Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Child Adoption

Can I adopt a full grown man?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I adopt a full grown man?

I went to the adoption services and they told me I can not adopt a grown man.
Why?

Doodlestuff
Rating
In all but about 5 states in the US, you can adopt an adult. However, that adult must be younger than you. Adult adoption is not rare, but you usually go directly through the courts and not 'adoption services' because there is no need to get any additional information and no home study is necessary unless you are adopting an 'at risk' adult.

I actually know 5 people adopted as adults, which is maybe unusual. One was adopted by her birth mother, one by her foster parents and another by his stepfather. Another was adopted by another relative to protect her child from her mother (her mother was then legally, no longer the grandparent). The last one was pretty complicated. Stepparent adoption is the most common type of adult adoption.

If your state is one of the few that don't permit adult adoption, either the adopters or the adoptee can move to another state that DOES do this. Once that person has attained legal residency, the adoption can take place. Once you get the final papers, you can move back. The adoption is then legally accepted in your state.

Rhode Island is the only state that comes to mind that doesn't permit adult adoption unless it involves someone who is mentally handicapped.

LinnyG
Rating
You can do what is known as "adult adoption" Many first Moms are adopting back their now adult children surrendered to adoption.

http://www.adoptingback.com/

But, if you're just looking for someone to pay your bills and do yard work, match.com may be better for you.

eta" nice call, Mom to Foster Children...shoulda known.

nikkisixx
you cannot adopt anyone over the age of 18 because they are legally considered an adult. If you care for this person and they need your help, become their friend and take care of them

Mom to Foster Children
Troll!

GagaLover
hahhaa wow... idkkkk LOL good luck with that one.

AEMLA
My Brother was adopted at 15 years old and we had problems because you aren't allowed to adopt after 16

some kinda policy
Well, you can't

Mickey
If he's full grown then he should be able to take care of himself.

gypsywinter
Hey...when you find out how to do that...PLEASE let me know!

scorpio_queen_2003
Rating
lol.why can't he look after himself?

De
You can not adopt someone over 18 unless they have some sort of mental or physical health problems. This type of adoptions is done through foster care

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Adopting a newborn child in Georgia?
My husband and I have a friend who introduced us to a young girl. She is unmarried and unable to care for a child she is carrying. We would like to adopt this child. My husband is 24, I am 23 and ...

adoption?? please help?
ok so my cousin just got her kids tooken by the government not that long ago and they lived with us for a couple of months and my mom feel in love with her baby(not litterally of course) so my mom ...

Foster/foster-adopt parents, and formerly fostered people, what is your view on respite care?
For any who may not know, respite care is where foster parents care for children in care if their usual foster parents need a break.
I've always been in two minds about this, I recognise ...

How do you respond to the question, "What country"?
We adopted through foster care. When someone who doesn't know us very well finds out we adopted, one common question we get is, "What country did you adopt from?"

P...

Bio parents: What term do you prefer to be used?
I'm just wondering what term biological parents prefer to be called by. I'm an adoptee and I've always referred to mine as birth parents or biological parents, but after searching ...

Is it self fish for me to think we should stop reproducing for now?
I've always wanted kids, but today i thought about how so many children not just in America need a home and someone to show them love and support. I'm not completely against giving birth to ...

First mom issue...ideas plz?
Most of you here know my story. I adopted my step daughter 3 years ago and have made sure to keep her first mom as involved as possible.

Yesterday I got a call that she was unexpectedly in ...

How can we adopt foster kids waiting for a family?
My husband and I are adopted and both come from foster care. We, of course know a lot of people that were adopted and we have many friends as well. I was adopted as a baby like my husband but my ...

How do we make the adoption of our foster daughter as special as possible on a small budget?
We're finalizing the adoption of our foster daughter next friday. She's been with us for nearly 2.5 years, and we couldn't be more pleased to finally make her a permanent part of our ...

I just found out I am a father of a 10 yr old girl who was given up for adoption. How can I connect with her?
I reside in Canada, and know my daughters full name and city she lives in. My daughter was given up for adoption after birth without my knowledge or consent. She also informed me the adoption is an ...

WDYT of my opinion on adoption? Bq too?
Please keep in mind that I am only 15.

I want to have my own kids in the future, so I am NOT trying to put anyone down for wanting their own kids. However, I also want to adopt. I plan on ...

What is the difference between adoption and foster care?
???...

To all yo adopted people out there?
What are you feelings towards your biological parents?...

Why are so many adoptee's so against adoption?
I am so confused! What is wrong with adopting a baby? Why does someone have to go through foster care in order for it to be okay to adopt?...

Medical issues and adoption?
There was a question posted just a little while ago...Someone inquiring about the likelihood of being able to adopt since she and her husband had medical issues (chronic and long term ones, in ...

adoption questions... i need help!?
my husband and I like any other couples would give anything to have kids and start are family. I have a disease called pulmonary hypertension that is a hear/lung disease and because of it i cant have ...

I am 18 years old and pregnant and I am planning on adoption, what should I do?
I have already read several forums about the simple question of should I put my child up for adoption, so I kind of know how people are thinking, but I am thinking completely differently. I am 18 ...

My 5 year old asks about why I was Adopted what should I tell him?
I call my aunt and Uncle mom & dad they adopted me when I was 9 because I was abused by my parents
When my mom (aunt) was over the other day she was talking about my parents and my very ...

How many kids can a single man (Indian, 30 years ) adopt in India?
Can you adopt only one child at a time?
If you can only adopt male child as a single man, can you adopt a female child after marriage?
Is there a restriction on the total number/gender of ...

How would I make it possible to adopt and save a certain child from a group home?
I am a parent who has recently discovered that my daughter's best friend belle has recently been forced to move into a group home in Nevada city.She is a nice ,nonviolent girl who has recently ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links