Israel. My wife has American/Irish citizenship.

dognhorsemom
Rating
Jaguar may be correct about Canadian law, but is mistaken about US law. Here is the State Department's official word on the subject: look where it says, "U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship." That last clause is vital. If you do not intend to relinquish US citizenship, you can acquire any number of other nationalities without risk.

billyandgaby
Rating
I think with Canada onlly

guy_from_there
Rating
Yes it do. You can always keep another Citizenship while you are American.

jamie
They must, since my son is a dual citizen! Actually, the US considers dual nationals to be US citizens and ignores the citizenship laws of other countries. So if you are a US citizen, the last thing you should do is to try to enter the United States using a foreign passport.

I have represented clients who are citizens of 3, 4 or even 5 different countries. For an interesting write-up by the US Dept. of State on dual nationality, see:

http://shusterman.com/toc-usc.html and scroll down to "Dual Nationality"

Curious1usa
Rating
The United States does not prohibit dual citizenship, nor does it encourage dual citizenship.

tommy_hil01
Rating
No they don't!! Your original country by birth should be!

That is, if you are born anywhere in the world except US and become a American Citizen, then you are considered as a Naturalised American Citizen and from your original country by birth. And if your original country by birth still accepts you as their citizen then you are considered dual citizen in your original country by birth and NOT in the US.

Double 709
Yes, and not just with Canada.

Beetle bug
Rating
Tommy is right. It is upto your country of birth or any other country that you take citizenship to accept that you hold dual nationality. For example, as an Indian, if you take up any other citizenship, you have to relinquish your Indian citizenship and you are only eligible for an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) or Person of Indian Origin (PIO) status which takes away some of your basic rights as an Indian citizen like right to vote and ownership of land.

robkim04
yes they do, i am dual and you can never change you birth cirtificiate. no matter were you go they have to honor that. i live it and live on a border town so i am living proof.

gapdiaz
Yes but canada does the real stuff

TLJaguar
No!
The US does NOT recognize dual citizenship. However the US cannot cancel your citizenship in another country.
Its a little confusing, but let me explain my situation.
I was born in Canada, so I am a Canadian citizen. I moved to the US and became a citizen on the US. The US government considers me an American Citizen, the Canadian government recognizes me and a dual citizen.
If you are born an American, and move somewhere else and become a citizen of Canada (or any other country) then the US will no longer recognize your American Citizenship....
Does that make sense?

LA M
Yes. They do. I would check with the state department to make sure they will accept it if it involves traveling back in further from said country.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When the aliens come to visit the Earth, who will speak as Earth's ambassador. Do we have a policy for this?
In the movies, it tends to be the President of the United States, but why not some farmer. Does NASA, or SETI have someone for this job?...

Is a passport required when traveling by land to re-enter the U.S?
I've seen the news about the new requirement of obtaining a passport to travel outside of the country, and to re-enter the U.S by air, but is it also a requirement for land travel to re-enter ...

Does Santa have diplomatic immunity?

Would broccoli make a good wepon?
well would it........i need a wepon to defend the vegie ...

Why is it you wait for ages for a hostage & then half a dozen turn up at the same time?

Is Alexander the Great an appropriate name for the airport in Skopje, Macedonia?

Is it dangerous to travel to thailand or vietnam my friend is visiting now and she told me as a girl her?
brother was murdered by the police over their for being a refugee?is it really that dangerous over seas exspeacially for americans? are they like walking targets ?or its ok to travel like that in ...

Would Paris Hilton make a good USA Ambassador? Why or Why not?

Additional Details
Shirley Temple - Black was a very famous movie star and eventually became a U. S. Ambassador. Correct me if I'm wrong. So maybe Paris would like to do the same ...

How much compensation will Serbia have to pay for burning down the US embassy?
The burning down of the embassy was unanaminously condemned by the UN security council
http://www.reuters.com/a
Serbs have also caused damage to The B...

Someone traveled to africa and lost money and cant fly back.I dont have enought money to sent to her.what can?
My friend flew to (Nigeria) africa to do some business,she lost money and i dont have enought money to buy her ticket home.she is still there and im senting some money to stay at a hotel.if i dont,...

Why Whitemen makes it so hard for African men to travel to Abroad when it so easy for them to come to Africa?

I have recieved job contract from TOTAL NIGERIA located in Lagos Nigeria, is this company existing.?

Y do we have 2 keep buying new passports?y not just renew them ,without havin 2 pay?

Will Iraq be riped apart to suet the USA?

Who is the frist prieme minister of india?

WTF?! Why Is the Pope Apologizing?
Why is the pope apologizing for what he said? Everything he said is true. The Islam religion is NOT a peaceful religion, it is based on violence in the name of Allah. Anyone who says the true muslims ...

Has anyone got the telephone number of the American Embassy in London please?
got through on mobile but cannot seem to on landline!
Same thing happened when going through Directory Enquiries!
Number not recognised!
This enquiry is for overseas study in US and ...

If you had a choice between living in USA or West Europe(Germany,France, and etc)?
where would you live and why?...

Which passport is value in this World, British Passport or US Passport ??
please tell me which nationality value and demanded BRITISH PASSPORT OR U.S. PASSPORT ???...

What would you do if you were in the Presidents place?
If you were in our presidents place? I'm sure we all have ouir disagreements so what would you do?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, July 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links