Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Embassies & Consulates

Marriage between an american citizen an a Colombian?
Find answers to your legal question.

Marriage between an american citizen an a Colombian?

I am an amercian citizen, my boyfriend has his visa. I need legal adivce to know what to do. We are going to get married in Miami, I need to know what to do, and how long it takes for him to become an amercian citizen. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

nath2g
He has to apply for the Fiance visa In Bogota before you marry because if for some reason he had a penalty in status in the past 7 years, his fiance application will be denied.
The safest and fastest way is for you to get married in Colombia, make an appointment with the embassy to get an LPR (legal permanent resident) interview with the ambassador. Once you get that interview which they usually give within the next week to your marriage they give you a package with all the procedures for medical examinations and all that. When you finish with all the requirements, you go back to the embassy, they review your papers and give you your residents package which is an envelope with all of your information and applications (you actually travel with this package as your temporary visa besides a stamp they put in your passport). After this point they will give him six months to leave Colombia, otherwise he will loose his residency. Once he gets here the immigration department will run all of the information in the airport itself and all he has left to do is wait 2 weeks from the time he arrives to receive his social security and he's ready to get the residents welcome letter that is basically your green card.
I advise: Do not waist ANY MONEY in lawyers. The immigration web page walks you step by step, besides all the help and information that he can get in the American Embassy in Bogota. Good luck. I had it!!!!!!

Sara
Well i dont know what kind of visa he has but my husband had expired F1(international student) and once we got married he got his EID in 3 months and green card in 6. And i've heard same in few more cases.

sciencegeek+
Rating
Might not find a lawyer on here, so talk to one in Miami. Immigration lawyer

dognhorsemom
I hope that your boyfriend has a K-1 (fiance) visa. If he does, then as soon as you get married he can apply for an adjustment of status to legal permanent resident. After the prescribed period of time as a resident, he can apply for US citizenship. Here are all the citizenship rules, and a guide to naturalization.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When will the us diversity visa lottery 2010 start at the official free website?

Regarding Passport I dont have address proof in my name can I use address proof of my brother?
can I use the address proof of my brother for appling the passport?...

I have an irish visa,do i need a visa to enter northern ireland on a one day railtour?
i am a filipino....

Why should Western Australia secede?
Why would western australia leave the rest of Australia?...

Is UK visa for EU?
I've a Visit visa for the UK, do I need another Visa to be able to Visit France or Holland?...

Can I claim Dual British/Irish Citizenship...?
Can anyone WHO KNOWS and isn't guessing, tell me if I can claim duel nationality and hold an Irish passport if I can prove my Great Great Grandparents were both irish?

I don't ...

Do u think America should send An ambassador to SYRIA?

Additional Details
No Syria doesnt support terrorism ,but it supports HAMAS to take JOWLAN ...

Normaily an envoy of a country is called AMBASSADOR,but why in commonwealth they r called HIGH commisioners?
an envoy is called an ambassador..but amongst the BRITISH COMMON WEALTH COUNTRIES he/she is tagged as HIGH COMMISSIONER..WHY?...

Why don't you think those people who do execution ie> death penalty (in any nation) realize that it is wrong
Don't they realize it will come back on them one way or the other? I mean before I woke to be vegan, I did not see clearly myself...good thing I was not running for public office back then. It ...

If a person has dual citizenship- Filipino/American,and 16yr-old w/ no guardian,can she be deported to the US?
If a person has dual citizenship- Filipino/American,and a minor- 16yrs old w/ no guardian,can she be deported to the US? She has monthly money from her mother's pension and doesn't study/ ...

How is that possible?
Israel is recognised by almost every country beside the Arabs. But how is it possilbe to recognise a country but not it's capital?

wiki: The status of united Jerusalem as Israel'...

How to face student visa interview for USA?

What's the annual salary of a diplomat?
Specifically for a european, american and canadian diplomat?

I'm simply wondering....

Work at US Consulate in Vietnam ?
I am a US Citizen, I plan to move to Vietnam and really love to work at the US Consulate in Vietnam. Anybody know how to...or ways to have a position in there? I don't have work and residency ...

Does yahoo beta have an agent in united kingdon and nigeria that their duty is to pay 500,000.00$ to me.?

Can the American Embassy in Cairo decline a visa approved by USCIS?

What is a visa?? can someone tell me please?
iv always thought a visa was a credit card??

but y do people say you need a visa to work in different countries?

are they saying you need a credit card to work in different ...

I want to volunteer in Gaza, Is there any Non Profit org to help me.I am 28 from India.I have a passport also.?
I am completely free and I would like to volunteer for the affected people in Gaza.I don't need anything. Just food and some accomodation may be arranged.I would also like to work for any ...

How you great vip persones?

Do i need a visa to enter?
kenya with a US passport?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links