Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

My father is Born American, but i was born in Mexico, What do i need and do to be American Citizen?
Find answers to your legal question.

My father is Born American, but i was born in Mexico, What do i need and do to be American Citizen?

Additional Details
I was born in Mexico because my parents were on vacation, and my mother had to give birth there!


are both parents americans. beuase they should have filed papers asap to make you a legal american. where do you live now?

they should know this. if not you can call www.state.gov and find out if yuo are legal. do you have a social security card. because only legal americans can have them.

Read this FAQ to answer that question in detail. It doesn't cover everything, but covers nearly every situation similar to your own.

The general rules are:
Your child is an American citizen if he or she was born in the USA.

Your child is also a citizen if he or she was born abroad and both parents are US citizens at least one of whom resided in the US or possession.

If only one parent is a US citizen, that parent must have been physically present in the US or possession at least five years prior to the child's birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14.

Different rules apply for children born out of wedlock or born before 1986.

David G

If you were born abroad to TWO U.S. citizens:

And at least one of your parents lived in the United States at some point in his or her life, then in most cases you are a U.S. citizen.

Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you may file an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) with USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship. Call the USCIS Forms Line at 1-800-870-3676 to request
Form N-600, or download the form at www.uscis.gov.



Get your father's birth certificate, and go to the local US Consulate...they can assist you. You already are a US Citizen. You just need to get a paper like a US Passport to show it.

Joel W
Get the birth certificate with his name on it, and then claim your citizenship. If you cannot do that, I do not believe you can regain your citizenship.

If You are under 18, You are American, and Your dad may apply for Your USA passport, Its'n, He has to fill it up the form I-130 for You and wait for a green card, and after 5 years apply for American citizenship....good luck

Handy Andy
Well,...first you need to have a SERIOUS Son to father talk with him about what`s going on here?...he was born in U.S. & you were born in Mexico....maybe some son to father chastisment would be in order...And then you decide your next step from there on.

William O
Is your father willing to help you? If not your out of luck. Claiming a US father is not enough nor is having a US name on a birth certificate. If he isn't willing to help there's not much you can do. Sorry!

How old are you? If your father is willing to help and your under 18 he can file a consular report of birth abroad. Due to the amount of time after birth they will want a DNA test.

If your over 18 there are other methods. If you need more info come back with more information about your situation.

Osama S
you have to go a process

Mo Fayed
Become Born Again I suppose.

Steve C one man think-tank
you are a citizen just because your dad is a citizen

Daniel the Great
My dad is American and he married a Mexican woman. My mom had no US citizenship whatsoever, so they couldn't have had me in the US, so I was born in Mexico. When I was born, I was already given US Citizenship because my dad was American. I was American even though I was born in Mexico. Cool thing is that I can live in both Countries.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Why do people label me as a Pro-illegal immigrant supporter just because I defend undocumented immigrants?
It should be away for undocumented immigrants living and working here to get legal. i believe in second chances.

I’m for securing our borders and keeping out illegal aliens. Repeat I don’...

 Why did america sound so appealing to Italian immigrants?
In the 1800's/1900's when everyone started immigrating to A...

 How long till immigrants to England are that majority ?
At the current rate of immigration to the U.K How many years before there are more immigrants than British people. I want a a proper answer please, from someone who knows the figures, not from ...

 Im a I-130 visa overstayer and i was wondering when should i receive my green card when i applied in 2001.?
ok well i am the child of the couple who filed the petition and i am wondering because i want to go to college and go on with my life but this is holding me back to reach my full potential.

 How to bring my mom and brother?
i'm a Permanent Residence of USA. i want to bring my mon and brother. They tried coming on there own from Peru with a visiting Visa and they kept on denying. So, i dont know if i could petion ...

 What do you the think the reason is that we can't get jobs to support the economy of North Carolina?
Hi, I am doing a project on the affect on local schools and the economy of North Carolina caused by the Generation Xers (also known as the Baby Boomers) and the Great Depression (1929-1943). If you ...

 I'm non Saudi Girl,I did marry Saudi man in the UK. my husband requested permission. how long this take?pls..?
My Husband family apply 4 month ago for our permission, we marry here in the UK and everything was perfect no problems no extra papers just our passport but now we are facing the Saudi reality. ...

 Do you think mexicans should leave the U.S. right now?
WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton set out for Mexico Wednesday to pursue a broad diplomatic agenda that will be overshadowed by spiraling drug violence and fears of greater cross-...

 Moving from winnipeg to scotland what do i need paper work wise help me if u can shes waiting for me?
Additional Details
am moving to live with her will we need to get married so i can ...

 I want to migrate to the U.S what should I do?

 Visa/work advice on going to canada?
im a mechanic from england and have no criminal record, im a qualified mechanic and specialise in bodywork on cars. I want to go live in canada, at least for a month or three and if everything goes ...

 Ineed my mother visiting visa can you help me how can get in?
i need visiting visa for my mother my profusion computer technician how can get visa my family not yet ...

 If someone get arrested by ICE?
They are able to post bond and have a immigration hearing. What actually happens when someone gets picked ...

 Whom should i file a complaint about misconduct of clark pampanga airport immigration officers?
the didn'd allow my 2 sisters a while ago to pass the immigrations though all their papers are legal....

 Is Obama the best or what? he will bring down this country inside two years. good days?
is it me, or is it time for a, i told you so? its the end of America as i know it, and i feel fine. how can i join acorn?...

 What are the things I need (ie requirements) to move to canada?
I'm a chef that wants to move to montreal and would like to know what needs to happen for that to work. thanks guys!...

 I have written my given name wrongly during my application for UK visa?
Instead of giving my full name i have written only my first name and my surname. Is it a possibility i might get refused?...

 My wife owns me and my life, because she gave me a greencard.?
I graduated from college a year back with my Accounting degree and then got married. My wife helped me get my greencard. I work two jobs to make ends meet, while my wife is on disability. We recently ...

 Immigration: Arrival into United Kingdom?
If one is being held by the MI5/MI6 or the police at an airport when returning back to United Kingdom, for no reason and and freed.

Should one go thorugh the non EU passport line and and ...

 The agency don't want to return my passport back, what shall I do?
Last year I was applying for work abroad through agency, here in cagayan de oro, I paid a processing fee for 5,000 pesos, I do sign a blank contract after I finished my medical. And they said that my ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, February 11, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links