Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

How long do i have to wait to become a us citizen?
Find answers to your legal question.

How long do i have to wait to become a us citizen?

Right now i am a resident and i want to know how long do i have to wait to become a citizen.
I have heard that you have to wait 5 yrs. but can apply 3 months before, is this true?
And around how much does it cost to be a us citizen

Thank you

Phil
Rating
You have to be a permanent resident and actually reside in the US for:
- 3 years if married to a US citizen
- 5 years if not
- a very brief period (one day but you have to finish basic training) if a member of the US Armed Forces.

You can applly three months early.

Filing the form and getting your biometrics done are $675 but there are some other minor costs you might incur in addition.

Get passport type photos taken ($10-15)
Get copies of a variety of documents ($1-100 depending on what you have and need)
Attend an interview and prove you meet the qualifications (verbal test for example on the Constitution, English reading and writing) - $travel costs if any

Take the oath and surrender your PR card, you should apply for a certificate or a passport (about $100-- get a passport it's more useful than a certificate.)

Yak Rider
Rating
Yes, 5 years after the date on your green card you are eligible. You can file up to 90 days early.

verne k
Rating
The fee for the N-400 application for naturalization is $675.

Crawford
It will take several decades to become a true American.

Yes, you can apply early.

It will cost around nothing to be a true American. A true American can live on only television and potato chips for the rest of his/her life.

Television is free at electronics shops.

Chips are free from the garbage.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do I have dual citizenship status?
Hey! I'm very curious about this question. It's important for me to know, as right now I live in Canada; but I planning a trip down to the US this summer and I want to stay and live there. I...

Work and live in uk???
hi I'm an italian girl that want go to the u.k. for a summer...i don't speak english very well...do you thing that I have any possibility to find a job???see me some advise......

Do I must speaking good English to immigrant to USA?
I want go to USA, but I have poverty and I write and read basic English, but speak bad. People speak much fastly. Can I speaking in native language when immigrant, or speaking with English? I hate USA...

Please help immigration advice needed! Australia?
Anyone know of a decent and reasonably priced immigration lawyer based around sydney?

Where can I get photos taken in Austin for a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?
I need photos to go on a Canadian Permanent Resident card. The specs are...well, very specific. Where can I get this done in Austin, TX? I've tried a Kinkos and a Walgreens, and they were both ...

Why are people against deporting illegal immigrants?
I mean in Britain we have 300,000 illegals in London alone. We know where they are and how to get to them but you have the Left wing people moaning about deporting illegals. What have they got to ...

My green card is expired and lost. Is my ss card proof of employment eligibility (it has valid wi?

How long will it take for them to respond? please, please help me?
please read this

http://answers.yahoo.com
once you have please give me any advice.

i ...

Is it considered rude to speak Spanish in front of your non-Spanish speaking friends?
We were having this girl’s night out attending a Poetry event on campus. A cute boy from Belize I been rejecting all semester long came up to the group speaking Spanish. He feel more confident ...

Why did Italians immigrate to Canada?
Hi, I'm doing a ninth grade project and am in desperate need to solve this question. PLEASE HELP. Information and sites would be most appreciated!...

What is the turnaround time for Canada permanent residence application? (New Delhi, India)?
I'm considering applying for Canada Permanant Residence under the Federal Skilled Worker category. I have 2 questions:
a. how long does it take to get the first response from the visa ...

Citizenship interview help PLEASE?
i have a friend thats going to a citizenship test interview and i was wondering how does the new 2009 citizenship test interview go? she already know all 100 questions by heart but is wondering what ...

Why are White countries so paranoid about non-whites and stingy in granting visas to them?

Additional Details
These White countries even have a visa-free agreement among them. Why dont non-white countries start similar visa-free agreements?...

Does anyone this the economy will get better and how soon?
P...

What do i need to travel outside of the U.S. if i'm a green card holder?
my passport (from my country of citizenship) is expired and i don't have time to renew it. will re-entry papers, my green card and drivers license be enough to go to the Caribbean? i'm a ...

I plan to take american citizen by the end of this year?
I plan to take american citizen by the end of this year, but I dont know how to study to take it. Does anyone know any free service helping people like us to study to pass the citizen exam ?T...

Does marijuana smoking affects a person,s eligibility to apply for a green card after marrying a us citizen?
hi I am an alien and about to marry a us citizen soon,just want to know that if marijuana smoking affects a person,s eligibility to apply for a green card as there is a blood test is involved in this ...

Homeland Security Neapolitan Frees 27 illegals caught breaking the law or prisoners next to release illegals?
Homeland Security Neapolitan Frees 27 illegal caught breaking the law or free all in prisons next to be released with cars and houses and 10,000 cash.Neapolitan illegals do not pose any threat to A...

Workers permit in America?
Hey, I'm Canadian, and I'm interested in getting a workers permit to work in Texas. I've just recently got my gas license and now I'm a qualified Gas Technician. I'm ...

I130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN?
Please help! We got the approval notice from ICS. However, our grand parents are very old now and not in a good shape! What will happen when the sponsors (grand parents) die? Are they going to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links