Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

Can illegal immigrants go to college?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can illegal immigrants go to college?

Hadenough
Yes
And who ever said they can't get grants is wrong. Income not citizenship is required on most. Schools permit all.

Clawndike
Rating
Although they face many obstacles from the application process to student loans and so on, yes illegal immigrants can go to college.

Keep in mind that most high school students who are not legally in the US had the decision to come to this country made for them when they were children.

Vero
Rating
Yes they can. Anyone can go to college, with or without a Social Security. When I was applying to colleges (at the time I had no papers) they said that I could apply without a Social Security, the only thing was that I had to pay like I was out of state, which meant $230 an unit, verses residents who paid $25 a unit for Junior College. Later on I went to a convention to help Latinos get scholarships. There they told me about the AB540 Law. Basically if you went to High School for 3 years and graduated from High School for the sake of Tuition you would be considered a resident and not have to pay out of state fees.

This was great, because if it wasn't for this I would not be able to go to Junior College and went on to SFSU and got my B.A. in Criminal Justice. It is a great thing that they passed this law because a lot of Illegal Immigrants did not go to school because of this. Although some people might think it is bad, it is not. Also, we never once asked for assistance while I was there. And if we had asked for help we had every right because we have been paying taxes ever since we got here 18 years ago. 11 of those years we were illegal.

Just to let everyone know, you can still pay your taxes even if you are illegal. You just need to apply with the IRS a number so that you can pay your taxes with that number, it's not a social.

?
Yes, and the reason is simple, education is a human right, not dependent on any citizenship. There are many who abuse the system, that doesn't mean the system is wrong, Many people abuse alcohol, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. If they pay their fees, why shouldn't they learn? By learning they can contribute to society, pay tax, get legal. Too many people take education for granted. As for financial assistance, I am sure they need to be legal to receive such payments.

Love Exists?
Rating
yea

had438
In Texas they can even get financial aid as long as they graduated from high school and are in the process of getting their citizenship or becoming legal residents.

mari r
Rating
probably and if they did they will no longer be able to because of the laws passing as we speak, everything is against the law now even feeding the poor, this is a sad country and is getting worse and worse the one thing i believe is else sad is that these children who came to this country illegally had no choice but to follow the parents who brought them here illegally, the parents are the ones to blame but the children are paying the price and we are so lame and inhuman we refuse to feed the hungry because they came to our doorsteps against our wishes!

D
Rating
Yes they can. If an illegal is going to college, won't this help our society? Isn't education the key for a better tommorrow? These people should be given amnesty. They should, however, pay back any assistance they received if the government subsidized their education....

Belen
Rating
I think illegal immigrants won't even think about going to college in the U.S. because the first thing the college admissions office requires is the student's proof of citizenship or proof that he or she is a permanent resident or the so-called green card holder.

fartman
Rating
why not prisoner can

d_bo_babyg
yes

b_rachelk
ARE YOU AN ILLEAGAL IMMIFRANT? IF NOT WHY THE HELL SHOULD YOU CARE? IS IT NOT BETTER TO LET THEM GET AN EDUCATION SO THEY MAY RETURN HOME AND DO SOMETHING WITH THIER LIVES? OR ARE YOU SCARED THAT IF THEY GET A GOOD EDUCATION THEY MAY ACTUALLY TAKE YOUR JOB AND DO BETTER AT IT THAN YOU?AT LEAST YOU WONT BE ABLE TO SAY A STUPID MEXICAN STOLE MY JOB!!

iceskateingqueen123
yes

zoerayne023
yes

nfaustman
Yes, they can. In some cases, they may qualify for in-state tuition rates.

Whoever said that federal law prohibits the states from doing this needs to take a look at USC case law. It has consistently ruled that states are sovereign on issues such as education.

^v^
Rating
Yes, but I have no idea why my tax dollars should pay for it.

PIRATES RULE!
Rating
sure on there refried bean fund

Kelz D
they should if they learn the english language and become US citizens.

Nadia K
Rating
with a visa for school

jim g
sad to say yes...often getting instate tuition charges and/or free tuition.
God Save America!

David C
Rating
Not in the State of Arizona! They need to show proof of citizenship, student visa, or resident card.

Top Cat
Rating
if they are do not go through the process to become legal, this not be allowed

Johnny
Yes it happens and what is really sad, is if you added up all the money we give to illegals and aid to countries that don't even practice moral democracy...you could send every American citizen to college as they graduate from high school.

Ronald G
Rating
It all depends on the state that they apply to. Some states have initiatives to ban illegal immigrants from applying. The problem is that once they are here, many states have laws that say that illegal children are entitled to use our public education system. Once they enter that system then it is easy access to state-run colleges.

hello5033
Rating
Do you know, that to get low college tuition you have to be resident of the State for 12 months.
Why? because schools are state funded (Mostly) very little federal funding.
When you live in any state in the US, since the moment that you pay your rent, eat, play state lotto, put gas in your tank, smoke cigars or cigarettes, drink alcoholics bevereges and so many practices. You are paying for schools, medical services which by the way are state funded, don't forget prisions (except federal prisions)
Well let's do the numbers
When paid your rent the person or company that rent the place to you has to pay their state taxes.
When you buy food in California you pay 7.75 % of every dollar you spent.
Gasoline, 34 % goes to state taxes.( Federal is 17 %, that will cover federal prisons.)
If you smoke cigarettes $ 8.70 of every carton is state exercise tax.
Cigars is 46.76 %.
Alcohol is 35 %
Lotto tickets for every dollar woth of lotto tickets 34 % is for education.
So fact is that every person legal or not is paying for education, and when you are in jail you already paid your dues.
Hispanics are well know to to buy lotto tickets, drink beer and smoke cigarettes
When they work paying or not paying taxes, their emploweer who has beneficiated from their labor, has in turn to pay taxes,
State and Federal so all the farmers, manufactures, hotels etc...
So to answer your question, it is hard for an illegal immigrant to go to college even though they already paid some money to the State. and to the federal goverment.

old man
Rating
Yes they don't even have to pay out of state tuition but if you live in Missouri and want to go to school in Kansas you do

Got a Plan
Rating
So sad cause this is a legit question and many of us have problems affording college ourselves.

fortune cookie
Yes, they can get education here in the us but they have to pay extremely, EXTREMELY!!! high tuition, as if they are international students. If you don't have ss#, driver's lic or proof of residency, you must have global funds, to get educated in the USSS!!!!!

regridley
That would be illegal in my mind. F--k no......

KC
I think this Country is going to poor because millions illegal younth people and a lot of people will come to Unnited States to get a free education and free benefit then we encourage and wellcome illegal stay in United States to be consume our freedom of conutry.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If America deports all illegals that were the only breadwinners of their poor families..?
wouldn't that portray you as a cruel nation with no respect to poor people's human rights?

Don't you understand deportation could mean terminating a primary means of ...

Why should I be a Proud American, when My Nation was created as a result of murdering children, womena and men
exetermination of cultures and traditions, enslavement and murder of Africans, and oppression till this day?
Additional Details
The sins of the Father should never be Forgotten or F...

Am I Racist?
I have been picked to race the 400 metres relay for my college but I would much rather run the 200 meter sprint. I hate the 400 metres. I see the 200 meters race as far superior in every way. Am I ...

If you could live in any country apart from your own...?
where would you live?

I am an englishman who has lived in Mexico for 13 years, although I would die for England, I do appreciate the standard of living I have here.

If you were ...

But wait... AREN'T WE ALL IMMIGRANTS!?!?!?
Ha, just kidding. That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard in favor of illegal immigration. I was born here, as were my parents and grandparents.

Has anyone heard any ...

Do u ppl hate ma because i support the illegal immigrants?

Additional Details
*btw everybody i'm not illegal and i'm not hispanic i'm white but i think the united states belongs 2 n e 1 who works in ...

Why do illegal mexicans come to the usa for a better life but cant get a job or go to school here?

I fight for mexicans rights (illegal or legal)?
my name is marioa and i think that all that is going on is dumb no one belongs to the USA WE ARE ALL ILLEGAL OK no one is better than the other. we all work the same and we all fight for a better ...

Are African-Americans considered "immigrants?"?
I hear people always saying how this country was "built by immigrants" and say that this is so not true.
By looking at the definiton of immigrant, it says that (im paraphrasing) an ...

I am 100% AGAINST illegal aliens; how about you?
Illegal aliens are a wart on the 'bottom' of this nation.... Don't you agree?...

Where do babies come from?
I want to know where babies come from. I don't believe that the stork brings them anymore. My parents banned me from health class due to religious reasons, and the school allowed it. I have no ...

What good will building a fence on the mexican border do?
Its not hard to jump it or dig a hole under it, why are they complaining?...

Should I be deported?
I was born in England, but both parents are Afghan. They came here one year before the war broke out in '79 to do their masters degree, but couldn't return as planned for obvious reasons. I ...

When will people stop focusing on illegal "hispanics"?
seems you only focus on those south of the border. Is this not racist?...

What is your take on immigration in the us?

Additional Details
illegal..............

Are our politicians from this planet?
I watched a program and the people in the audience asked
the politicians some serious questions about immigration and war in the middle east, To my horror they have no notion of the fears of ...

Why do people think illegal immigrants are such horrible criminals?
I know illegal means they broke the law, but how many people out there have not came to a complete stop at a stop sign or went 5 miles over the speed limit.Alot of you guys have and that means you ...

Is it racist to feel angry about immigrants taking low paid jobs?
When there are many Brits like me who will and have done this kind of work in the past. However recently it has been difficult for people in this situation to get work in catering and other Manuel ...

Would you marry an illegal immigrant if you were both in love?
I was just curious to read people's opinions on this issue. Also, if you were in this predicament, what do you think you could ask your partner to do to prove it was real love?...

Why is it that all Mexican girls have to have a baby before they leave high school?
Are babies like accesories to Mexican girls?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links