Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

If you move from california to another state in the U.S. how long does it take to be a citizen of that state?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you move from california to another state in the U.S. how long does it take to be a citizen of that state?

and get all the benefits, for example going to college in a state where you are not a citizen costs 10 times as much.

raviet31
Technically speaking, you are not a citizen of a state, but a resident and the length of time you have to be a resident depends on what you are wanting to do.

To get instate tuition, you almost always have to be a resident for at least 1 year, although, I have heard of 6 months in some situations.

However, you are considered a resident pretty much when you move permanently to the state. To help support your residency, you need to register to vote and get a local drivers license. That will help establish when the 1 year time starts.

cypres
Rating
Generally you have to have lived there for 1 year to get the college benefit but as soon as you are a resident you are a "citizen" of that state.

GARYGARY
Rating
You never become a citizen of a USA state. You always be a USA citizen. after that in any state you moove you become a resident. AS soon you have a permenant address- you change your driving Licence- and car registration you considered a a State resident.- contact the college you desire..and you will get all the proper answers that you need.

kittysue2000
Each state has different residency requirements. In some states, it's 6 months, in others 1 year. Some states require you to be working and paying taxes in the state for 1 year, be registered to vote and have a state drivers license before you can be considered a resident.

Check the specific state university websites as they all have information on what constitutes a state resident

Yak Rider
Rating
Usually you can be considered a resident after living there for 30 days. To get in-state tuition for college you must have lived there for 1 year.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does having a grandparent who was a canadian citizen help if I seek citizenship?
I'm an american citizen; my grandfather was a canadian citizen...he had permission to reside in the US (he had to go back every five years to renew his permission), but he never obtained ...

Change of status from B1 to F1 visa approved. now what do I do?
A friend of mine got approved for F1 status on March 25th and contacted the school who had originally issued the I-20 to him. He had informed the school tht he has applied for change of status and he ...

GETTING DEPORTED? HOW TO ENTER THE US.. LEGALLY..?
OK. SO ONCE HE'S DEPORTED. CAN WE ASK FOR A PARDON, AND MAYBE ASK HIM AS MY FIANCE? IT'S MY BF. AND WE HAD PLANS TO GET MARRIED... ANY GOOD ADVICE OUT THER. HE DIDN'T ENTER LEGALLY......

Canadian Marriage Visa Help?
My fiance (from canada) and i (from the US) want to be with each other so bad, so we've decided that we're going to get married to be with each other. We're planning to go through a ...

When Hillary Clinton said America is responsible for Mexico's drug war does she include her husband & Obama 2?
Didn't Obama admit to using cocaine ?
Did Bill Clinton say he smoked dope but did not inhale it ? So are these two guys included in Clinton's allegations as well when she says "I ...

Do you need to be an American citizen to get a US Passport?
My husband is not a US citizen but he is a permanent resident and has a US Social Security Number. Would he be able to get a US passport?
Additional Details
I just want to make sure ...

Will i get finger printed when i apply for u s passport?

Is immigration making the UK recession worse?
With the number of migrants from European states entering the UK for work and the new unemployment rate of 2 million and rising, is migration damaging the UK economy and prolonging the recession? L...

Is illegal immigration devastating our country in Calif when it exceeds over $1 billion a year in 1 state?
Figures from the Department of Public Social Services show that children of illegal aliens in Los Angeles County collected over $21 million in welfare and over $21 million in food stamps in February 2...

Inmigration question?
ok, i have a important question

ok i know this guy that dont have a social security and he have a wife that is pregenant . now the cops came inside the house. the lady open the door the ...

Would a Dual Citizenship take place?
Lets say in a country in central america. A US citizen marries a woman from one of those countries. That woman has a child would that child be a citizen from the US and the country from where he was ...

How do you become a resident permanent of Venezuela?
is it hard or costly? what is the time frame and what is the cheapest safest way to become a resident without any hassle? please do not refer me to a lawyer....

Do anti-immigration activist agree with Hillary Clinton, or will they keep......?
..... blaming Mexico and their people for everything?

http://www.dallasnews.co In Mexico, Clinton says U.S. ...

The immigration game, sarcastic view.?
Immigration is like a game show.

You take it in turns to get under or into a lorry without being seen.
You cling on for dear life, you hide in the darkest corner.
You travel ...

I have some questions on american immigration?
WHO the immigrants to the U.S. were.
* WHAT the process of entering the U.S. was.
* WHERE the places they settled were.
* WHY immigration took place.
* and WHEN and HOW these ...

Iam yuvaraj 4m india n iam mechanical engineer planning to migrate 2 australia, iam havin jus 2 year exp?
is it advisable 2 go with migration process?r else do it after gaining littile more exp.is that possible for me to get into good job with this experience which i have now....

In US in tourist visa before applying K3 here?
Hello

My sister is getting married in India in summer. Her spouse is in US. I am also in US. Can I apply for a tourist visa for my sister before her wedding there and get her to US and can ...

How long from Naturalization to Oath Ceremony?
I went for an interview to submit applications for Naturalization for me and British citizenship for my 4 children at the end of last month.

Today I received the outcome - we have been ...

Hi i m from pakistan and my wife is citizen of lithunia how to go there or what to do ?
for this i think i wil need temporary residence permit in Lithuania but i wanted to know which documents they will need from me ?...

Hi im looking to apply for a VISA for USA?
What do i need or that could help me get in granted so i could move to america

Also i want to become a holiday rep, whereabout would be the best places to go?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links