Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Embassies & Consulates

How can I become a foreign diplomat?
Find answers to your legal question.

How can I become a foreign diplomat?

...More specifically, working for the Canadian embassy, preferrably in northwestern Europe (Brussels, etc.)?

What education would I need (major)?
What job experience would I need (where should I start volunteering or what sector should I gain experience in)?
What life experiences do I need to have?
...and anything else you can think of.

I'm a Canadian university student at a crossroad here!


Rowena D
You can work for embassy or foreign mission either as a diplomat or locally employed staff member (you enjoy some benefits, but you don't have diplomatic status). Now, you can become honorary consul only if you have particularly strong ties with the country you are appointed to (plus it's honorary title, no money, just benefits). If you would like to work in the Canadian embassy in Northwest Europe you would either have to be Canadian citizen or have really strong ties with the country you want to work in (language skills help). You should apply for the job to Ministry of Foreign Affairs - you might spend couple of years just doing desk job in Canada before you get appointed to your first post.
When you apply for diplomatic jobs in UK you have two tracks - slow and fast one. If you pass the test you can go for fast track diplomatic career - you will get promoted faster and you will not start from the lowest positions. I don't know how it works in Canada, but I guess that following things help when trying to become diplomat:
- knowledge of languages
- degree in the international relations, politics, law, economics or arts (remember there are different posts within embassy - commercial officer, military officer, cultural officer - nobody is just "staff" but everybody have a precise role and job description)
- experience working with/in government
- good network of international and local contacts
Good luck!

It helps to be gay.

If you are actually not that strict limited to your country only, then you may want to buy a honorary counsil position from a smaller country, like Belize or Georgia. They badly need cash and you would be:
a). Enjoying all the perks of a CD worker like free travel around the worlds;
b). Gaining diplomatic experience for your CV for the future job.

In the Bush administration, the best route to a top job in the state department has nothing to do with foreign service expertise and experience. Examples: Karen Hughes, Undersecretary of State for Diplomacy began her career as a local television reporter in Texas; John Bolton, UN Ambassador, long-time conservative lobbyist and contrarian got his start by lobbying against Iran-Contra investigations then worked for conservative think tank; Condi Rice, Secretary of State was provost in small private university seven years ago then National Security Advisor when national security was breached on 9/11. Seems like becoming a Repulbican fund raiser might be a good plan.

If you are an American the best place to start, as a university student, is career fairs since various gov't agencies frequent them, or checking the website USAJOBS.

As for Canada, I would ask your country's state department. . perhaps send an email to your government to find out exactly what you should do. . or, as a student you may have another option:

Check your university campus for government liaisons! In the U.S. the State Department appoints ambassadors "in residence" to certain universities around the country. Find out if an ambassador-in-residence is on your campus, or if the political science dept knows how you might get in touch with the appropriate person to start your search for information.

Good luck!

Lola P
you probably should go to school for international studies or political science...however, with just a bachelor's, you might not get very far...you probably need to get your doctorate (phd) as well.

can anybody provide me with an effective way to become a diplomat in canada. i am an immigrant

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Do I need to register with the American embassy?
I am a U.S. citizen traveling to Indonesia, is it mandatory to register these days with the embassy?...

 What amount of money is ´sufficient´for 6 month uk tourist visa?
I am trying to get my boyfriend a 6month uk tourist visa to come and stay with me and i dont know how much he needs to have in his bank in order to prove he can support himself. He is going to open a ...

 How can i get the permission to live in canda?
about the visa card or papper which ...

 Why the uzbekistan embassy in us doesn't answer their phone?
I tried to contact them numerous times for visa information via phone, fax and email. I even left voice mail. There are two embassies in US in Washington DC and in NY. It has been at least a month ...

 Which passport ??
I am a masters student and i will study abroad for one semester. I want to apply for the passport soon. Which passport should I apply for? They have different colours ..I dont know which one to apply ...

 The U.N. slogan?
Read as follow:
"We the people of the United Nations determined to save succeding generations from the scourge of war".
Do you think they are operating according to it?...

 I am a U.S. citizen with a French citizen for a parent and am trying to gain dual citizenship with France?help
I cannot find any concrete info on how to apply for citizenship. Please help with positive feedback!!...

 How can I get a Visa to live in England with my boyfriend for the next 2 years if I am from the US?
I do not have a degree so I do not qualify for the short list of work visas. What I need is a Visa that will allow me to stay in the country and work....

 If I have a Portuguese (European) passport do I need to get a visa (visto) before going to USA or not ?
I am brazilian but I have an european passport and I am thinking about going to visit USA but I am not sure if I have or not to go the US embassy in order to get a Visa....

 Can a Mexican Trucker Bring In a Nuclear Dirty Bomb From Monterrey to Dallas?
A simple answer will do....

 Obtaining a US passport?
How do I replace a lost passport if the US Embassy in Siagon was burned down where My dad intially got the passport. please ...

 Do you think the US Embassies/Consulates charge too much for a VISA to their country?
Just wondering....

 Can i use my foreign passport if i am an american citizen?
i am a US citizen/peruvian citizen and wanna travel to peru because of an emergency, but i dont have my american passport, i never applied for one, now i understand that i can get an special temp ...

 My son wants to become a diplomat?
What education and job experience is required?...

 I'm going to nigeria next month and need to know the embassy address to send it to?
i've already received my passport now i need to get my visa. with my visa i need a letter of invitation from my friend with the embassy address on the letter. i don't know what the correct ...

 Help! what to wear during oathtaking???
I will be having my oath taking ceremony since I passed my US Citizenship , i dont know what to wear. any ideas or experiences? ...

 I have a US green card. Can I work in canada ?
I am a permanent resident of US. (Green Card holder) Can I work in Canada ? Does US green card give a right to work in Canada ?...

 Can you apply for a visa using a passport whose date of expiry is less than six months?
My application for visa was rejected today because the validity of passport is less than 6 months. The expiry date of my passport is June 2008.

Is this rule the same in all embassies?...

 Is it need visa to visit malaysia from india?
i am working in saudi arabia , do i need to go back to india in order to get permit to come to malaysia ? can i fly direct from saudi arabia?...

 Get real answers from millions of real people.?
Im Villa G.Villaruel,filipina i just need help how to get a 90days visa for UK and whats the easiest procedure,any help will hightly appreaciated..
thnkx in advance......


Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, February 13, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links