Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

If my child is born in the UK is he automatic UK citizen?
Find answers to your legal question.

If my child is born in the UK is he automatic UK citizen?

I'm a brazilian citizen who will soon be married to an Italian citizen and we wanted to know if our child will be a Uk citizen if he is born here. We currently reside in the UK and would like to raise our family here.

Mark J
Rating
I sincerely hope not
if your chilkd is born in the US (or Ireland) then they would be. But I hope that is not the case in the UK.

mamour
no,
British citizenship by birth in the United Kingdom
Under the law in effect from 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth;
otherwise he gets parents citizenship

Ollie
Rating
No when the Tories where in power they changed the law.

agius1520
Rating
Only if at least one of the parents has UK citizenship otherwise not.

mikey
Rating
Despite what you're being told here, the answer is no. Your child would have rights of dual nationality for Italy and Brazil..not the UK. This is an issue that comes up time and time again and there's a lot of misinformation. My father was English, my mother was Italian and I was born in Germany. I've looked into it and I am not entitled to German citizenship (not that I'd want it). Even getting Italian nationality could be quite tricky for me, although I'd get it if I was determined enough. Just ask the Home Office..they'll soon tell you.

David C
I think there is confusion here between citizenship and residency. If the child has an Italian passport, he will be able to live and eventually work in the UK as a citizen of a European Union country but he does not have the automatic right to British nationality because neither of you are British. He could apply for Britsh citizenship later but that is a separate issue

Pauper Prince
Your child will be ITALIAN (not British) that makes him EU Citizen who can live & work in UK without restrictions.

Larry B
he shouldn't be, if a cat has kittens in a stable they're not horses are they.

LadyMoon
Rating
No. Unless you have British citizenship yourself or have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, your child will not be a British citizen. The law was changed so that children born after 1983 will inherit their parent's nationalities.

Your child will have dual Brazillian-Italian Citizenship but as an Italian citizen will have the right to live and work in the UK under EU "free movement" laws.

zebbedee
Rating
I'm not entirely sure as, I think, are other answerers. But if you are brazillian and the father is italian I think unless one or both of you are a naturallised UK citizen then the child could take brazillian and italian nationality but could not be a British citizen. If one of you holds a UK passport then I think the child could take UK citizenship. As an example, military personnel serving overseas who have a child, the child cannot take the nationality of that country.

radstar67
Rating
Nope - fortunately!

Natty-Lea
No. Your child will most likely have dual Brazilian-Italian citizenship. Which is still pretty good as Italy is in the EU. If you get an Italian spouse visa it would probably be very easy for you all to move over to the UK later on if you wanted. :-)

luddite
This question is asked so many times. The answer is no.
Neither of you are British citizens, your child will be Brazillian and/or Italian.

Angel
Rating
UK?

The UK is not a country but a Union of,

England,
Scotland,
Wales,
and Northern Ireland,

Your Child cannot have been born in all these countries, eh?

Are you one of these people who only calls England, the UK?

billy billabong
no,thank god.

♥Gillian..
If you are present and settled in the UK then, yes.

If you don't live in the UK then, no.

Oswald W
The days of getting Cheap British Citizenship is now controlled by Forgers and Foreign Nationals not by our government as i see it. If a brazillian woman were to give birth in a pig-sty it would be wrong to consider the baby to be a pig. The baby would be Brazillian if his parents were. That is how we think now. British Citizenship has to be earned.

Freddles
Nope.
You are foreigns
go home the country's full up
byebye

iain xx
Rating
I think your child will be Scottish.
We take them all.

jojo
yes he has automatic right to citizenship, unfortunately you dont. As the italian is a eu citizen as long as he has had a job for 6 months he is eligible to look for work in the uk. so he will be allowed to remain in the uk. Brazillian you dont have automatic right. though as your husband is italian and your son is "british" it is very unlikely you would be asked to leave. you will have to apply for citizenship contact the brazillian embassy in the uk. you should get it.

please ignore the usual zenophobes that inhabit this site

Janchura
If your child was born here he his not a citizen he is 100% English.

♥ gӘm''gӘm ♥
Yes.

Liam O
Rating
Yes he is. He is also entitle to dual citizenship. Uk and Brazilian.

Happy Murcia
Rating
Yes as long as the birth is registerd here.......

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Will The ILLEGAL ALIENS Leave The United States Peacefully Or Will America Have To Impose It's Will On Them???
Will they be Deported peacefull or will they fight violently or will they leave on their own???
Additional Details
There’s only a "legal immigrant" or "illegal alien" ...

Why do people complain about Immigrants not speaking english when english isnt the official langauge of the US
Why do people complain about Immigrants not speaking english when english isnt the official langauge of the US;
There is no actual official Language of the US, English is just the defacto ...

If Mexicans want to come here so bad, why don't they stay there, learn English, and then come here legally?

Additional Details
meaning if they're going to live here, they should learn English. And if they're going to come over, they should do it legally....

If this is the land of freedom, is deporting the Mexicans really fair?

Additional Details
the only reason they come in the first place is to seek work for the better of their families and when they try to come in legaly they are ALWAYS rejected....

Do you think Walmart will be "stopped"??? I HOPE?
so!!! "In this Central Florida city, a city ordinance would prohibit companies from getting business permits, if they hired OR helped illegal aliens,within the past FIVE years!!! Walmart paid a ...

Why are Illegal aliens here?
Persecution? Suppression? Growing Resentment? Others?

Is a Reconciliation Possible or Wanted?
Additional Details
Some very good answers....

If you lived in mexico and couldn't support your family would you cross the border or let your family starve?

Do you think that the united states should limit the number of immigrants who enter country every year?
I'm not taking a poll here, so please don't tell me just yes or no, and a few words of your opinion.
I'd like to get a deep answer, whether you agree or not.
Thank you for ...

Are the days of white male rule coming to an end?

Are you tired of the racial slurs from pro-Americans on this site?
I do not want to hear any more racial slurs against Mexican people, or anyone else for that matter! It is a shame that those words are not blacked out, like other slurs are!
Additional Details

Want to hear some good news?
2,100 illegal immigrants have been arrested across the country today for deportation.
It is called Operation Return to Sender.
Though it is a small amount, it is a start.
Additional D...

Does anyone agree to have illegal immigrants become the US citizen?

If white Americans Were Pouring Over The Border Into Mexico?
At A Rate Of 3 Million + Per Year
Demanding that their children be educated in English,
insisting on welfare,
demonstrating for ballot papers in English rather than Spanish,

******illegal IMMIGRANTS******?
ARE WE GOING TO GET WHAT WE WANT?
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT YESTURDAY?
****MAY 1ST THE HISTORICAL DAY****
Additional Details
I WAS BORN IN CALIFORNIA BUT MY DAD IS MEXICAN AND MY ...

Do you agree with this? One Reporter’s Opinion – Americans Fed Up With Stealth Amnesty?
It is this reporter's opinion that the amnesty crowd won’t die easily.Led by Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, D-Nev., Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., and company, they've tried five times to shove ...

Do you think until we have helped our own homeless, poor, and starving, we should shun illegals?
We still have thousands of starving children here in the US, Homeless people, People who cannot afford Health care or medication, that are dying from The cold of winter and the heat of summer. People ...

Who are the real racists here?
Racism Appears in Escondido
Racism is ugly no matter what color it comes in. And Escondido witnessed it in person at the council meeting on Aug. 16 when dozens of known anti-American racists and ...

To what extent do you feel Americans must go to in protecting their homes, families and nation from illegals?
This is an invasion....

What will happen?

What must we do?...

How long, all Ye' illegal supporters, will you continue to commit felony's?
Section 274 felonies under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, INA 274A(a)(1)(A):

A PERSON(including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a ...

If illegals do all the jobs Americans don't want to do, who did these jobs prior to the invasion?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links