Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Embassies & Consulates

How does a U.S. citizen marry a Mexican Citizen?
Find answers to your legal question.

How does a U.S. citizen marry a Mexican Citizen?

I'm a US citizen from San Diego and my Fiance is a Mexican Citizen from Guadalajara. We are currently expecting identical twin girls and have decided that the best thing to do is get married. He doesn't have his Visa so he cannot cross the border and we don't have the money to petition for him to come to the U.S. so we want to get married in Tijuana, B.C. What do I need as a US citizen to get married in Mexico? and also what will he need to bring as a Mexican citizen?


As an American Citizen plans to marry in Mexico, he/she must follow all the applicable rules and laws of Mexico. A Mexico marriage will be recognized in the United States as long as it is legal and valid in Mexico. Only marriages performed by Civil Registry Officials (not religious officials) are considered legal and valid in Mexico.
U.S. Citizens must have a valid Passport and their Tourist or Residence permits up to date with Mexican Immigration Authorities; you must also request from Mexican Immigration a marriage permit. Upon fulfillment of the above requirements, the marriage can be performed at the Civil Registry Office.
Requirements for a Mexico Marriage
1. Completed marriage application, giving exact names of applicants, just as they appear in their birth certificates (Article 93 of the Civil Code)
2. Birth Certificate and three photocopies (Mexican Citizen).
3. For the American Citizen: Apostilled birth certificate translated into Spanish. For information on obtaining an apostille in the U.S., click here. "FMT" form (Tourist or Residence), and a special permit to marry in Mexico issued by Mexican Immigration.
4. Four witnesses. Two for each applicant (over 18 yrs. of age) with original
5. Prenuptial medical examination, issued by the local General Hospital, or by another public or private entity of their selection, which should include HIV, V.D.R.L. and blood type, issued no more than 15 days before the marriage takes place. Medical examinations from the U.S. are NOT acceptable.
6. If applicants are living together or have children, all of the above requirements still apply, including Steps 5.
7. Photo I.D. and a copy (both sides) for each of the applicants.
8. If applicants are divorced or widowed, they should present the corresponding divorce or death certificates and three copies.
9. When one or both of the persons marrying is/are under the age of 18, the parents of the minor(s) must present photo I.D. to be able to give their consent and must accompany them first to City Hall to obtain an "Underage Permit" and then to the Civil Registry Office.
10. An appointment for the marriage must be scheduled the day before. Bring all the above required documents to the Civil Registry Office from 9:00a.m. to 12:00p.m. Monday through Friday. Marriages at a location other than the Civil Registry Office require an appointment at least 14 days in advance. As of October 2002, fees were:

--Private Ceremony: $139.00 Pesos (About $14.00 Dollars)
--Public Ceremony: $99.00 Pesos (About 10.00 Dollars)
--Marriage Performed at Home: $2,080.00 Pesos (About $210.00 Dollars)

Marriage and divorce proceedings in Mexico fall under local State law and while the requirements are generally the same in all 31 states and the Federal District of the Republic, there could be some slight variations depending on the State. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you directly contact the local "Registro Civil" of the city where you intend to hold the ceremony, in order to obtain complete information (there are "Oficinas del Registro Civil" in each city in Mexico). For those staying at a hotel, the management can provide you with the address of the nearest Registro Civil.

you need to petition him for a fiancee visa,(3months)then GET MARRIED.you both have 90 days in the US.
ask a lawyer,the first meting is USUALLY FREE,if you marry then it is not a boyfriend anymore, Stop. just go have the honeymoon,Puerto Vallarta ,sounds good.

OOOOH, i feel for you. It used to be that you get married, and all of the sudden you can bring husband (wife) over the border. Not true any more.

Talk to a lawyer that specializes in immigration to find out what you need to do. You CAN get married in TJ, and it is a valid marriage, but he will not be able to cross based on that (which is not right). My sister had this same problem. She took advice from a lawyer that didn't know anything about immigration, and had nothing but a headache.

I don't THINK you need anything special to get married in mexico, but the marriage is just the MINOR issue. You want him to be able to come to the states, and that's the MAJOR issue.

I wish i could be more helpful, my sister went through this, and it was a big headache for her, cause she did everything wrong, based on the advice of a lawyer who didn't know anything about immigration. Find an immigration lawyer, they should be able to tell you what you need to do.

I wish you luck

phil p
"I DO'!!

marie ann
hi marie im merried mexican guy and i want to fallow hem in mexico and i dont know what i need documents to prepare please i need to help thanks

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 How 2 get consulate attestation on my marriage certificate to get a Dubai visa?
My hubby holds a visa in Ajman and is working there for the last 12 ...

 Is cpnis company really exist and legally operated ? or government approved?

 How to cancel my visa even if i did not enter DUBAI ?because i was being hired by another employer in italy ?
my working visa was process by my 1st employer in dubai, can i cancel it here in the india ?where will i go? because i was being hired by another employer in italy and they will process my visa. what ...

 How do I be a US citizen?
Hey guys,

I'd like to be a US citizen anytime soon. Actually my uncle and his family lives in USA and they are officially citizens.
How can I get this? I'm 14 and I really ...

 Labor certificate rejected?
Hi, I and my husband are from India. He is working in US from past 3 years. His labor certificate for green card is rejected twice and he has applied it again. Is it true that if the labor ...

 I need adresses of miss tessey fab who is now in refugee camp of dakar senegal?
pls tell ...

 Wich countryes the bolivian passport can go to with out visa?

 Do american passport cards have all the persons information on the card itself?
I applied for a american passport card and i searched up pictures of the card and all it shows is a blank card. I want to know if all the information is on the card itself, or is the information ...

 My hubby is a british citizen,I had our son delivered here in the Philippines.How will I register him at?
the British Embassy Manila???...

 I wish to apply for a work visa in the EU. However, I have a misdemeanor theft charge dating back to 1981.
It is the lowest class of a misdemeanor possible to have. I paid an $85 fine and performed 225 hours community service. Will this prevent me from obtaining a work visa for the EU?
Additional D...

 Does the Australian embassy NOT allow P.O. box address?
I want to visit Australia on a tourist visa next year yet. I've spoken to some of my friends who have been there. One of them told me that they will ask for the current address that I live in to ...

 I would like to know about diplomatic visa?
what is a diplomatic visa. is this a real visa....

 How long does it take?
my imigration case completed since one month i'm waiting for my interview but until now i didn't hear anything from NVC my case is CR1 and it's in US embassy in cairo anyone can tell ...

 Applying minors passport
I am an NRI (UAE) and I want to apply passport for my baby(3 months) in india.i have send my passport copy sworn affidavit from indian consulate UAE, to apply for the pasport. his birth ...

 Need your help - My residence situation in Austria
My name is : Shahar Hlinovsky and I am a refugee from Israel.
I lived in Canada for 2.5. years as a refugee and then permanent residence (2005-2008).
Due to political problems and ...

 What is the official address of the Australian Prime Minister?
I need his name
His official address.

Please help me on this!!...

 Will the U.S. Embassy deny help to bring a grandchild to the U.S. if....?
My aunt has so many different medical problems, some include end stage renal disease, coronary artery disease, and peripheral vascular disease. She goes through dialysis and is very weak. By doctors ...

 What kinds of questions are asked during security clearance interviews?
I am only curious about the process for obtaining a Confidential or Secret security clearance.

After you fill out Standard Form 86, you must sit down and talk with a government ...

 Life in a foreign country (dilemma)?
If anyone can relate, could you please share your thoughts. thanx. i'd like to leave and start a life in a foreign country, but i'd like to settle down and stay there forever. my question ...

 Tourist Visa Extension- plz suggest?
i am on tourist visa in US which is valid till aug 30, although i have applied for visa extension but not sure if i ll be getting decision from USCIS before aug 30.
what i wanted to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, February 6, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links