Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Embassies & Consulates

How can I maintain my US Citizenship while living in a foreign country?
Find answers to your legal question.

How can I maintain my US Citizenship while living in a foreign country?

I plan on living with my wife and son in my wife's country of Colombia. I am a US Citizen, born in the US. How can I maintain my US Citizenship while living in a foreign country?

Prison officer
Rating
I am an American living in Colombia for the past 16 years. There is no problem. You are American for life unless you renounce your citizenship before a consular officer at the American Embassy in Bogota.
Also learn some Spanish. It will be helpful in your interactions with the population here.

Liberal AssKicker
Rating
Your citizenship is permenant.

Just keep renewing your passport.

gomanyes
Rating
You don't need to maintain it. The only way you can lose US citizenship is if you renounce it before a US embassy. Even renouncing it as part of an oath of citizenship to another country doesn't count.

mamour
Rating
as an US citizen? you are free to live anywhere you so wish, with no restrictions imposed.
you might want to register yourself to the embassy,in case of future needs,(birth certificate,emergency,passports,consular help)

here is the link of US citizen registration :
http://bogota.usembassy.gov/http/travel/travel/tips/registration/registration_1186.html

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What US Visa do i need, if attending a short Wolf course, and then volunteering after?
I am travelling to the USA in June, and can't work out what visa i need. I am doing a course at the International Wolf Center in MN, www.wolf.org for 5 days, paying for it. Then I am travelling ...

Is it possible to geta passport in india without the refference?
i meaan without the sign of refferal ...

What happens when you steal from US when you not a citizine?

Can any one tell me the name of British Cosulate-General in Chicago?

Additional Details
i mean the one who does visa ...

Why is there green card lottery and who does this?
i want to know who is doing this lottery ...

I'm American and my fiance is Polish. Is it possible for us to get married in Denmark (we live there now))

What jobs require a immigration work permit?
I have a cousin who live in the Bahamas, she wants to move to Miami with us but she needs a job, what all jobs sponsor you so you can get a work permit?

thank ...

Do I need a Canadian visa to travel to Canada even if I have an American visa?
I require a Canadian visa to enter Canada. However, I have an American visa. Would I still need to apply for a Canadian visa, or will the American visa work?...

Eye Dilation?
Yesterday, I had my eyes dilated and today there is still some residual symptoms of dialation. I went out in the sun. Did I get eye damage?...

I got a letter from the embassy they said they wont proof that aim in the usa whats the best proof?

Anybody here a diplomat?
I want to major in that field and i need help deciding which university to attend. I also need you to tell me where you work and what you work on and how long you stayed in college to get your degree....

Where did I put my passport?
Any answers?...

How will my incident(drunk driving) affect me when I apply for J1 visa at the Consulate?
I am from Turkey and I have been issued J1 visa 3 times during my
college period for work and travel program. On my last stay I was
arrested because of drunk driving. I have been living ...

From the declaration of indepencne..please help me understand how equality plays a role in this...?
“we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable right’s, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit ...

If you are an international student in the US can you buy a house there?

Regarding applying for US Citizenship?
Hello everybody,
i hope somebody can maybe help me out .I'm over 3years married to my husband who serves in the USArmy, we got married in germany (i'm a Local National, German) and we ...

What were to happen if a 18 year old with diplomatic immunity got caught with drugs?
If he lives in france and is in france at the time of the ...

What is the criteria to enter to spain if your wife is spanish citizen?
how long does it ...

I'm indian on indefinite leave to remain in the uk want to travel to spain do i need a visa?

How long before i can petition my family if i live in the united states for less than a year?
my husband is an american citizen who petitioned me to be with him....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links